Sign in with
Your question

GFWL Does not open - problem with KernelBase.dll / .NET Framework

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
April 30, 2011 11:47:54 PM

Hello,
I have been trying to get Games for Windows Marketplace working for a couple days now, so I can play the new AoE online beta, I asked their forums and got no response. So I'm posting here because I've gotten good advice before! :)  The client installed fine, but upon trying to run it just shows the splash logo then closes with no warning. It seems to try to run the .exe in task manager but then it just disappears. The event logs gives two errors each time a try. (I included the logs at the bottom in the spoilers).

Things I have tried already:
-uninstalled and reinstalled GFWL like 20 times
-did the same with .NET Framework
-tried running GFWL as admin
-made sure I had all the latest video drivers installed
-have all the important windows updates installed
-I'm running on win 7 x64 (have the latest service pack)
-called tech support number on the windows site and talked to some guy for like 2 hours and nothing we tried worked, lol

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry if this is the wrong forum (I couldn't really tell where this issue belonged).

Spoiler
Application: GFWLClient.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.EntryPointNotFoundException
Stack:
at Microsoft.GamesForWindows.LiveClient.App.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
at Microsoft.GamesForWindows.LiveClient.App.Main()

Spoiler
Faulting application name: GFWLClient.exe, version: 3.4.54.0, time stamp: 0x4cd50651
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7bafa
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000b727
Faulting process id: 0x780
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc078c134d7a4d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client\GFWLClient.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 517109fb-737f-11e0-b3be-0026185baa71
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2011 11:57:57 PM

Have you tried registering KernelBase.dll ?
m
l
May 1, 2011 12:23:09 AM

Just tried... I think... typed into command prompt. "Regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Kernelbase.dll"

It said:
"The module 'C:\Windows\System32\Kernelbase.dll' was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "c:\windows\System32\Kernelbase.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

not sure if I did it right, just tried some instructions from google. That's the exact file location of the dll though, I made sure.
m
l
May 1, 2011 8:21:25 PM

Any other ideas? I'm prob just gonna do a fresh install of windows if I can't figure this out. Hopefully that will fix it.
m
l
!