Windows 98 games

DMT

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2004

I have been playing freecell, solitaire, hearts, and minesweeper without
problems unitl last week. I went to Start,Programs, Accessories, Games and
when I clicked freecell, an error messsage came up and said that any unsaved
info would be lost.I could click ignore, and nothing happened, then when I
clicked close, a new message came up and said there was a protection fault in
the cards.dll . And the program only allowed me to close it. Now nothing
works in the games folder. I tried to follow the reinstall and still nothing.
What do I do now?

Hi DMT,

Reinstall Windows 98 over itself by running setup from your Windows 98
CD. This will correct those errors, and scan the disk for any errors as well.

Let me know if you have any problems.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"dmt" <dmt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:013E3177-A65E-49DF-A531-B325A1A8942F@microsoft.com...
>I have been playing freecell, solitaire, hearts, and minesweeper without
> problems unitl last week. I went to Start,Programs, Accessories, Games and
> when I clicked freecell, an error messsage came up and said that any unsaved
> info would be lost.I could click ignore, and nothing happened, then when I
> clicked close, a new message came up and said there was a protection fault in
> the cards.dll . And the program only allowed me to close it. Now nothing
> works in the games folder. I tried to follow the reinstall and still nothing.
> What do I do now?

I have been using Freecell for a number of years. Last week I had a problem
with a file and did a procedure to reinstall the MSCVRT.DLL file. This fixed
the problem with Internet Explorer; however, now Freecell is acting up. I
get not border lines in Freecell and partical card images appear in the area
on teh top left corner where you place you free cell cards.

I am not sure if I have a copy of the Freecell program to reinstall if that
is what is needed.

1) Did the .dll finle installation create problems for Freecell?
2) Is this a memory problem only? (I installed IE 6.0 very recently and
that may be a source of trouble.)
3) If I need to reinstall Freecell, where can I get a new download? I am
running Windows 98SE.

Regards,

Robert

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi DMT,
>
> Reinstall Windows 98 over itself by running setup from your Windows 98
> CD. This will correct those errors, and scan the disk for any errors as well.
>
> Let me know if you have any problems.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "dmt" <dmt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:013E3177-A65E-49DF-A531-B325A1A8942F@microsoft.com...
> >I have been playing freecell, solitaire, hearts, and minesweeper without
> > problems unitl last week. I went to Start,Programs, Accessories, Games and
> > when I clicked freecell, an error messsage came up and said that any unsaved
> > info would be lost.I could click ignore, and nothing happened, then when I
> > clicked close, a new message came up and said there was a protection fault in
> > the cards.dll . And the program only allowed me to close it. Now nothing
> > works in the games folder. I tried to follow the reinstall and still nothing.
> > What do I do now?

Hi Robert,

Most likely, you'll need to reinstall FreeCell.

To Install or Uninstall Windows 9x Games:

Click START / Settings / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs /
Click on the Windows Setup tab and double-click Accessories.
Check the box beside Games, then click OK / click OK again.
You'll need your Windows 98 Setup CD to complete the installation
unless the win98 .cab files directory was saved on your hard drive.

--

"Robert1105" <Robert1105@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2BABD5E-0D55-4BCC-ABE7-E90D98334A19@microsoft.com...
>I have been using Freecell for a number of years. Last week I had a problem
> with a file and did a procedure to reinstall the MSCVRT.DLL file. This fixed
> the problem with Internet Explorer; however, now Freecell is acting up. I
> get not border lines in Freecell and partical card images appear in the area
> on teh top left corner where you place you free cell cards.
>
> I am not sure if I have a copy of the Freecell program to reinstall if that
> is what is needed.
>
> 1) Did the .dll finle installation create problems for Freecell?
> 2) Is this a memory problem only? (I installed IE 6.0 very recently and
> that may be a source of trouble.)
> 3) If I need to reinstall Freecell, where can I get a new download? I am
> running Windows 98SE.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert
>

> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi DMT,
>>
>> Reinstall Windows 98 over itself by running setup from your Windows 98
>> CD. This will correct those errors, and scan the disk for any errors as well.
>>
>> Let me know if you have any problems.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
>> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
>>
>> "dmt" <dmt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:013E3177-A65E-49DF-A531-B325A1A8942F@microsoft.com...
>> >I have been playing freecell, solitaire, hearts, and minesweeper without
>> > problems unitl last week. I went to Start,Programs, Accessories, Games and
>> > when I clicked freecell, an error messsage came up and said that any unsaved
>> > info would be lost.I could click ignore, and nothing happened, then when I
>> > clicked close, a new message came up and said there was a protection fault in
>> > the cards.dll . And the program only allowed me to close it. Now nothing
>> > works in the games folder. I tried to follow the reinstall and still nothing.
>> > What do I do now?

