runt23

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I am purchasing a pentium d 930, nvidia 7900gt pcie. 1 gig ddr2 800mhz ram.

I've been looking around, posting here and there but no one has been able to toss me a good suggestion on which board. It is easy to pick a top of the line motherboard. I have a small budget for the mobo. I could spend $170, but that is an awful lot and im above my budget to begin with.

Now I was thinking of... Asus p5wd2 with the 955x chipset. Is there anything comparable to this with pcie 16x, ddr2 800, overclocking but not such a steap price? Also I've heard complaints about 9xx's with this board and some memory problems. What do you all suggest? =)

Thanks in advance.

lbax

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I am currently running the ASUS P5WD2 with the 955X chipset. I would not buy this board again myself. I have have several problems & some of them appear to have no work arounds (boot problems w/ FSB over 242). My plan is to replace it with a 965p chipset board when they become available (July?). The P5WD2 may work OK for you if you do not plan to OC over a modest amount. However, given its premium price, I feel short changed.

runt23

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I do not need to overclock. Id be more implied to get a mobo with a setup that works out of the box and needs minimal attention to bios updates in order to keep functionality.

I just want a good motherboard. I can afford some of the nice ones, but I still want to spend my money wisely.

All this bad stuff about that mother board really pushs me away. I dont want to get it and end up trivializing all the other hardware I buy because of one bad purchase.