Sign in with
Your question

Rahul sood talks up Intel and AMD

Last response: in CPUs
June 29, 2006 3:21:26 PM

VoodooPC

Mr Sood is back with a new analysis of AMD Intel and how they are doing in his mind.

He made the funniest quote,

Quote:
From where I am sitting I see Intel making some positive moves. They should thank AMD for poking them in the eye and beating them with a stick – it was a humbling experience.

Priceless!
June 29, 2006 3:48:30 PM

Quote:
VoodooPC

Mr Sood is back with a new analysis of AMD Intel and how they are doing in his mind.

From where I am sitting I see Intel making some positive moves. They should thank AMD for poking them in the eye and beating them with a stick – it was a humbling experience.

Priceless!

haha so true
June 29, 2006 4:32:49 PM

I wonder what he mean by 'huge implications on ATI'. Exciting.
And while he was talking about Intel's excellent progress that quote is a classic :lol: 
Related resources
June 29, 2006 4:57:47 PM

Quote:
VoodooPC

Priceless!

Finally, something we agree on. Now, if AMD recovers from the inevitible stick beating by Core2 and it's follow-up, they'll have Intel to thank, right? Or will that just be a natural progression of AMD engineering?
June 29, 2006 5:38:23 PM

Quote:
VoodooPC

Priceless!

Finally, something we agree on. Now, if AMD recovers from the inevitible stick beating by Core2 and it's follow-up, they'll have Intel to thank, right? Or will that just be a natural progression of AMD engineering?

Right now it's not over since Core 2 is not out yet in any numbers. AMD is supposedly releasing a new rev with a 1T command rate on the IMC and more sources are reporting on Dynamic Multithreading.

I think they can handle Core 2 by the end of the year. Maybe sooner. The latest benches show a finite limit to what OC does for Core 2.

Again I'm not downing Inel or doubting benches but K8 has A LOT of fight left.
June 29, 2006 5:48:00 PM

Quote:
I wonder what he mean by 'huge implications on ATI'.

Crossfire but no SLI support in Intel motherboards?
June 29, 2006 7:13:58 PM

Quote:

I think they can handle Core 2 by the end of the year. Maybe sooner. The latest benches show a finite limit to what OC does for Core 2.

Huh?
June 29, 2006 7:39:56 PM

Yes, I pointed Mr. Sood's blog out to Sharikou his thread yesterday to ask for his opinion. I guess I should feel a bit guilty for having sicced Sharikuo on Sood.

In any case, I found it interesting that someone with first hand experience in dealing with Intel has found that their culture has improved drastically. (Although Sharikou interprets it as him being bribed and tricked by Intel). Sood also feels that Intel has a "killer platform" regardless of whether AMD implements Reverse HT or a 4x4 platform. He also correctly identifies the 4x4 platform as being extremely power inefficient and having minimal impact on the industry. (I'm not sure how people could feel otherwise when the platform is limited to FXs especially with the cancellation of the 1MB X2s and the 512k ones appearing to only physically have 1 HT link meaning that dreams of 2 35W 3800+ being used are unrealistic).

Of course, he is right that Conroe's impact depends on it's availability (which should be pretty good, Merom is the primary concern anyways), and that AMD is here to stay.
June 29, 2006 7:44:01 PM

Quote:
but K8 has A LOT of fight left.

Especially when you put so much spin on the whole situation.
June 29, 2006 8:47:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, I pointed Mr. Sood's blog out to Sharikou his thread yesterday to ask for his opinion. I guess I should feel a bit guilty for having sicced Sharikuo on Sood.

In any case, I found it interesting that someone with first hand experience in dealing with Intel has found that their culture has improved drastically. (Although Sharikou interprets it as him being bribed and tricked by Intel). Sood also feels that Intel has a "killer platform" regardless of whether AMD implements Reverse HT or a 4x4 platform. He also correctly identifies the 4x4 platform as being extremely power inefficient and having minimal impact on the industry. (I'm not sure how people could feel otherwise when the platform is limited to FXs especially with the cancellation of the 1MB X2s and the 512k ones appearing to only physically have 1 HT link meaning that dreams of 2 35W 3800+ being used are unrealistic).

Of course, he is right that Conroe's impact depends on it's availability (which should be pretty good, Merom is the primary concern anyways), and that AMD is here to stay.

