New Enermax Liberty DOA?

sjm992

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Just received my new Enermax Liberty 400 so I tried to power it up on the bench before connecting it to the PC. Nothing, no sound, no fan. I connected a couple of molex connectors to hard drives, nothing. I didn't connect to the motherboard because I was afraid of damaging it if the PS is faulty. Is this a valid test or does every connection have to be made before the PS will run?

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
You have to turn the PS on. Google search for 'how to bench test a power supply". It's simple to turn them on by shorting 2 pins in the MB connector, but I don't know what pins they are, and you can find it easily if you search for it.

ADDED: Pin 14, active low. Google = wonderful thing.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Like the other poster said you have to short the green wire and one black one...

PSU's are designed not to power up without a signal from the motherboard and the power on switch, therefore if you don't have it connected to the motherboard it won't normally power up.

Take a paper clip and find the green wire (#14) and there should be a black wire right beside it, use a paper clip to connect the two (do this with the power switch on off) once connected turn the psu on.

sjm992

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Thank you both for your replies. As you can probably tell, I've never replaced a PS before! I'll test it tonight.