os question

G

Hello this may be the wrong forum to ask this question but I know nothing about linux only heard of it within the last year. I know now that it's been around but not as main stream. I currently have win98 se what are the advantages to linux and will all my hardware and software be compatiable with it?

Just think when the price comes down and all the bugs are worked out it will be obsolete!

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
1. Advantages - Stability, tons of useful freeware and it is highly customizable.

2. Hardware - Most of the newer distro's support the latest hardware but you would have to be more specific. Basically you can get everything to work but expect problems with getting USB, video cards (the 3d capabilities can be difficult, almost all cards will work in 2d), and winmodems.

3. Software - None of your windows software will work in Linux. But there are tons of free software out there that have some or more than the capabilites of your windows software.

Give it a try, although the software is free do not attempt Linux without a big fat book. Pick up one of the giant RedHat Linux books out there before your attempt. You are going to definately need a reference.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

nyt

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
A rather unfortunate thing about linux is the lack of games. A bunch of games are compatible, but not all, and sometimes they don't always work. Just my experiance anyway, I'm not really a linux pro.

--
Intel inside, AMD outside.

G

i reckon the easiest distro to pick up as a newbie (and i still reckon i am one when it comes to linux...) is mandrake 8.0 detected almost all of my hardware (isa nic excepted), has wizards for firewalls, net connects, more than enough programs and the lists on the mandrake site are full of helpful lurkers....

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Being a newbie with Linux and SuSe7.2 I don't see any advantage yet. Real frustrating getting the operating system installed in a duel boot setup. Finding the right mouse driver just so that my fricken mouse will work right was also frustrating. Reading through a number of database FAQ at SuSe.com had a number of broken links and really didn't help at all. I don't like reading page after page of settings to get things working. Bottom line is I am not realy familiar with Linux and I am having problems. As time goes on maybe I will even like it and then who knows maybe a love relationship will develope. So far it is like a girl you don't like but always find yourself with her, eventually you both start liking each other or self destruct.

<b><font color=blue>1.5</b></font color=blue> T-Bird
<b><font color=red>2.1</b></font color=red> P4 Speed

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I walked away from Linux in utter frustration at least 3 times before I got used to it. Patience is definately a virtue when dealing with Linux. For home recreational use it's not the greatest, sometimes you just want to click and be done. But personally I would choose Linux over WinNT as a server any day of the week. In the long run it's actually a bit less confusing, it takes more manual work to setup but if you've ever fooled with Windows Licensing you'd understand.

Just stick with it, when you get frustrated ,walk away for a month or so and then come back. Eventually your stays will become longer and longer and the OS starts to improve as well (Substitutes for all your Windows Apps are available for free).

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I know, I am just so brain washed with Microsoft way of doing things. Just think I used to be really good on the Amiga then went to OS/2, played around with Windows3.1 and bad mouthed it to the hills. Now I am using Win98se on my laptop, WinMe on two computers, W2K and now SuSe7.2 not to mention Dos. My brain is just fried from Microsoft. Thanks for the encouragement.

<b><font color=blue>1.5</b></font color=blue> T-Bird
<b><font color=red>2.1</b></font color=red> P4 Speed