shockwave1831

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
what application or what point is sata II running at this speed?
I have 2 300g seagate 7200rpm sata II and haven't been able to notice if things are running as they should.I am riding the short bus so keep responses simple for my I.Q. THANKS ALOT!!

draxsath

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
SATA II can theoretically reach 300mb/s (as far as I know). But in practice it never does.

I just got a SATA2 system and it runs at 150 mb/s burst and 65 mb/s continuously. If you have an nForce motherboard you can test the speed in the hardware manager.

For anyone looking to upgrade only for the sake of SATA2, i would have to caution you on that. I was building a new computer anyway, but if you are looking to upgrade your motherboard just for SATA2, I would recommend that you wait for your next major upgrade.

SATA2 is faster than the alternatives, but not that much faster.

If you want a serious boost in speed, I recommend getting a hard drive with 16mb of cache, they are extremely fast and fairly cheap. You can get a Maxtor 250gb, 7200rpm, 16mb cache drive for about $100.

Hope that helps!

As for why it runs so slow compared to its advertised speed, I have no idea. New technology tends not to live up to it's boasting in the first few years or so.

what application or what point is sata II running at this speed?
I have 2 300g seagate 7200rpm sata II and haven't been able to notice if things are running as they should.I am riding the short bus so keep responses simple for my I.Q. THANKS ALOT!!

Short answer...at no point is the drive transfering data at 3GB/s...that's is the rated speed of the drive and not the actual speed across the pci bus.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
ok Im not totally sure on this but this is what I understand.

There is SATA 1 and SATA 2 now in the SATA 1 category hdds there are SATA 150 and 300. the hdd labeled SATA 300 are just a better version of SATA 150 but are still technically SATA 1 spec not SATA 2 spec. As far as I know there is no true SATA 2 Hdd out that meet the spec.

Like the person above said SATA 300s don’t reach 300gbs which I think is the spec for SATA 2 so hdd just need to get up to transferring at 300gbs continuously before they will truly be SATA 2 spec