Can't Run Networked Files From HP PPC 2003 v2 PDA. WHY NOT?

November 28, 2004 6:58:21 PM

I have an HP hx4700, and although I can see the files on my network server
(NAS) - mostly .wma and some Word & Excel, they won't run when I tap on
them. I realize that a desktop version of an Excel file may not be
digestible by the Pocket PC version of that program, but why can't I open
music files? If I can view the files on a network server from a Pocket PC,
it suggests that I should be able to do something with them.
Is there an obscure software switch that I need to set? Or am I missing a
plug-in or something?

To reply directly, please delete the //nospam&& from the e-mail
ddress. -George
November 30, 2004 6:30:32 PM

You can copy/paste them on your PPC

"George" <news@//nospam&&georgearthur.net> wrote in message
>I have an HP hx4700, and although I can see the files on my network server
>(NAS) - mostly .wma and some Word & Excel, they won't run when I tap on
>them. I realize that a desktop version of an Excel file may not be
>digestible by the Pocket PC version of that program, but why can't I open
>music files? If I can view the files on a network server from a Pocket PC,
>it suggests that I should be able to do something with them.
> Is there an obscure software switch that I need to set? Or am I missing a
> plug-in or something?
>
> To reply directly, please delete the //nospam&& from the e-mail
> dress. -George

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 30, 2004 6:30:33 PM

to actually "run" them you need a third party app, such as Resco File
Explorer, or Netrunner. KB is correct, the default file explorer allows you
to cut/paste only.

"KB" <kb@geocities.com> wrote in message
| You can copy/paste them on your PPC
|

| "George" <news@//nospam&&georgearthur.net> wrote in message
| >I have an HP hx4700, and although I can see the files on my network
server
| >(NAS) - mostly .wma and some Word & Excel, they won't run when I tap on
| >them. I realize that a desktop version of an Excel file may not be
| >digestible by the Pocket PC version of that program, but why can't I open
| >music files? If I can view the files on a network server from a Pocket
PC,
| >it suggests that I should be able to do something with them.
| > Is there an obscure software switch that I need to set? Or am I missing
| > plug-in or something?
| >
| > To reply directly, please delete the //nospam&& from the e-mail
| > dress. -George

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 30, 2004 6:30:33 PM

You can also use a file explorer like netuse (freeware) or Resco's File
explorer($$$) to let you play files directly from the network share.

rights...

!