As for "killer platform", what is new besides a faster FSB? Conroe is all the same old shared FSB architecture that can't be scaled to beyond 4 cores.

The whole Conroe/Woodcrest thing is pre-announcing and paper launch. Servers have very low volume, yet intel couldn't provide any meaningful quantities of chips on the launch day. AMD has K8L working on 65nm too. It's just not ready for mass production at mature yield. AMD is not releasing them because it doesn't want to kill the sales of its current CPUs, and wants to provide a stable and proven product.
June 29, 2006 9:07:19 PM

Quote:

he had very good thigns to say about 4X4. it is not very cost prohibitive to add an HT port. also remember that AMD has 65W chips at REV F2. Imagine what F4 will look like. if CTI earns it's stripes i can see Am2 OC 50%.

Maybe you shoudl read some of his comments. This is a very ProAMD guy.
June 29, 2006 9:11:59 PM

Quote:

But even moreso that it went from 1.4 single to 2.8 dual without mising a beat and using less relative power. Also Henri Richard quoted me in the Part 4 of his interview.

paraphrase
"This is a two horse race. intel needs to get used to it."
June 29, 2006 9:16:23 PM

Quote:

As for "killer platform", what is new besides a faster FSB? Conroe is all the same old shared FSB architecture that can't be scaled to beyond 4 cores.

The whole Conroe/Woodcrest thing is pre-announcing and paper launch. Servers have very low volume, yet intel couldn't provide any meaningful quantities of chips on the launch day. AMD has K8L working on 65nm too. It's just not ready for mass production at mature yield. AMD is not releasing them because it doesn't want to kill the sales of its current CPUs, and wants to provide a stable and proven product.

That seems to be something Intel doesn't understand. they had enough share that they could have just brought Core to the desktop to get rid of NetBust instead of this leap ahead that will DESTROY their profit margins. even if they do price them up they will still be dragged down by $50 P4s.

This will be a painful time for Intel, financially. And now they're talking about releasing more NetBust chips? What is Otellini smoking over there?
June 29, 2006 10:23:44 PM

I am just curious how many Conroes they are making each month... are we talking about 200K Processors? or 50K ?
June 29, 2006 10:26:11 PM

Quote:

Right now it's not over since Core 2 is not out yet in any numbers. AMD is supposedly releasing a new rev with a 1T command rate on the IMC and more sources are reporting on Dynamic Multithreading.

Everything has a finite limit at any given point in time. However, you are assuming that Intel will stand still from here on. Additionaly, the Core 2 OC limit that has been published is going to be a tough hurdle to surmount. I not saying it's impossible, but it will be very difficult...I'll go so far as to say unlikely, especially in 2006.
June 29, 2006 10:41:29 PM

Quote:
And while he was talking about Intel's excellent progress that quote is a classic :lol: 

ATi + Conroe Board Bribe.

Intel/ASUS i975 based board + X1900 XFire card = $80 rebate.

IE crashed three f0cking times when I tried to post this. Firefox, here I come!
June 29, 2006 11:06:09 PM

Quote:

ATi + Conroe Board Bribe.
Firefox, here I come!

You should have switched a long time ago :) 
I've switched and never looked back at IE again.
The only thing i hate with Firefox is when i start a download it waits there spinning its turbines before it initiates the download... and it eats memory like a hog. V1.5.0.2
June 29, 2006 11:17:40 PM

God you're an idiot.
June 30, 2006 12:18:21 AM

Quote:

But even moreso that it went from 1.4 single to 2.8 dual without mising a beat and using less relative power. Also Henri Richard quoted me in the Part 4 of his interview.

paraphrase
"This is a two horse race. intel needs to get used to it."

It took them 3 years to get to 2.8 WTH are you smokeing?
June 30, 2006 12:31:34 AM

Quote:
I am just curious how many Conroes they are making each month... are we talking about 200K Processors? or 50K ?

They are tating no more than 40% - or least that was the last word - in Q107, which means that in 5 months there will be at least 3 P4s for every 10 machines. That too depends on how much Core Solo and Duo they made for Apple. Basically there will be maarket undervaluing until the next Intel core.

Unless they or AMD can "Leap Ahead" again and cycle the prices back up slowly. I honestly WANT to pay at least $400 for a processor. VAue is value. And that in a $1000-$4000 system is worth it. Especially if you use it for work.

