Mapping Lpt1 to an active directory printer object

Hi

may I firstly apologise for having Dos applications still.

My problem is I have an old Dos application that will only send printed
output to the printer port LPT1.

We set up a departmental printer in Active Dir and gave it a share name, we
assigned full permission to the Departmental printer . We setup a printer
locally on the users machine and left it using port LPT1 .We then port mapped
at login lpt1 to the printer using
Net Use Lpt1: \\Servername\Objectname this was successful.

Our problem arose when the Domain Controller's hard drive failed and we lost
all printers & queue's set up on there. We recreated the printer on the DC
and the DC is able to print to it fine.

The problem now is though LPT1 will not port Map to this new queue, it asks
for a logon to authenticate after the Net Use command, even if we use an
Admin logon in mid script it will not complete the assignment it says "Access
denied". However using the same logon if we use the previously unused LPT2 to
map it works fine. So the permission error is somehow based on LPT1 as LPT2
is no problem , meaning the user has sufficient rights to complete the
connection.

If I logon as domain admin and run the Net Use command on LPT1 it works but
will not work for the user on LPT1.

Has anyone any ideas, it seems as though some LPT1 setting is stored
somewhere and needs clearing out before the next mapping. Just out of
interest I made the user a member of the Domain Admins group and it worked
fine, we have however tried giving him every print permission available and
this makes no difference.

Any help / ideas will be appreciated

Many Thanks in Advance

Paul

--
Paul C
1 answer Last reply

    Paul,

    There is a utility called sanur that will let you script the RUNAS utility
    so it no longer prompts you for a password. Drop this into the script and
    it will map that printer as the Administrator. That should take care of
    your problem -- though there is probably a more "official windows" way of
    solving the problem.

    Sanur can be gotten from: http://www.commandline.co.uk/sanur/

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Paul C" <PaulC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > may I firstly apologise for having Dos applications still.
    >
    > My problem is I have an old Dos application that will only send printed
    > output to the printer port LPT1.
    >
    > We set up a departmental printer in Active Dir and gave it a share name,
    we
    > assigned full permission to the Departmental printer . We setup a printer
    > locally on the users machine and left it using port LPT1 .We then port
    mapped
    > at login lpt1 to the printer using
    > Net Use Lpt1: \\Servername\Objectname this was successful.
    >
    > Our problem arose when the Domain Controller's hard drive failed and we
    lost
    > all printers & queue's set up on there. We recreated the printer on the DC
    > and the DC is able to print to it fine.
    >
    > The problem now is though LPT1 will not port Map to this new queue, it
    asks
    > for a logon to authenticate after the Net Use command, even if we use an
    > Admin logon in mid script it will not complete the assignment it says
    "Access
    > denied". However using the same logon if we use the previously unused LPT2
    > map it works fine. So the permission error is somehow based on LPT1 as
    LPT2
    > is no problem , meaning the user has sufficient rights to complete the
    > connection.
    >
    > If I logon as domain admin and run the Net Use command on LPT1 it works
    but
    > will not work for the user on LPT1.
    >
    > Has anyone any ideas, it seems as though some LPT1 setting is stored
    > somewhere and needs clearing out before the next mapping. Just out of
    > interest I made the user a member of the Domain Admins group and it worked
    > fine, we have however tried giving him every print permission available
    and
    > this makes no difference.
    >
    > Any help / ideas will be appreciated
    >
    > Many Thanks in Advance