GPO, MSI, Elevated Priviledges

JJ

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

If I enable the "install with elevated priviledges" GPO settings to Publish
my MSI, DOES that also open up the Computers to being able to install ANY
MSI's - even ones that are on CD, on Internet, etc (MSI outside of my AD)?

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

It normally opens up "Elevated Priviledges", in this case for *.MSI on all
the objects in that OU.

Rikke

"JJ" wrote:

> If I enable the "install with elevated priviledges" GPO settings to Publish
> my MSI, DOES that also open up the Computers to being able to install ANY
> MSI's - even ones that are on CD, on Internet, etc (MSI outside of my AD)?
>

> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

Is that a setting on the OU (container) or on the PACKAGE
definition?

If the latter, it would apply only to the particular MSI package
definition....

--
Herb Martin

"rikke" <rikke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It normally opens up "Elevated Priviledges", in this case for *.MSI on all
> the objects in that OU.
>
> Rikke
>
> "JJ" wrote:
>
> > If I enable the "install with elevated priviledges" GPO settings to
Publish
> > my MSI, DOES that also open up the Computers to being able to install
ANY
> > MSI's - even ones that are on CD, on Internet, etc (MSI outside of my
AD)?

> > Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

In the GPO of the OU.

What I would do is use the remote installation service since it are MSI
packages you want to install. This is also lives into the GPO of an OU.

"Herb Martin" wrote:

> Is that a setting on the OU (container) or on the PACKAGE
> definition?
>
> If the latter, it would apply only to the particular MSI package
> definition....
>
> --
> Herb Martin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

> In the GPO of the OU.
>
> What I would do is use the remote installation service since it are MSI
> packages you want to install. This is also lives into the GPO of an OU.

I thought the whole discussion was the GPO software
installation packages?

Elevated privileges on that would apply strictly to that
single package, would they not?

All of this is irrelevant to whether it is a GPO on a Site,
Domain, or an OU.

--
Herb Martin

"rikke" <rikke.nospam@vanpuymbroeck.be> wrote in message
> In the GPO of the OU.
>
> What I would do is use the remote installation service since it are MSI
> packages you want to install. This is also lives into the GPO of an OU.
>
> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > Is that a setting on the OU (container) or on the PACKAGE
> > definition?
> >
> > If the latter, it would apply only to the particular MSI package
> > definition....
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

Tinfoil hat securely fastened, JJ pounded the keyboard to produce

> If I enable the "install with elevated priviledges" GPO settings to Publish
> my MSI, DOES that also open up the Computers to being able to install ANY
> MSI's - even ones that are on CD, on Internet, etc (MSI outside of my AD)?

If you do it this way, then yes:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gp/324.asp

If you do it this way, then no:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=WIND700E&articleid=Q105140

Laura
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

Tinfoil hat securely fastened, JJ pounded the keyboard to produce

> If I enable the "install with elevated priviledges" GPO settings to Publish
> my MSI, DOES that also open up the Computers to being able to install ANY
> MSI's - even ones that are on CD, on Internet, etc (MSI outside of my AD)?

Both URLs should provide an answer of "yes"; I need to not type so fast.

So, the short answer to your question is:

Yes.

Laura
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

circa Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:04:31 -0600, in
microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory, Herb Martin
(news@LearnQuick.com) said,
> > In the GPO of the OU.
> >
> > What I would do is use the remote installation service since it are MSI
> > packages you want to install. This is also lives into the GPO of an OU.
>
> I thought the whole discussion was the GPO software
> installation packages?
>
> Elevated privileges on that would apply strictly to that
> single package, would they not?
>
> All of this is irrelevant to whether it is a GPO on a Site,
> Domain, or an OU.

Where in Group Policy do you find this setting to specify elevated
privileges for the package?

Laura
-Oscar Wilde