PSTN gateway service for Asterisk in the US

Hello,
I have an Asterisk server that I would like to connect to the PSTN
through a VOIP service provider (I do not have a PSTN line available to
Asterisk). I need some calls that Asterisk receives through IP to be
routed to US PSTN phones (no international, no incoming calls, and just
a single call at a time). And I would like to use IAX2 as the protocol
between Asterisk and the PSTN provider. Can anybody suggest me good
(and affordable) providers?
Thanks
Cesar
6 answers Last reply
More about pstn gateway service asterisk

    >I need some calls that Asterisk receives through IP to be routed to
    >US PSTN phones (no international, no incoming calls, and just a
    >single call at a time). And I would like to use IAX2 as the protocol
    >between Asterisk and the PSTN provider. Can anybody suggest me good
    >(and affordable) providers?

    Broadvoice has a plan called BYOD that costs $6/mo for 100 outgoing
    minutes to US and Canada, 3.9 cpm beyond that, or $20/mo for unlimited
    outgoing. If you want incoming calls, they're free.

    They specifically support Asterisk and have detailed config
    instructions on their web. I haven't used it, but they certainly look
    like they're serious about supporting Asterisk.

    You might also look at www.iax.cc, a prepaid service specifically for
    IAX users. It sure is cheap.

    R's,
    John

    johnl@iecc.com (John R. Levine) writes:
    > Broadvoice has a plan called BYOD that costs $6/mo for 100 outgoing
    > minutes to US and Canada, 3.9 cpm beyond that, or $20/mo for unlimited
    > outgoing. If you want incoming calls, they're free.

    My experience with broadvoice and asterisk wasn't that good. I signed
    up with them last summer a little after they announced their BYO plan.
    After a week of flawless service they announced that they just
    "tightened the security" on some of their servers. At that point
    asterisk stopped connecting to certain servers entirely. It was
    essentially the luck of the draw as to whether asterisk would connect
    to an old-config or new-config server. I gave them another week to
    straighten things out. When little changed I quit. It took another 6
    months for me to get them to stop billing my credit card though.

    A much better deal in my opinion is to go with Gefachi or Teliax which
    both have 2 cents per minute with no monthlies and no setup. Both
    work with asterisk and can talk either SIP or IAX. I'm not a fan of
    proprietary protocols. I just use SIP with ulaw encoding and get
    phone quality audio, with less noise.

    The one thing I wish I could find is a VOIP service provider that was
    only 20-30 ms away from me. It seems silly to send IP packets all the
    way to the east coast (adding 100ms delay) just to call your neighbor
    in California.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20050515T120102@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> wrote:
    > johnl@iecc.com (John R. Levine) writes:
    >> Broadvoice has a plan called BYOD that costs $6/mo for 100 outgoing
    >> minutes to US and Canada, 3.9 cpm beyond that, or $20/mo for unlimited
    >> outgoing. If you want incoming calls, they're free.
    >
    > My experience with broadvoice and asterisk wasn't that good. I signed
    > up with them last summer a little after they announced their BYO plan.
    > After a week of flawless service they announced that they just
    > "tightened the security" on some of their servers. At that point
    > asterisk stopped connecting to certain servers entirely. It was
    > essentially the luck of the draw as to whether asterisk would connect
    > to an old-config or new-config server. I gave them another week to
    > straighten things out. When little changed I quit. It took another 6
    > months for me to get them to stop billing my credit card though.

    I never did manage to get Broadvoice to work with Asterisk at all. On the
    plus side, I did get my money back and they didn't keep billing my card.

    miguel

    <morphinum@bol.com.br> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I have an Asterisk server that I would like to connect to the PSTN
    > through a VOIP service provider (I do not have a PSTN line available to
    > Asterisk). I need some calls that Asterisk receives through IP to be
    > routed to US PSTN phones (no international, no incoming calls, and just
    > a single call at a time). And I would like to use IAX2 as the protocol
    > between Asterisk and the PSTN provider. Can anybody suggest me good
    > (and affordable) providers?
    > Thanks
    > Cesar

    http://www.voipjet.com/
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:07:08 -0700, morphinum wrote:

    > single call at a time). And I would like to use IAX2 as the protocol
    > between Asterisk and the PSTN provider. Can anybody suggest me good (and
    > affordable) providers?

    Voicepulse Connect, NuFone, voipjet, teliax
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    use a clt

    Marco

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5786887222&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
    <morphinum@bol.com.br> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I have an Asterisk server that I would like to connect to the PSTN
    > through a VOIP service provider (I do not have a PSTN line available to
    > Asterisk). I need some calls that Asterisk receives through IP to be
    > routed to US PSTN phones (no international, no incoming calls, and just
    > a single call at a time). And I would like to use IAX2 as the protocol
    > between Asterisk and the PSTN provider. Can anybody suggest me good
    > (and affordable) providers?
    > Thanks
    > Cesar

vpn IP Gateway Networking