Windows 7 upgrading to SSD

Fugitivelama

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hello,
I just purchased a new SSD drive and would like to transfer just windows 7 to it for now. I am wondering what is the best way to do this. I have an HP machine with recovery disks and a windows 7 product key on a stick on the computer. Would I be best removing hard drive and replacing with SSD and inserting recovery disks or is there a way with my product key that I can download just windows 7 and install it to the new SSD alone with a boot disc and then re install old hard drive for the programs and data. I know very little about BIOS and such if that is needed

Fugitivelama

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I know very little about this stuff , by clean install do you mean to remove the current HDD and put the SSD in the same exact spot and then use the recovery disks that HP provides? I do not have any windows 7 DVDs I just have 3 DVDs I made from a program HP provided. The SSD is only 80GB so if I could avoid the HP crap by downloading windows 7 with my product key I would prefer that way I think , unless it is way more compliacted , I am fine with burning ISO's and such

Fugitivelama

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Would anyone know how i would go about getting a fresh copy to use with my current product key that is on a sticker on the case of the computer? I just tried to swicth out the Hard drives and re-install using HPs recovery discs however as soon as i start the recovery process it tells me that the hard drive is smaller than the one shipped with the computer and the recovery process can not continue and it only gives me the option to exit and reboot

I'd suggest this:

1. With machine off, install SSD and disconnect data cable to HD.
2. Install Windows to SSD, run windows update get it all updated.
3. Turn off machine and lug in HD

Now you can boot to either storage device via the BIOS. If the SSD install gets fudged for any reason can use thew HD bot to restore a backup image.

Fugitivelama

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
How can I install windows 7 is my basic question then, All that I have are the HP recovery disc's which will not let me re-install because I am using a different hard drive (which I found out from an HP guy on the phone saying it wont work unless i buy the hard drive through them that shipped with the PC). Is there somewhere I can download windows 7 and use the product key from the windows sticker on my computer or will that not work cause the product key came with this stupid HP machine