If I use DNS AD-integrated, is the system state backup goi..

If I do AD backups (I am doing system state backups of DC's) and I need to
do a full restore of AD, is all DNS information going to be restored as well
? (DNS-AD integrated).
3 answers Last reply
More about integrated system state backup

    Marlon,

    Further to what Andrei stated, DNS - if AD integrated - is indeed stored in
    the Domain Partition, or Naming Context. That much is clear.

    But what are these Partitions? Active Directory is chopped up into three
    pieces - the Schema Partition, the Configuration Partition and the Domain
    Partition. The first two Partitions, or Naming Contexts, are replicated to
    all Domain Controllers in the entire Forest. The Domain NC, however, is
    replicated only to those DCs in that specific Domain. So, if you have an
    empty Root Forest and three sub-domain ( for a total of four domains ) you
    would have the Schema NC and the Configuration NC being replicated to all
    Domain Controllers in the entire Forest ( so, to the DCs in the empty root
    and to the DCs in each of the three sub-domains ). However, the Domain
    Partition ( and there would be four of them ) only is replicated to the DCs
    in that domain. I repeated for emphasis. The empty root ( yourdomain.com )
    would have a Domain NC; sub1.yourdomain.com would have another Domain NC;
    sub2.yourdomain.com would have another Domain NC and finally
    sub3.yourdomain.com would have another Domain NC.

    HTH,

    Cary

    "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If I do AD backups (I am doing system state backups of DC's) and I need to
    > do a full restore of AD, is all DNS information going to be restored as
    well
    > ? (DNS-AD integrated).

    yes ... in DNS AD-Integrated mode the DNS is stored in Active Directory in
    the domain partition.

    --
    Andrei Ungureanu
    www.eventid.net

    "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If I do AD backups (I am doing system state backups of DC's) and I need to
    > do a full restore of AD, is all DNS information going to be restored as
    > well
    > ? (DNS-AD integrated).

    Just a for info really, in addition to what the other guys have said...the
    system state can only be restored in it's entirety. Don't think that just
    because AD-I DNS is part of the system state can you only restore DNS. You
    can't. It's all or nothing.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net
    http://forums.msresource.net

    "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    If I do AD backups (I am doing system state backups of DC's) and I need to
    do a full restore of AD, is all DNS information going to be restored as well
    ? (DNS-AD integrated).

Backup DNS Active Directory Windows