Repadmin Error Message

Josh

All:

I currently have a Windows 2000 AD Domain that spans 4 sites. I was getting
KCC errors in my log and I ran repadmin /showreps. Everything came back okay
except for 1 error. There is an error message saying that replication to one
domain controller failed with "result 8524: The DSA operation is unable to
proceed because of a DNS lookup failure." The last success was several
months ago and there are 21,448 consecutive failures. I am able to ping this
site and the domain controller. Please advise.

Thanks.

Hello Josh,

You may have have DNS problems. Please run dcdiag /v from the command line
of both domain controllers. Make sure the second domain controller has the
first DC has its preferred DNS server. Leave the alternate DNS server field
blank.

Also make sure the preferred DNS server on the first DC is itself.

Then run ipconfig /flushdns on both servers and restart the netlogon
service on both.

Keep in mind that when you fix replication, users will still be
authenticated by either one of your DCs. There isnt anyway to point
everyone to a particular DC.

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS
NET STOP NETLOGON
NET START NETLOGON

Probably 6 of one 1/2 dozen of another, but thought it worth mentioning.
I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

If possible try restarting both the domain controllers and run dcdiag and
netdiag on both systems.

Thanks,

sjhari@online.microsoft.com