Backup or Secondary domain server

Dear all,

We have a Primary domain server running Active Directory. We would
like in another not so strong machine to have a backup of all the
users/rights of the primary. We have Microsoft Windows 2003 server to
both. Can i do it?

Sincerely
4 answers Last reply
More about backup secondary domain server

    CJK wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > We have a Primary domain server running Active Directory. We would
    > like in another not so strong machine to have a backup of all the
    > users/rights of the primary. We have Microsoft Windows 2003 server to
    > both. Can i do it?
    >
    > Sincerely

    Yes, you can put another domain controller in place, as long as you have
    another valid license for Windows 2003. Just install the OS, patch it, and
    run dcpromo.

    Hi,

    If you have only Win2K Server DCs in a domain and attempt to run Dcpromo
    from a Windows 2003 server so that it can join the domain, the command will
    fail and the error message that the figure at
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/articles/images/install2003dcinto2000foresterror
    gif shows will be displayed. Before you can make a Windows 2003 server a
    DC in an existing Win2K Server domain, you must run the forest and domain
    preparation utility--Adprep--which you can find in the \i386 folder on the
    Windows 2003 CD-ROM--by running the commands

    adprep /forestprep
    adprep /domainprep
    Be aware that these commands alter the schema and configuration of your
    forest and domain--especially if you have Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server
    installed--which can cause problems with the Windows 2003 forest preparation

    Thanks,

    sjhari@online.microsoft.com

    My problem here at the company is that i am not secure with my users
    accounts in the active directory. I mean since i have only one computer
    running win 2003 server as active directory with all the users rights
    over there, what happens when this computer dies or something. I would
    like another computer with all those users rights and resctrictions.
    Please any good advice will be appriciated.

    Sincerely

    koulis_constantine@infoland.ro wrote:
    > My problem here at the company is that i am not secure with my users
    > accounts in the active directory. I mean since i have only one
    > computer running win 2003 server as active directory with all the
    > users rights over there, what happens when this computer dies or
    > something. I would like another computer with all those users rights
    > and resctrictions. Please any good advice will be appriciated.
    >
    > Sincerely

    Right - so another DC is a good option. See the previous reply.

Domain Servers Backup Microsoft Active Directory Windows