Backup or Secondary domain server

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 26, 2004 10:51:08 AM

Dear all,

We have a Primary domain server running Active Directory. We would
like in another not so strong machine to have a backup of all the
users/rights of the primary. We have Microsoft Windows 2003 server to
both. Can i do it?

Sincerely
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 1:59:58 PM

CJK wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We have a Primary domain server running Active Directory. We would
> like in another not so strong machine to have a backup of all the
> users/rights of the primary. We have Microsoft Windows 2003 server to
> both. Can i do it?
>
> Sincerely

Yes, you can put another domain controller in place, as long as you have
another valid license for Windows 2003. Just install the OS, patch it, and
run dcpromo.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 9:10:42 PM

Hi,

If you have only Win2K Server DCs in a domain and attempt to run Dcpromo
from a Windows 2003 server so that it can join the domain, the command will
fail and the error message that the figure at
http://www.windowsitpro.com/articles/images/install2003...
gif shows will be displayed. Before you can make a Windows 2003 server a
DC in an existing Win2K Server domain, you must run the forest and domain
preparation utility--Adprep--which you can find in the \i386 folder on the
Windows 2003 CD-ROM--by running the commands

adprep /forestprep
adprep /domainprep
Be aware that these commands alter the schema and configuration of your
forest and domain--especially if you have Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server
installed--which can cause problems with the Windows 2003 forest preparation

Thanks,

sjhari@online.microsoft.com

December 10, 2004 2:47:16 AM

My problem here at the company is that i am not secure with my users
accounts in the active directory. I mean since i have only one computer
running win 2003 server as active directory with all the users rights
over there, what happens when this computer dies or something. I would
like another computer with all those users rights and resctrictions.
Please any good advice will be appriciated.

Sincerely
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:47:56 PM

koulis_constantine@infoland.ro wrote:
> My problem here at the company is that i am not secure with my users
> accounts in the active directory. I mean since i have only one
> computer running win 2003 server as active directory with all the
> users rights over there, what happens when this computer dies or
> something. I would like another computer with all those users rights
> and resctrictions. Please any good advice will be appriciated.
>
> Sincerely

Right - so another DC is a good option. See the previous reply.
!