I actually used to use ONLY INTEL for my studio PC until AMD chipsets matured around K8.
June 30, 2006 12:33:16 AM

Quote:
I actually used to use ONLY INTEL for my studio PC until AMD chipsets matured around K8.

Nforce 2 anyone?
June 30, 2006 12:36:25 AM

Quote:
It took them 3 years to get to 2.8 WTH are you smokeing?

Well, while Intel was causing Dell to put refrigerators int the P4 :lol:  -of course not until PressHott - AMD was enjoying a stable platform that needed little aggressive tuning for perf and enhancement. Why change horses in midstream?
The Opteron arch may have been luck but it put Intel into the basement in every market.

Or as Rahul says....
June 30, 2006 12:59:58 AM

Quote:

They are tating no more than 40% - or least that was the last word - in Q107, which means that in 5 months there will be at least 3 P4s for every 10 machines. That too depends on how much Core Solo and Duo they made for Apple. Basically there will be maarket undervaluing until the next Intel core.

Arghhh i forgot about Apple, they will use Woodcrest and Conroe too, damn !
Dell, HP, Apple, IBM, will there be anything left for the joe-shome home PC builder ? lol
June 30, 2006 1:14:00 AM

Quote:

Nforce 2 anyone?

I'm talking industry buzz not availability.
June 30, 2006 1:15:34 AM

Quote:
I'm talking industry buzz not availability.

WTF?
June 30, 2006 1:17:22 AM

Quote:

Arghhh i forgot about Apple, they will use Woodcrest and Conroe too, damn !
Dell, HP, Apple, IBM, will there be anything left for the joe-shome home PC builder ? lol

That is the real question especially considering that the subject of this post has questions about yield as to availability. I think even 12 fabs won't erase NetBust quickly but he's more in the know than I am.
June 30, 2006 3:02:21 AM

I thought I might point out that Sood has replied to the slew of comments on his blog. Here's some of the highlights: (Sood is in italics and separate paragrahs are separate responses to different comments.)

Quote:
Sharikou, Ph. D said...

Mr. Sood, did you feel flattered by the royal treatment from Intel? Think again.

Sir, I appreciate that you have an opinion - although I believe it's flawed.

For someone who signs off as PH.D I am shocked by this comment. You really believe that Intel is going under? That's insane man, with all due respect.

You seem to ignore the fact that Conroe and Woodcrest are killer platforms. You ignoring of these facts puts to question your intentions... I recall a time when you openly emailed all the CEO's of every major company and cc'd me without warning - you wrote a message without doing the research or asking questions. Granted I believe you recognized your mistake after the fact, but It seems that you are doing the same now, and I suggest that you take a long good look at what you are writing ... Sir, please don't take this the wrong way but if you want to maintain a shred of credibility you should try to look at the actual technology.

Yeah, there is no question that AMD is in a strong growth position -- but there's no arguing the platform performance of Conroe and Woodcrest. It's real, it works.

And it kind of goes on like that. I know you've mentioned Sood is pro-AMD which may be true, but he's certainly nobody's fool. I think the last statement was most telling in that he feels that Core 2's performance is real with no tricks. Now the pressure is to launch with sufficient quantities.

Quote:
And now they're talking about releasing more NetBust chips?

In regards to this, it's not like Intel is spending time designing new Netburst chips. The ones to be released are parts with no VT support to differentiate them from the flashy "mainstream" Conroes, and to be offered at low price points. I know you point out that Intel won't be making much money on this, but it's doubtful they would lose much money if any at all, with their price cuts. That fact is that Preslers are cheap to make, because of their dual die approach maximizing yields, especially now that both the Netburst design and the 65nm process is matured. It's not like Intel could just stop Netburst production completely anyways since they are going to continue to be in demand in SIPP systems for years to come. Similarly, while consumers can switch to Core 2 immediately, many professionals would be reluctant to move over right away since all their software is optimized for Netburst. This all means that Intel must continue to offer Netburst processors. In such a circumstance, continued refinement of Netburst is definitely appreciated, which is where the D0 stepping comes in. However, the D0 stepping required no effort on Intel's part since the continued improvement of the 65nm process means that the latest processors off the production line run cooler and consume less power. All Intel is doing is labeling them as such. Such actions are not contradictory and don't mean that Otellini is high or otherwise mentally challenged.
June 30, 2006 3:06:33 AM

Quote:
I thought I might point out that Sood has replied to the slew of comments on his blog. Here's some of the highlights: (Sood is in italics and separate paragrahs are separate responses to different comments.)

