AddPrinterDriver error while installing Canon ip4000

Not sure I have a problem, so I thought I'd run this by the ng. I load
the cd and follow the installation instructions for my new ip4000. I
see normal-looking progress windows pass by my screen: "Copying
files...", "Registering printer...", "Creating folder..." BUT, at 60%
progress during creating folder, everything stops and this window pops
up: "AddPrinterDriver Error" "The specified module could not be
found". I've re-tried 10 times, even uninstalling my AV software and
not loading my DSL connection software. I have already exited all
other running programs. No matter what, I can't get past that message.

Then I tried doing a Custom install, picking everything on the custom
selection list EXCEPT the driver install option. All components
installed without a problem. Finally, just for the heck of it, I went
back to Custom install again, and tried the driver install ONLY. No
go, same message all over again.

The good news is that the printer appears to work in spite of this
message. I printed Canon's test page and the color pattern printed and
a bunch of drivers listed on the page said they were installed. I've
printed several documents and photos. They all look good.

It just bothers me that the installation SAID that the process
terminated prematurely with what APPEARS to be a serious error.

So should I just ignore that message and go on fat, dumb, and happy, or
do you think something might come up and bite me down the road?

I've also tried downloading the drivers from the Canon website, and I
get the same error.

Per the instructions, I am signed on as Administrator. The printer
power switch is off. (I've tried with power switch on, too.) My XP
system is stable. My path is
c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\windows\system32\Wbem

And I have communicated all this to Canon Support; they say since I got
a good test page, I have a successful installation. So is this just an
example of poor Canon quality control, or could there be something else
going on? Any thoughts? Thanks for listening to this long-winded
dissertation.

Ed
4 answers Last reply
More about addprinterdriver error installing canon ip4000

    "Ed" <ed0109@volcanomail.com> wrote in message
    > Not sure I have a problem, so I thought I'd run this by the ng. I load
    > the cd and follow the installation instructions for my new ip4000. I
    > see normal-looking progress windows pass by my screen: "Copying
    > files...", "Registering printer...", "Creating folder..." BUT, at 60%
    > progress during creating folder, everything stops and this window pops
    > up: "AddPrinterDriver Error" "The specified module could not be
    > found". I've re-tried 10 times, even uninstalling my AV software and
    > not loading my DSL connection software. I have already exited all
    > other running programs. No matter what, I can't get past that message.
    >
    > Then I tried doing a Custom install, picking everything on the custom
    > selection list EXCEPT the driver install option. All components
    > installed without a problem. Finally, just for the heck of it, I went
    > back to Custom install again, and tried the driver install ONLY. No
    > go, same message all over again.
    >
    > The good news is that the printer appears to work in spite of this
    > message. I printed Canon's test page and the color pattern printed and
    > a bunch of drivers listed on the page said they were installed. I've
    > printed several documents and photos. They all look good.
    >
    > It just bothers me that the installation SAID that the process
    > terminated prematurely with what APPEARS to be a serious error.
    >
    > So should I just ignore that message and go on fat, dumb, and happy, or
    > do you think something might come up and bite me down the road?
    >
    > I've also tried downloading the drivers from the Canon website, and I
    > get the same error.
    >
    > Per the instructions, I am signed on as Administrator. The printer
    > power switch is off. (I've tried with power switch on, too.) My XP
    > system is stable. My path is
    > c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\windows\system32\Wbem
    >
    > And I have communicated all this to Canon Support; they say since I got
    > a good test page, I have a successful installation. So is this just an
    > example of poor Canon quality control, or could there be something else
    > going on? Any thoughts? Thanks for listening to this long-winded
    > dissertation.
    >
    > Ed

    I had problems installing with the Canon utility when trying to upgrade
    drivers. I ended up using add new hardware from control panel instead, and
    pointed it to the downloaded driver. Worked fine.

