Best Motherboard + Memory for Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition

joeaston

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
The Justification:

I've been looking around Tom's Hardware for a good few weeks, trying to see what the best deal I can afford is.

According to this review: http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/01/07/the_65_nm_pentium_d_900s_coming_out_party/page7.html

...the Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition outperforms many of the 900 series in quite a few applications, specifically in the software that I use most (Adobe software, avg antivirus, winrar etc).

So I'm fixed on getting Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition since I can get it for about £350 (~ US$635) - a good price for the performance it offers.

My computer is completely out of order, and I simply can't afford to wait until July 23rd because I've got loads of freelance work on the go that needed to be finished weeks ago!

The Question:

* What's the fastest DDR2 RAM compatible with the Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition?

* What motherboard would you recommend for the Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition

Thanks very much!

Please feel free to point me in the direction of stickies - I've searched but I couldn't find anything! :?

Joe

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
useless.

Dont buy Pentium Extreme processors if u dont plan to over clock past 5 Ghz.

Wait 1 months for conroe to come out. It will out preform any Pentium 4/D at a fraction of the cost.

joeaston

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
useless.

Dont buy Pentium Extreme processors if u dont plan to over clock past 5 Ghz.

Wait 1 months for conroe to come out. It will out preform any Pentium 4/D at a fraction of the cost.

I know! I've been waiting for months anyway, but now my computer is broken I can't afford to wait any longer. I need a computer NOW - I have work to finish off for clients that just can't be "put off for a month". It's absolutely gutting, but I'll always be able to re-earn the money, but I can't always count on finding the clients!

Are you saying that Extreme Edition processors can't be overclocked as much as the regular Pentium D equivalents?

I've just found I can get the Pentium D 955 Extreme Edition (2x2MB L2, 3.46 GHz, 1066 MHz bus, Virtualization and Hyperthreading) for about £430 (US$800)! (that seems a pretty good deal to me)[/size]

Thanks once again,

Joe