add shortcut to desktop?

I'd like to add an item to users desktops- a shortcut to an important
spreadsheet. I know how to redirect entire desktops, but that's not what I
want to do. I also know I can do a group policy under Active Desktop to add
a URL-based item to a desktop, but this is just a plain-vanilla shortcut.
Does anyone know a way to do this?
1 answer Last reply
More about shortcut desktop

    Or create a script and put it into your logon script in GPO

    Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    strDesktopFolder = objShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
    Set objShortCut = objShell.CreateShortcut(strDesktopFolder &
    "\YourExcelLink.lnk")
    objShortCut.TargetPath = pathtoyourfile"
    objShortCut.Description = "Description."
    objShortCut.Save

    --
    Regards

    Matjaz Ladava
    MVP Windows Server - Directory Services
    matjaz@ladava.com, matjazl@mvps.org

    "BFH" <BFH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to add an item to users desktops- a shortcut to an important
    > spreadsheet. I know how to redirect entire desktops, but that's not what
    > want to do. I also know I can do a group policy under Active Desktop to
    > add
    > a URL-based item to a desktop, but this is just a plain-vanilla shortcut.
    > Does anyone know a way to do this?

Desktops Microsoft Active Directory Windows