Will this work?

Jukkis

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Hi guyz!

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, my old one is an GeForce 6600 256mb PCI-E. It came with an Fuj.Siem.Comp. (Scaleo T), specs: Intel P4 550 HT (3,4GHz), i915P/ICH6R ATX P4 and 1GB RAM. Can't remember power suply specs (I'll post them when I get home) mabye 340W. I'm a gamer (BF2, F.E.A.R., NHL 2006, ...) and want a card that I can get eye candy with, not all settings on super duper high but as many as possible :) Mostly play FPS and sports games, the card should handle todays and tomorrows games.

Priserange 200$-300$, the GeForce 7900 gt has caught my eye, but will it work with my computer and is there any bottlenecks which you can already see.

Thanks for the help and feel free to also post other cards :p

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
200..300 bucks for a video card should do just fine...look for x1900xt..or 7900

will you keep the rest of your sistem...or are you planning to update that too?

Jukkis

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
will you keep the rest of your sistem...or are you planning to update that too?

Depends on what kind of rebates you can give me :wink: I'm going to keep this system as it is (after GPU change) and when the time is right (maby then when Vista comes out) I'll dump it on my litle brother and build my very first gaming rig :p 8)

BTW how big is the diference betwean 1Gb and 2Gb of ram, lets say in terms of loading times? :?

Thx

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/13/how_much_ram_do_you_really_need/

In short, going from 1 GB of ram to 2 GB of ram does little for performance in the vast majority of games and applications. Even going from 512 MB to 1 GB is questionable.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
for a desktop computer the difference is small.........
for example you can see a big difference between 512 and 1 gig ...but there is a small difference between 1 gig and 2 gigs...

as for the games ..the difference remains.....battlefield 2, blood and money, fear, and many other games like to have at least 1 gig of ram....less is very bad but still...there was a test done same time ago....difference in games between 512, 1gig and 2 gigs......the conclusion was that 512 is not desired 1 gig and 2 gig are close..

and now there is another factor ..it`s preferable to have few memory modules in order to keep the sistem stable at low timings and good command rate...meaning high performance

for example if you have 4 sticks of modules (ex 4x512=2gig)...you`ll have to force a 2T command rate in order to keep them stable......intel is a better choice in here cause the nortbridge controls the memory and is not cpu bounded...therefore it can easily ran at 1T......

for the moment i would choose 1 gig of ram and i`ll keep my money for anything else

good luck