Dragonfall

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
My comp's a little old, and just today I finally realized that I've been using a 250watt power supply when the AIW9800 pro requires at least 300watts. Could the missing 50 watts have hampered performance in any significant way?

If the AIW9800Pro has been running fine, then the "missing 50w" will not have affected it's performance. If the GPU was really starving for more watts, then the system would have crashed by now. So in a nutshell, you are okay.

If you plan on adding anything else to your PC like another hard drive or do some overclocking (assuming you are not OC'ing now), then you should upgrade to a more powerful PSU.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
If the AIW9800Pro has been running fine, then the "missing 50w" will not have affected it's performance. If the GPU was really starving for more watts, then the system would have crashed by now. So in a nutshell, you are okay.

If you plan on adding anything else to your PC like another hard drive or do some overclocking (assuming you are not OC'ing now), then you should upgrade to a more powerful PSU.

i like the sig jag.

Dragonfall

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I plan on getting an evga 7800 superclock agp and give this comp one last boost. Will a 450W power supply be sufficient?

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
If its Evga or XfX , probably better safe off with a 500watt psu. I reccomend the 78 series at least a 500watt psu, a 7900 series at least a 550watt, but depends if the psu's are, true power1.0 or 2.0, High efficiency9which is the best) smart power. Different psu's different provisions of power.
Its all in the wrist :D

sailer

Splendid
I agree, at least a 550 wt, even 600 wt, especially if upgrading is done in the future. Maybe overkill at the moment, but add some modern hardware and the power requirements go up fast. I hate having to buy the same part over and over again because I didn't get something powerful enough the first time.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
i like the sig jag.

Thanks, I got sick of all those AMD and Intel Fanboys in the CPU section. There seems to be more AMD fanboys though. Nothing wrong with being loyal to a namebrand to a certain degree. I prefer to make my CPU purchase based on performance. At this point in time that seems to be Conroe.

thats why i dont post there.