Sharikou, Ph. D said...

Mr. Sood, did you feel flattered by the royal treatment from Intel? Think again.

Sir, I appreciate that you have an opinion - although I believe it's flawed.

For someone who signs off as PH.D I am shocked by this comment. You really believe that Intel is going under? That's insane man, with all due respect.

You seem to ignore the fact that Conroe and Woodcrest are killer platforms. You ignoring of these facts puts to question your intentions... I recall a time when you openly emailed all the CEO's of every major company and cc'd me without warning - you wrote a message without doing the research or asking questions. Granted I believe you recognized your mistake after the fact, but It seems that you are doing the same now, and I suggest that you take a long good look at what you are writing ... Sir, please don't take this the wrong way but if you want to maintain a shred of credibility you should try to look at the actual technology.

Yeah, there is no question that AMD is in a strong growth position -- but there's no arguing the platform performance of Conroe and Woodcrest. It's real, it works.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Wheres that in his blog?
June 30, 2006 3:08:56 AM

Quote:
Wheres that in his blog?

http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/06/rabbit-and-hare.ht...

Sharikou's been spamming Sood ever since I pointed Sood's latest blog out to Sharikou when he was here yesterday. They're all down in the comments section below Sood's original blog words. I guess Sood's had enough of Sharikou cluttering up his website.
June 30, 2006 3:13:23 AM

Funniest stuff I've ever read! Thanks for that.

I love how he uses his own blog as proof, never fails to make me laugh.
June 30, 2006 3:34:48 AM

Quote:

That was quite entertaining! I just can't understand why anybody would want to go through life getting owned so much. I mean this guy is the biggest glutton for punishment I have ever seen (well, except for possibly BM these last couple days)
June 30, 2006 3:38:26 AM

9-inch also got owned plenty recently. Which reminds me where is he? His hero is in town and we haven't seen him at all. He'll be most upset.
June 30, 2006 4:00:05 AM

I dont even understand why you guys should answer to Sharikou. It sounds like he wouldnt take anything else beside AMD is KING.

[/quote] Intel has pretty much run out of cash and had to sell business for salary money for its workers. You think Intel has plenty of cash? Check their balance sheet. As of 1Q06, they had $13 billion cash, but they had $9.8 billion of bills to pay. Intel's prices have crashed 50%, and their new chips are nowhere to be found. That company is going under, my friend, and they desperately need your business to stay afloat.

I think its not only rude for him to say something like that to a prominent system builder-they desparately need your business to stay afloat? Sounds like he calls Mr. Sood an idiot to use Intel. Sharikou and 9-inch keep saying that the benchies from many good benchmark site is being bribed by Intel. If this is true, time will answer, and Intel Exec. would be incredibly dumb to use this tactics-it wouldnt last long, see what happens to GM and Ford if they havent started to really change their business?
June 30, 2006 4:01:38 AM

Sometimes, the best way to shut up a guy is to ignore him
June 30, 2006 4:18:31 AM

Quote:

The voice of ignorance continues to speak.....
June 30, 2006 4:27:33 AM

Quote:
I dont even understand why you guys should answer to Sharikou. It sounds like he wouldnt take anything else beside AMD is KING.

Well soon they will be the king of the value sector !!! hmmm value being translated as cheap hehehehe :)  Well im sure AMD will do something but I just hope its not before I sell all my Intel stock in about 6 weeks or so lol (at that time I may buy AMD stock who knows !!!)
June 30, 2006 4:27:46 AM

Quote:
I dont even understand why you guys should answer to Sharikou.

Nevertheless, it's pretty amusing to watch Rahul Sood, a pretty big name in the enthusiast computing community, own Sharikou.
June 30, 2006 5:28:15 PM

Personally, I wouldnt want either AMD or Intel to go down, cuz its gonna suck for all gamers. Remember the time when only Intel is on the market? Not much of progress in PC processors. Consumers need competition like this. Surely AMD will reply to Conroe, and then Intel gonna fight back, thats the awesome game of business that I never want it to end (heck, without it, we still gonna stuck with the lame P4)
June 30, 2006 5:52:23 PM

Quote:

That was quite entertaining! I just can't understand why anybody would want to go through life getting owned so much. I mean this guy is the biggest glutton for punishment I have ever seen (well, except for possibly BM these last couple days)

Fellate me.

