Dirk

I downloaded an AVI file and now I am unable to delete
it, even though I have rebooted my PC. The message
is "Cannot delete filename [found via
www.fileDonkey.com]: it is being used by another person
or program.
And it isn't. Any help anyone.
Thanks!!

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

it's a stupid xp bug.

delete this regkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE >Classes > CLSID >
{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}> InProcServer32

"Dirk" wrote:

> I downloaded an AVI file and now I am unable to delete
> it, even though I have rebooted my PC. The message
> is "Cannot delete filename [found via
> www.fileDonkey.com]: it is being used by another person
> or program.
> And it isn't. Any help anyone.
> Thanks!!

If Donkey is like Mule, then it is a P2P file download tool which remains in
use for other users on the net. It sets up your computer to participate as
a server for file sharing across the net, so it might well be in use even
though you are not using it.

"Dirk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded an AVI file and now I am unable to delete
> it, even though I have rebooted my PC. The message
> is "Cannot delete filename [found via
> www.fileDonkey.com]: it is being used by another person
> or program.
> And it isn't. Any help anyone.
> Thanks!!

Hi Dirk,

Open the media player, remove the file from the playlist. Close the media
player, then try deleting the file.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dirk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded an AVI file and now I am unable to delete
> it, even though I have rebooted my PC. The message
> is "Cannot delete filename [found via
> www.fileDonkey.com]: it is being used by another person
> or program.
> And it isn't. Any help anyone.
> Thanks!!

Hi

Try deleting the file from a command prompt. Failing that, try Safe Mode.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Dirk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded an AVI file and now I am unable to delete
> it, even though I have rebooted my PC. The message
> is "Cannot delete filename [found via
> www.fileDonkey.com]: it is being used by another person
> or program.
> And it isn't. Any help anyone.
> Thanks!!

Dirk

Apologies, as I am about as technical as paper aeroplane,
but how do I delete from a command prompt or via Safe
mode?

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

dirk, you can delete the regkey i posted. it's safe and it'll let you delete
the file afterwards.

if you want to use the command prompt, you need to get to the directory and
type in the command. something like: del file.avi. if it's longer than one
word, you'll need quotes.

"Dirk" wrote:

> Apologies, as I am about as technical as paper aeroplane,
> but how do I delete from a command prompt or via Safe
> mode?

TRENDING THREADS