I finally got back to this and I followed your instructions; however, I still
get no borders on Freecell and the screen is not repainting correctly. It is
leaving pieces of the cards in the top left corner of the play area. Any
other ideas?

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Most likely, you'll need to reinstall FreeCell.
>
> To Install or Uninstall Windows 9x Games:
>
> Click START / Settings / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs /
> Click on the Windows Setup tab and double-click Accessories.
> Check the box beside Games, then click OK / click OK again.
> You'll need your Windows 98 Setup CD to complete the installation
> unless the win98 .cab files directory was saved on your hard drive.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>

> "Robert1105" <Robert1105@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2BABD5E-0D55-4BCC-ABE7-E90D98334A19@microsoft.com...
> >I have been using Freecell for a number of years. Last week I had a problem
> > with a file and did a procedure to reinstall the MSCVRT.DLL file. This fixed
> > the problem with Internet Explorer; however, now Freecell is acting up. I
> > get not border lines in Freecell and partical card images appear in the area
> > on teh top left corner where you place you free cell cards.
> >
> > I am not sure if I have a copy of the Freecell program to reinstall if that
> > is what is needed.
> >
> > 1) Did the .dll finle installation create problems for Freecell?
> > 2) Is this a memory problem only? (I installed IE 6.0 very recently and
> > that may be a source of trouble.)
> > 3) If I need to reinstall Freecell, where can I get a new download? I am
> > running Windows 98SE.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Robert
> >

> > "Jimmy S." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi DMT,
> >>
> >> Reinstall Windows 98 over itself by running setup from your Windows 98
> >> CD. This will correct those errors, and scan the disk for any errors as well.
> >>
> >> Let me know if you have any problems.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> >> _________________________________________________________

Hi Robert,

Seems like that problem you had with that file you referred to in
your original post was only the tip of the iceberg pc problem wise.

Click Start / Run / then type: sfc /scannow and press ENTER
to replace any damaged system files -or- Run Setup.exe on your
Windows 98/Me/XP/2000 CD to reinstall Windows over itself without
erasing your programs and data. Once everything works fine reinstall
updates one at a time from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com while
testing the game after each update, in case an update caused the problem.

--

"Robert1105" <Robert1105@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DEDCFA6-5BFC-4AB9-8CD6-903E80449DBE@microsoft.com...
>I finally got back to this and I followed your instructions; however, I still
> get no borders on Freecell and the screen is not repainting correctly. It is
> leaving pieces of the cards in the top left corner of the play area. Any
> other ideas?
>
> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Most likely, you'll need to reinstall FreeCell.
>>
>> To Install or Uninstall Windows 9x Games:
>>
>> Click START / Settings / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs /
>> Click on the Windows Setup tab and double-click Accessories.
>> Check the box beside Games, then click OK / click OK again.
>> You'll need your Windows 98 Setup CD to complete the installation
>> unless the win98 .cab files directory was saved on your hard drive.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
>>

>> "Robert1105" <Robert1105@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2BABD5E-0D55-4BCC-ABE7-E90D98334A19@microsoft.com...
>> >I have been using Freecell for a number of years. Last week I had a problem
>> > with a file and did a procedure to reinstall the MSCVRT.DLL file. This fixed
>> > the problem with Internet Explorer; however, now Freecell is acting up. I
>> > get not border lines in Freecell and partical card images appear in the area
>> > on teh top left corner where you place you free cell cards.
>> >
>> > I am not sure if I have a copy of the Freecell program to reinstall if that
>> > is what is needed.
>> >
>> > 1) Did the .dll finle installation create problems for Freecell?
>> > 2) Is this a memory problem only? (I installed IE 6.0 very recently and
>> > that may be a source of trouble.)
>> > 3) If I need to reinstall Freecell, where can I get a new download? I am
>> > running Windows 98SE.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Robert

Just had time to provide some feedback. I finally got this problem fixed. I
reinstalled Windows 98 SE over the existing version. Installed all updates
and the issue was fixed. Actually it was fixed before installing all the
updates; however, I wanted to make sure that the updates were not the source
of the problem.

The good news is I am FreeCell enabled again :)

Thanks for your help Jimmy

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Seems like that problem you had with that file you referred to in
> your original post was only the tip of the iceberg pc problem wise.
>
> Click Start / Run / then type: sfc /scannow and press ENTER
> to replace any damaged system files -or- