Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need a new power suply

Last response: in Components
Share
June 29, 2006 10:25:30 AM

Need a new power suply, but I have no idea of which manufacturer to buy from because there are milions of them. The differences in manufacturers prices are so heuge, in a store I found 500w power suplies where the cheapest 50$ and the most expencive 170$ 8O What to chose?

Something like 500w would be nice, price not ower 100$. Any ideas?

Thx

More about : power suply

June 29, 2006 3:17:51 PM

why not list your system sepcs, most ppl over think on power, and buy massive overkill PSU's and waste money
June 29, 2006 4:01:08 PM

I like this one http://www.frozencpu.com/psu-181.html . It has good reviews and more power than you are looking for, is modular , has two pcie connectors for sli and fits your budget and comes in several colors.
Related resources
June 29, 2006 11:23:41 PM

hm....well seeing You are linking to a company named PC giant, and you name is PC_Giant, im sure u work for them. Anyways it doesnt seem as if this person is from Europe.
June 29, 2006 11:34:29 PM

I dont work for PC Giant but got my nickname idea from them also am a great fan of PC Giant Well of there prices anyway speed of there site is a little slow but this is I am told being updated and redesigned.

Hope this helps
June 29, 2006 11:46:32 PM

Quote:
Something like 500w would be nice, price not ower 100$.


Newegg is still down, so I can't link it, but check out the OCZ power supplies. They have a couple of excellent units under $100, assuming the rebates are still on.
June 30, 2006 5:59:53 AM

It's an Fuj.Siem.Comp. (Scaleo T), specs: Intel P4 550 HT (3,4GHz), i915P/ICH6R ATX P4, 1GB RAM, GeForce 6600 256mb, 2*250gb SATA 7200/min hard drives + a dvd-burner and a read only dvd station . The current power suply is 300w, enough for this system, but I'm going to upgrade the GPU to an GeForce 7900 Gt. So to be on the safe side I tought that an upgrade to the PSU would also be in place.

Quote:
Anyways it doesnt seem as if this person is from Europe.


I'm from Finland :p  so no Newegg for me :( 
June 30, 2006 3:30:26 PM

(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!)

Based on the specs listed, and future upgrades planned something in the 450W range from a respectable manufacturer should cover your needs. I say repectable mfc since there are 600W power supplies out there that I wouldn't trust to power what my Antec 480 does. I personally like Antec the most but some people have commented on their equipment being somewhat overpriced. The most important thing is that the PSU can supply enough amperage to cover what you need, a good PSU (I think) pushes out around 40 amps or ~20*2 12V rails.
June 30, 2006 5:01:38 PM

Quote:
It's an Fuj.Siem.Comp. (Scaleo T), specs: Intel P4 550 HT (3,4GHz), i915P/ICH6R ATX P4, 1GB RAM, GeForce 6600 256mb, 2*250gb SATA 7200/min hard drives + a dvd-burner and a read only dvd station . The current power suply is 300w, enough for this system, but I'm going to upgrade the GPU to an GeForce 7900 Gt. So to be on the safe side I tought that an upgrade to the PSU would also be in place.

Anyways it doesnt seem as if this person is from Europe.


I'm from Finland :p  so no Newegg for me :( 


7900GT is very power conservative card. I even think the 300w would handle it. But to be safe, see if u can find an Antec Smart Power 500w. or similar Fortron
June 30, 2006 5:09:17 PM

Quote:
I personally like Antec the most but some people have commented on their equipment being somewhat overpriced.


I've been critical of Antec here and on other forums, but not for pricing or value. I think the Antec power supplies are very competitively priced and that they have good features at a variety of price points. A few years ago, I would have recommended them to anyone for any application. Even after my Antec went up in smoke, taking out my mobo, CPU and GPU with it, I still believed that they were the best value in the market.

It wasn't until I started talking to tech service people at numerous shops that I found out that my experience is far from an isolated incident - those conversations changed my opinion. One tech serivce manager summed it up by saying that not many Antec PS's have an early death, but when they do die young, they have a rep for taking numerous components out with them. I have not tried to do any analysis of the Antec circuit but I do know that some designs limit maximum current better than others.

Quote:
The most important thing is that the PSU can supply enough amperage to cover what you need, a good PSU (I think) pushes out around 40 amps or ~20*2 12V rails.


A typical high performance PS with two rails rated 20A each would probably deliver a total of 34 to 36A. I do agree that the 12V current spec is key and should be looked at before any purchase in the context of the projected system needs. It's possible to need more than 40A of +12V in a modern home PC, for example with dual high current GPUs, especially when the CPU and GPUs are overclocked.
June 30, 2006 6:36:41 PM

Quote:
Even after my Antec went up in smoke, taking out my mobo, CPU and GPU with it, I still believed that they were the best value in the market.

It wasn't until I started talking to tech service people at numerous shops that I found out that my experience is far from an isolated incident - those conversations changed my opinion. One tech serivce manager summed it up by saying that not many Antec PS's have an early death, but when they do die young, they have a rep for taking numerous components out with them. I have not tried to do any analysis of the Antec circuit but I do know that some designs limit maximum current better than others.


Sorry to hear that about the entire system going down, that is a problem I'm not aware of. I find it especially interesting since my 480 actually went out within the first six months of owning it. In my case however it went quiet, I walked in one day, hit the switch and.... nothing. Either I'm lucky or maybe they've fixed some of their problems.

Quote:
A typical high performance PS with two rails rated 20A each would probably deliver a total of 34 to 36A.


I'm curious as to why the difference in amps, 20 on both rails but 34-36 total, is there some loss due to efficiency not being 100%? Elaborate if you can/don't mind.
June 30, 2006 8:20:49 PM

Quote:
I'm curious as to why the difference in amps, 20 on both rails but 34-36 total, is there some loss due to efficiency not being 100%? Elaborate if you can/don't mind.


"Elaborate" Thats one fine word you got there Bob :p  (had to look it up :oops:  )

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_1.html

Found this site after a bit of googling. Maby a bit noobish guide for one who knows this stuff, but it enlightend my quest on finding the right PSU for me :p 

Quote:
7900GT is very power conservative card. I even think the 300w would handle it. But to be safe, see if u can find an Antec Smart Power 500w. or similar Fortron


Ya mean this one http://www.digicomp.fi/product_info.php?cat_id=1374&pro... , I know a dude who works at this store, so I should get it a bit cheaper than for 82 € :wink:

BTW when you quote someone I get quote and blablabla, but you get Jukkis wrote: blablabla or Clue69Less wrote: blablabla. How is it done? :?

Thx guyz for the advise and suggestions :p 
June 30, 2006 8:36:10 PM

that PSU will be fine.
June 30, 2006 8:54:08 PM

Quote:
BTW when you quote someone I get quote and blablabla, but you get Jukkis wrote: blablabla or Clue69Less wrote: blablabla. How is it done? :?


It's done by adding an ="username" to the quote command. So
Quote:
would give this:

Quote:
Damn I'm good! =P


PS thanks for the link to the guide, I'll take a look at that when I have time. I would say I'm pretty knowledgable but I'm always looking to learn more, so hopefully there will be some things contained there that I didn't know before.

And don't worry about having to look up elaborate, I called a guy I work with a hypocrit one day and then later got some great laughs when I saw him trying to look it up (and somehow failing miserably, I don't think he knows google too well... :twisted: ).
!