Rejoin a Domain

-
Hello everyone,
I did something stupid today, I wanted to ghost the hard drive in a Windows
2000 pro computer. I do this once a month. I was NOT watching close enough
and ghosted the OLD image on to the production Hard Drive.
So, now the computer account in the domain server is Invalid. (the image was
a 1 month old image)
I need to know the steps needed to correct this.
Before I do anything stupid a second time :)

I would like to know if I am doing the correct steps:
1) On the Win 2k Pro pc I will join a Workgroup
2) Seeing as the computer account on the Domain Server is not valid I will
need to
2a) on the DC go into WINS and Remove all the references to this 2k pro
pc
2b) Remove the computer entry under the Active Directory Users and
Computers on the DC
3) Rejoin the 2k pro pc to the Domain.

I'm hoping this will work and I don't get the duplicate name error.
There are several WINS Servers that replicate, Do I have to do anything on
them?

Thanks in Advance for the help.
Terry

In think that only steps 1) and 3) are enough. That of course if you have
the proper AD rights to rejoin the computer to domain.

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

<NoSpamZtheitman@nospamZolsbuff.com> wrote in message
> -
> Hello everyone,
> I did something stupid today, I wanted to ghost the hard drive in a
> Windows 2000 pro computer. I do this once a month. I was NOT watching
> close enough and ghosted the OLD image on to the production Hard Drive.
> So, now the computer account in the domain server is Invalid. (the image
> was a 1 month old image)
> I need to know the steps needed to correct this.
> Before I do anything stupid a second time :)
>
> I would like to know if I am doing the correct steps:
> 1) On the Win 2k Pro pc I will join a Workgroup
> 2) Seeing as the computer account on the Domain Server is not valid I will
> need to
> 2a) on the DC go into WINS and Remove all the references to this 2k pro
> pc
> 2b) Remove the computer entry under the Active Directory Users and
> Computers on the DC
> 3) Rejoin the 2k pro pc to the Domain.
>
> I'm hoping this will work and I don't get the duplicate name error.
> There are several WINS Servers that replicate, Do I have to do anything on
> them?
>
> Thanks in Advance for the help.
> Terry

-
Thanks for the reply.
Yes those were the only step required.

Thank You,
Terry

"Andrei Ungureanu" <andreix.nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> In think that only steps 1) and 3) are enough. That of course if you have
> the proper AD rights to rejoin the computer to domain.
>

> --
> Andrei Ungureanu
> www.eventid.net
> Free Windows event logs reports
> http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/
>
> <NoSpamZtheitman@nospamZolsbuff.com> wrote in message
>> -
>> Hello everyone,
>> I did something stupid today, I wanted to ghost the hard drive in a
>> Windows 2000 pro computer. I do this once a month. I was NOT watching
>> close enough and ghosted the OLD image on to the production Hard Drive.
>> So, now the computer account in the domain server is Invalid. (the image
>> was a 1 month old image)
>> I need to know the steps needed to correct this.
>> Before I do anything stupid a second time :)
>>
>> I would like to know if I am doing the correct steps:
>> 1) On the Win 2k Pro pc I will join a Workgroup
>> 2) Seeing as the computer account on the Domain Server is not valid I
>> will need to
>> 2a) on the DC go into WINS and Remove all the references to this 2k pro
>> pc
>> 2b) Remove the computer entry under the Active Directory Users and
>> Computers on the DC
>> 3) Rejoin the 2k pro pc to the Domain.
>>
>> I'm hoping this will work and I don't get the duplicate name error.
>> There are several WINS Servers that replicate, Do I have to do anything
>> on them?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance for the help.
>> Terry

Just as an intellectual point.... can't you just SIDWalk the reimaged
computer to the new SID and be in business?

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

<NoSpamZtheitman@nospamZolsbuff.com> wrote in message
> -
> Hello everyone,
> I did something stupid today, I wanted to ghost the hard drive in a
Windows
> 2000 pro computer. I do this once a month. I was NOT watching close enough
> and ghosted the OLD image on to the production Hard Drive.
> So, now the computer account in the domain server is Invalid. (the image
was
> a 1 month old image)
> I need to know the steps needed to correct this.
> Before I do anything stupid a second time :)
>
> I would like to know if I am doing the correct steps:
> 1) On the Win 2k Pro pc I will join a Workgroup
> 2) Seeing as the computer account on the Domain Server is not valid I will
> need to
> 2a) on the DC go into WINS and Remove all the references to this 2k pro
> pc
> 2b) Remove the computer entry under the Active Directory Users and
> Computers on the DC
> 3) Rejoin the 2k pro pc to the Domain.
>
> I'm hoping this will work and I don't get the duplicate name error.
> There are several WINS Servers that replicate, Do I have to do anything on
> them?
>
> Thanks in Advance for the help.
> Terry

TRENDING THREADS