The right stuff (Connection Settings Help)

November 28, 2004 12:40:27 PM

Okay, I have a Windows 2003 Box at home (Student) running RRAS. I also
have a Dell Axim x30. What I'd like to do is set it up so that I can VPN
home (which is already working for my laptop) then active sync.

For whatever reason my Jornada could not Active Sync with my 2003 box,
if I connected via VPN, it would start to connect, then get a protocol
error. I dunno if this is related to Async and VPN server being the same
box or what.

However I can't figure out what settings I need interms of Work and
Internet Wireless Networks, to get it to VPN.

Now lets say I'm at 'my work' or 'school' or even a 'hotspot' I beieleve
that these wireless profiles should be set to internet right, and that
only my home wlan should be set to work. Then when I try to activesync
it should VPN home right?

Or do I have that backwards or just plain wrong.

Steve R
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 12:40:28 PM

Look at these pages for help with this issue...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818199

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WM2003PPTP...
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/PPTP_VPN/H...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Steve Ramage" <vanforsale6@sjrx.net> wrote in message news:f2hqd.359541$Pl.245504@pd7tw1no...
> Okay, I have a Windows 2003 Box at home (Student) running RRAS. I also
> have a Dell Axim x30. What I'd like to do is set it up so that I can VPN
> home (which is already working for my laptop) then active sync.
>
> For whatever reason my Jornada could not Active Sync with my 2003 box,
> if I connected via VPN, it would start to connect, then get a protocol
> error. I dunno if this is related to Async and VPN server being the same
> box or what.
>
> However I can't figure out what settings I need interms of Work and
> Internet Wireless Networks, to get it to VPN.
>
> Now lets say I'm at 'my work' or 'school' or even a 'hotspot' I beieleve
> that these wireless profiles should be set to internet right, and that
> only my home wlan should be set to work. Then when I try to activesync
> it should VPN home right?
>
> Or do I have that backwards or just plain wrong.
>
> Steve R
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:55:49 PM

So close and yet so far,

I can't MSN and ASync at the same time, why can't they fix this *sob*, I
can't check my work network connects to the internet. If I have a
seperate profile for internet conneciton. And basically my VPN and MSN
fight with eachother.

This is a Dell Axim x30, it can VPN fine, but when I do, i get
disconnected from my MSN, and if I MSN, I get disconnected from my VPN.
Its JUST this profile garbage, as stuff like Pocket IRC, work normally
and aren't programmed to "Hmmmm well lets see instead of checking if
there is internet connectivity, I'm going to check if there is a valid
combination of profiles for me to connect".

Help

Steve R

!