How crippling is a low fsb?

All right, I've got an athlon xp-m (socket a) which runs at 2133 Mhz (16 x 133). Now I've run superpi and I get 1 min. and 1 second, which seems kind of slow to me. I have also run Aquamark 3 which gave me about 33500, I don't really know if that's bad or normal though. And my system specs are:

Athlon xp-m 2800+ (2133Mhz)
ECS L7S7A2 motherboard
1GB RAM (512 pc 2700, 256 pc 2700, 256 pc 2100 all crucial brand)
Asus Geforce 6600 (300/550) 128MB
120GB Hard drive (80GB and a 40GB)
14 answers Last reply
More about crippling
  1. A133 fsb is not good. If your mobo will allow you to change the fsb, and multiplier, it would help a lot. 11 by 200 would be good.
    Those xp-m chips also overclock very well. I ran an xp-m 2500 @ 12 by 220 for a long time, (then sold it for the same price I paid for it) and the guy who bought it, has run it @ 2.2 ghz ever since.
  2. Well, I can change my fsb in my bios, and I can change multiplier through jumpers, but even when i do that, it changes back to 16 multiplier and I'm already afraid of overheating with my crappy thermal paste and heatsink. But thanks for the quick reply.
  3. Quote:
    Well, I can change my fsb in my bios, and I can change multiplier through jumpers, but even when i do that, it changes back to 16 multiplier and I'm already afraid of overheating with my crappy thermal paste and heatsink. But thanks for the quick reply.


    Don't expect Athlon64 performance from an XP. My P4 530 @ work does 27sec so I guess 1min1sec is OK for it.
  4. Quote:
    All right, I've got an athlon xp-m (socket a) which runs at 2133 Mhz (16 x 133). Now I've run superpi and I get 1 min. and 1 second, which seems kind of slow to me. I have also run Aquamark 3 which gave me about 33500, I don't really know if that's bad or normal though. And my system specs are:

    Athlon xp-m 2800+ (2133Mhz)
    ECS L7S7A2 motherboard
    1GB RAM (512 pc 2700, 256 pc 2700, 256 pc 2100 all crucial brand)
    Asus Geforce 6600 (300/550) 128MB
    120GB Hard drive (80GB and a 40GB)


    wow 1 minute and 1second thats kinda slow i get 1.minute and 10 seconds when i'm on my 1700+ clocked at only 1.7Ghz(142X12) and i get 1.minute and 4 second when i'm clocked at 1.8Ghz(144 X 12.5) so you almost being 300 Mhz seem to only get 3 seconnds faster than me. 8O wow my 1700+ must rock than and you have a geforce 6600 and at 1gig ram i only got a geforce2 mx/mx 400 and a 2X256=512 ram
  5. Quote:
    All right, I've got an athlon xp-m (socket a) which runs at 2133 Mhz (16 x 133). Now I've run superpi and I get 1 min. and 1 second, which seems kind of slow to me. I have also run Aquamark 3 which gave me about 33500, I don't really know if that's bad or normal though. And my system specs are:

    Athlon xp-m 2800+ (2133Mhz)
    ECS L7S7A2 motherboard
    1GB RAM (512 pc 2700, 256 pc 2700, 256 pc 2100 all crucial brand)
    Asus Geforce 6600 (300/550) 128MB
    120GB Hard drive (80GB and a 40GB)


    don't expect great result with this kind of setup.. the 2100 memory kills everything your CPU can give you. removing it, setting the fsb to 166, cranking the multiplier.. should be able to go at at least 2.3ghz with this mobile, if not more with stock cooling and some voltage bump
  6. All right I took out that pc 2100 and bumped the fsb to 145 so now I'm at 2320. Superpi now gets me 57 seconds, and it's nice to finally be below a minute, and aquamark gave me 34700, but I doubt anyone cares about aquamark anymore. Oh, and you're right heating wasn't an issue, when I opened my case I saw my fan and heatsink were pretty dusty, so now it runs cooler. Thanks for the replies, guys.
  7. If you get a program called CrystalCPUID you should be able to change multiplyer from within Windows, so you can set a stable RAM speed and crank the processor without having to restart lots. It's what I use on my 'Athlon XP-M-ISH'
  8. I actually already have crystal cpuid, I just need to find a good fsb that will get me into windows fine, but I'm going to play around with what I've got for a little while, see how well it does in games and such, but thanks I forgot all about crystal cpuid.
    P.S. Does my Super Pi score seem right at 57 seconds?
  9. Quote:
    All right, I've got an athlon xp-m (socket a) which runs at 2133 Mhz (16 x 133). Now I've run superpi and I get 1 min. and 1 second, which seems kind of slow to me. I have also run Aquamark 3 which gave me about 33500, I don't really know if that's bad or normal though. And my system specs are:

    Athlon xp-m 2800+ (2133Mhz)
    ECS L7S7A2 motherboard
    1GB RAM (512 pc 2700, 256 pc 2700, 256 pc 2100 all crucial brand)
    Asus Geforce 6600 (300/550) 128MB
    120GB Hard drive (80GB and a 40GB)


    133MHZ double pumped, that's 266MHZ. You got the same FSB/core as a clovertown (1066/4).
  10. You know, with the shared cache it really isn't accurate to quote FSB numbers per core. A more realistic determination would be a 533MHz FSB per die since you are transfering data to a shared L2 cache for use by both cores.
  11. Quote:
    All right I took out that pc 2100 and bumped the fsb to 145 so now I'm at 2320. Superpi now gets me 57 seconds, and it's nice to finally be below a minute, and aquamark gave me 34700, but I doubt anyone cares about aquamark anymore. Oh, and you're right heating wasn't an issue, when I opened my case I saw my fan and heatsink were pretty dusty, so now it runs cooler. Thanks for the replies, guys.


    you still have room for the full 166 fsb. Lower the multiplier instead of cranking down the fsb.
  12. Quote:
    All right, I've got an athlon xp-m (socket a) which runs at 2133 Mhz (16 x 133). Now I've run superpi and I get 1 min. and 1 second, which seems kind of slow to me. I have also run Aquamark 3 which gave me about 33500, I don't really know if that's bad or normal though. And my system specs are:

    Athlon xp-m 2800+ (2133Mhz)
    ECS L7S7A2 motherboard
    1GB RAM (512 pc 2700, 256 pc 2700, 256 pc 2100 all crucial brand)
    Asus Geforce 6600 (300/550) 128MB
    120GB Hard drive (80GB and a 40GB)


    133MHZ double pumped, that's 266MHZ. You got the same FSB/core as a clovertown (1066/4).

    Shakira What are you doing in here??
  13. I can get up to 150 fsb fine with some over-voltage, but I just can't get further and remain stable. As for the multiplier, I can only change that through software, because my bios won't accept anything lower even when I change my jumpers. But 150 x 16 = 2400, so that's not a bad overclock considering I have a cheap motherboard. Oh, and this dropped my super pi by 1 whole second (sweet!).
  14. Quote:
    I can get up to 150 fsb fine with some over-voltage, but I just can't get further and remain stable. As for the multiplier, I can only change that through software, because my bios won't accept anything lower even when I change my jumpers. But 150 x 16 = 2400, so that's not a bad overclock considering I have a cheap motherboard. Oh, and this dropped my super pi by 1 whole second (sweet!).


    You're right.. I didn't remember about your motherboard... Not the best OCer in town.. but 2.4 Ghz is not too bad with your setup.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows XP