    Ed
    I have this model and it installed perfectly, I have also installed several
    different models from the PIXMA range with no difficulty.
    Suggest you try installing with the data cable disconnected because the power
    switch does not actually power down the printer, it just puts into a sleep,mode.
    Failing that use the "add new printer" function and point to the drivers ("have
    disc").
    Tony

    "Ed" <ed0109@volcanomail.com> wrote:
    >Not sure I have a problem, so I thought I'd run this by the ng. I load
    >the cd and follow the installation instructions for my new ip4000. I
    >see normal-looking progress windows pass by my screen: "Copying
    >files...", "Registering printer...", "Creating folder..." BUT, at 60%
    >progress during creating folder, everything stops and this window pops
    >up: "AddPrinterDriver Error" "The specified module could not be
    >found". I've re-tried 10 times, even uninstalling my AV software and
    >not loading my DSL connection software. I have already exited all
    >other running programs. No matter what, I can't get past that message.
    >
    >Then I tried doing a Custom install, picking everything on the custom
    >selection list EXCEPT the driver install option. All components
    >installed without a problem. Finally, just for the heck of it, I went
    >back to Custom install again, and tried the driver install ONLY. No
    >go, same message all over again.
    >
    >The good news is that the printer appears to work in spite of this
    >message. I printed Canon's test page and the color pattern printed and
    >a bunch of drivers listed on the page said they were installed. I've
    >printed several documents and photos. They all look good.
    >
    >It just bothers me that the installation SAID that the process
    >terminated prematurely with what APPEARS to be a serious error.
    >
    >So should I just ignore that message and go on fat, dumb, and happy, or
    >do you think something might come up and bite me down the road?
    >
    >I've also tried downloading the drivers from the Canon website, and I
    >get the same error.
    >
    >Per the instructions, I am signed on as Administrator. The printer
    >power switch is off. (I've tried with power switch on, too.) My XP
    >system is stable. My path is
    >c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\windows\system32\Wbem
    >
    >And I have communicated all this to Canon Support; they say since I got
    >a good test page, I have a successful installation. So is this just an
    >example of poor Canon quality control, or could there be something else
    >going on? Any thoughts? Thanks for listening to this long-winded
    >dissertation.
    >
    >Ed

    That's good to know. So you just attached your printer, and let
    Windows find the driver, without using the Canon cd? After the
    aforementioned message showed up in my installation with the cd, I
    rebooted and Windows did not ask for any more driver info. So, I
    suspect all is ok. From a technical standpoint, however, I would be
    interested in knowing just what in my operating system (xp, whatever)
    triggers this message. I did a global search on google groups and
    couldn't find anyone who had the same problem while installing this
    printer, which has become popular in the Canon line.

    "Caitlin" wrote:
    > I had problems installing with the Canon utility when trying to
    upgrade
    > drivers. I ended up using add new hardware from control panel
    instead, and
    > pointed it to the downloaded driver. Worked fine.

    > "Ed" <ed0109@volcanomail.com> wrote in message
    >> Not sure I have a problem, so I thought I'd run this by the ng. I
    load
    >> the cd and follow the installation instructions for my new ip4000.
    >> see normal-looking progress windows pass by my screen: "Copying
    >> files...", "Registering printer...", "Creating folder..." BUT, at
    60%
    >> progress during creating folder, everything stops and this window
    pops
    >> up: "AddPrinterDriver Error" "The specified module could not be
    >> found". I've re-tried 10 times, even uninstalling my AV software
    and
    >> not loading my DSL connection software. I have already exited all
    >> other running programs. No matter what, I can't get past that
    message.

    >> Then I tried doing a Custom install, picking everything on the
    custom
    >> selection list EXCEPT the driver install option. All components
    >> installed without a problem. Finally, just for the heck of it, I
    went
    >> back to Custom install again, and tried the driver install ONLY. No
    >> go, same message all over again.
    >>
    >> The good news is that the printer appears to work in spite of this
    >> message. I printed Canon's test page and the color pattern printed
    and
    >> a bunch of drivers listed on the page said they were installed.
    I've
    >> printed several documents and photos. They all look good.
    >>
    >> It just bothers me that the installation SAID that the process
    >> terminated prematurely with what APPEARS to be a serious error.
    >>
    >> So should I just ignore that message and go on fat, dumb, and happy,
    or
    >> do you think something might come up and bite me down the road?
    >>
    >> I've also tried downloading the drivers from the Canon website, and
    >> get the same error.
    >>
    >> Per the instructions, I am signed on as Administrator. The printer
    >> power switch is off. (I've tried with power switch on, too.) My XP
    >> system is stable. My path is
    >> c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\windows\system32\Wbem
    >>
    >> And I have communicated all this to Canon Support; they say since I
    got
    >> a good test page, I have a successful installation. So is this just
    an
    >> example of poor Canon quality control, or could there be something
    else
    >> going on? Any thoughts? Thanks for listening to this long-winded
    >> dissertation.
    >>
    >> Ed

Printers Peripherals