No one pwned anything here.

All the people at JonesTown drank the poisoned KoolAid. Did that make it right?
June 30, 2006 6:38:28 PM

Quote:

Fellate me.

Why are you always asking other guys to do this? Is there a hidden message there?

Quote:

False statement...accept the inevitable.

Quote:

All the people at JonesTown drank the poisoned KoolAid. Did that make it right?

What are you implying here? Are you saying that everyone is jumping on the BM beat-down band wagon? If so, that contradicts your previous statement.
June 30, 2006 6:57:59 PM

Why this is significant is that as you have yourself said, Sood traditionally is a Pro-AMD guy.

And even he has accepted that the Core 2s are good, really good. According to him, "*!%#ing fast".

And, yeah, Sharikou cleanly got owned by Mr. Sood. :D 

I think Sharikou was just pissed that, as he saw it, the most credible AMD supporter in cyberspace was also turned into a "paid pumper"...
June 30, 2006 7:46:30 PM

No idea why BaronMatrix even said Mr. Sood is a Pro-AMD guy. Maybe on a personal level, but on business wise, it's dumb for an Exec. to be on one side or another. The best performance and value rules all. And Im sure when Mr. Sood speaks about Intel changes recently in his blog, he speaks as a company exec.
June 30, 2006 7:54:40 PM

Well, Sood has in the past definitely applauded more AMD products than Intel ones, and criticized Intel more than AMD. At least on a personal level, he has been pretty much pro-AMD. Even now, on a personal level, I think he supports AMD more than Intel.

But now, by appreciating the Core products for what they are, he has given one important lesson to people like Sharikou, MMM, 9-inch, BaronMatrix, etc. : that it is possible to be both Pro-AMD AND intelligent.
June 30, 2006 8:05:53 PM

Quote:
Why this is significant is that as you have yourself said, Sood traditionally is a Pro-AMD guy.

And even he has accepted that the Core 2s are good, really good. According to him, "*!%#ing fast".

I think Sharikou was just pissed that, as he saw it, the most credible AMD supporter in cyberspace was also turned into a "paid pumper"...

I never thought that people would take that to mean that he was Anti-Intel. Rahul feels that there should be two CPU suppliers. He makes more money due to greater variety.

Sharikou does get carried away with his opinion. Maybe he used to work for Cyrix.

I'm definitely going to check the thread though.
June 30, 2006 8:06:33 PM

Quote:

I never thought that people would take that to mean that he was Anti-Intel. Rahul feels that there should be two CPU suppliers. He makes more money due to greater variety.

Sharikou does get carried away with his opinion. Maybe he used to work for Cyrix.

I'm definitely going to check the thread though.
June 30, 2006 8:54:06 PM

Quote:
Well, Sood has in the past definitely applauded more AMD products than Intel ones, and criticized Intel more than AMD. At least on a personal level, he has been pretty much pro-AMD. Even now, on a personal level, I think he supports AMD more than Intel.

But now, by appreciating the Core products for what they are, he has given one important lesson to people like Sharikou, MMM, 9-inch, BaronMatrix, etc. : that it is possible to be both Pro-AMD AND intelligent.

Give it up. Go to www.msd2d.com sign up and search for "Data Modeling in Windows" It is the most popular .Net tip on the site and it's mine, so obviously unless the person can be shown to have more money than you, they can't be right if they disagree with you.

I never said he was anti-Intel, just that he does LIKE AMD as a CPU company.
June 30, 2006 9:02:48 PM

Quote:

So HIS COMPANY SELLING THEM DOESN'T SAY THAT HE IS PRO-AMD?
June 30, 2006 9:44:50 PM

Quote:

I think you need to check the definition of owned again.
June 30, 2006 9:58:46 PM

Quote:

I think you need to check the definition of owned again.

The actual definition is that you paid someone for me. Did you? You must want a refund.
June 30, 2006 10:03:57 PM

I'd never pay money for you, I'd have to be paid money to own you because you suck so much.
!