Color laser printer question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 16, 2005 4:06:32 AM

I have a client looking for a reliable good quality color laser
printer for his home/office. Network printing capability is a
requirement. Reliability and cost-per-page are more important than
absolute photo-realistic output quality.

He is looking at the HP LaserJet 3500N and is also interested in the
Lexmark C510 with network option.

I have no hands-on experience with either of these models

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:08:08 AM

Ron Martell wrote:

>I have a client looking for a reliable good quality color laser
>printer for his home/office. Network printing capability is a
>requirement. Reliability and cost-per-page are more important than
>absolute photo-realistic output quality.
>
>He is looking at the HP LaserJet 3500N and is also interested in the
>Lexmark C510 with network option.
>
>I have no hands-on experience with either of these models
>
>Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
>

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

In General, I would not buy anythin from Lexmark. They are not a good
company. I would consider HP, Samsung and Brother to start off with.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:47:39 AM

Hi Ron

> Network printing capability is a
> requirement.

The great solution to network printing these days
is to use a wired or wireless print server. I've
used D-Links and LinkSys models. They work
great, and cost a lot less than the difference between
a networked and non-networked model of a laser
printer.

For a low-cost solution, you might want to
Google up the discussion recently
about the Dell 3100cn color laser printer. One can
get that, plus added memory, plus a print server for
$600-$700 total. That's about what some companies
charge for their networked-version differential.

-- stan
April 16, 2005 5:47:40 AM

Stanley Krute wrote:
> Hi Ron
>
>> Network printing capability is a
>> requirement.
>
> The great solution to network printing these days
> is to use a wired or wireless print server. I've
> used D-Links and LinkSys models. They work
> great, and cost a lot less than the difference between
> a networked and non-networked model of a laser
> printer.
>
> For a low-cost solution, you might want to
> Google up the discussion recently
> about the Dell 3100cn color laser printer. One can
> get that, plus added memory, plus a print server for
> $600-$700 total. That's about what some companies
> charge for their networked-version differential.
>
> -- stan

I recently purchased a Samsung CLP-510 with duplexing that I am quite
pleased with.

--
I am 3 of 10. Prepare to be assimilated.
Anonymous

If I'm not mistaken, the Dell Color Laser Printer is a repackaged
Lexmark. Atleast that was the answer I got when I asked the Dell Rep
that was working at the Mall. You shoud ask that question yourself.

D.

Stanley Krute wrote:

> Hi Ron
>
> > Network printing capability is a
> > requirement.
>
> The great solution to network printing these days
> is to use a wired or wireless print server. I've
> used D-Links and LinkSys models. They work
> great, and cost a lot less than the difference between
> a networked and non-networked model of a laser
> printer.
>
> For a low-cost solution, you might want to
> Google up the discussion recently
> about the Dell 3100cn color laser printer. One can
> get that, plus added memory, plus a print server for
> $600-$700 total. That's about what some companies
> charge for their networked-version differential.
>
> -- stan
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 10:43:29 AM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 01:47:39 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers RE: Re:
Color laser printer question "Stanley Krute" <stan@stankrute.com>
wrote:

>The great solution to network printing these days
>is to use a wired or wireless print server. I've
>used D-Links and LinkSys models. They work
>great, and cost a lot less than the difference between
>a networked and non-networked model of a laser
>printer.

How do you set a print server up in a wired network? Do you connect a
server box to your network and then connect the printer to the server
box? Will a server box work with win98se or is winXP needed?

Thanks.

--
To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.
Anonymous

Vic Dura wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 01:47:39 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers RE: Re:
> Color laser printer question "Stanley Krute" <stan@stankrute.com>
> wrote:
>

>>The great solution to network printing these days
>>is to use a wired or wireless print server. I've
>>used D-Links and LinkSys models. They work
>>great, and cost a lot less than the difference between
>>a networked and non-networked model of a laser
>>printer.
>

> How do you set a print server up in a wired network? Do you connect a
> server box to your network and then connect the printer to the server
> box? Will a server box work with win98se or is winXP needed?
>
> Thanks.

Physically, connect it as you say above.

You need to install the software that comes with the print server as well.

And then set up some printer drivers to locate the printer on the
network and deliver the output to that location. Often one uses TCP/IP
addresses, and the software to help you do this can be very helpful or a
giant PITA.

Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
Builds strong minds 12 ways.
Guaranteed satisfaction
- courteous money back
- keep bonus gifts

http://www.alicebook.com
April 16, 2005 1:03:57 PM

Vic Dura wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 01:47:39 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers RE: Re:
> Color laser printer question "Stanley Krute" <stan@stankrute.com>
> wrote:
>
>>The great solution to network printing these days
>>is to use a wired or wireless print server. I've
>>used D-Links and LinkSys models. They work
>>great, and cost a lot less than the difference between
>>a networked and non-networked model of a laser
>>printer.
>
> How do you set a print server up in a wired network? Do you connect a
> server box to your network and then connect the printer to the server
> box? Will a server box work with win98se or is winXP needed?
>
> Thanks.

I have a D-Link DP-300U wired print server that I use on my TCP/IP network
that includes machines running Linux, Win98se and Win2k. Works great.

Roby
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:24:56 PM

I have a Konica Minolta 2350en. It is superb in every way *except* it
is very noisy - it uses a 4-pass engine which means each of the 4
colors need to ratchet into place and when it does that it makes a
loud clunk. If I were to buy another color laser I would not buy a
4-pass model.
April 17, 2005 6:02:24 AM

Hi Ron
Suggest you look at OKI colour laser printers, their monochrime lasers are not
wonderful but their couour printers are well priced, hace a flat paper path,
user replaceable fusers and drive belt units and seperate toner and drum units
(only trick is to wait to change the drum units until the toner runs out
otherwise you waste unused toner) cost per page is good. Many HP colour lasers
have a carousel design which is a bit messy and the warm up period is
infuriating!
Well worth a look. Networking with a print server is the best solution and
these are very cheap.
Tony

Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have a client looking for a reliable good quality color laser
>printer for his home/office. Network printing capability is a
>requirement. Reliability and cost-per-page are more important than
>absolute photo-realistic output quality.
>
>He is looking at the HP LaserJet 3500N and is also interested in the
>Lexmark C510 with network option.
>
>I have no hands-on experience with either of these models
>
>Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
>

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>--
>Microsoft MVP
>On-Line Help Computer Service
>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
>In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>http://aumha.org/alex.htm
April 18, 2005 10:24:19 PM

Two things you should think about. Can you buy consumables at your
local Office supply store? Can you get service from anyone but the
manufacturer? If you buy anything but HP, then the answer to both of
those is no.
April 19, 2005 5:14:18 AM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:01:19 GMT, Dewaine Chan <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM
PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote:

>If I'm not mistaken, the Dell Color Laser Printer is a repackaged
>Lexmark. Atleast that was the answer I got when I asked the Dell Rep
>that was working at the Mall. You shoud ask that question yourself.

You are COMPLETELY MISTAKEN. The Dell 3100CN is a rebadged
Fuji-Xerox product. It is NOT a Lexmark. Also it is often on Sale with
40% off bringing it's cost to $384 plus tax. An additional 256 Meg of
Ram (it uses PC 133 SO-DIMM) will run you under $50 if you shop
carefully and it comes complete with Parallel, USB 2.0 and Ethernet
ports.

and I'm not surprised the Dell rep had absolutely no idea what he's
talking about...lol
April 21, 2005 10:17:01 PM

Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a client looking for a reliable good quality color laser
> printer for his home/office. Network printing capability is a
> requirement. Reliability and cost-per-page are more important than
> absolute photo-realistic output quality.
>
> He is looking at the HP LaserJet 3500N and is also interested in the
> Lexmark C510 with network option.
>
> I have no hands-on experience with either of these models
>
> Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Me, I like to have a color laser printer myself, and I have looked at some
low cost model at some local store and they are just around $350-400 (and
probably cheaper online) and I would have no problem with that price.

But the color toner cartridges seem pretty spicy for my taste, especially
my kids and grandkids print their homework like business (around 8,000+
sheet a year) and the color cartridge would kill me. I wonder if there is
refill kit for the color laser printer? (I never looked for it to know for
sure).
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:44:39 PM

Thank you very much for the correction. Now that I know it is a repackaged
Fuji-Xerox. The last experience I had with Xerox printer wasn't pretty.
Actually, I have much better experience dealing with Lexmark than Xerox.
Of all, I like HP products because I could get HP OEM parts from resellers
in the US.

Dewaine

!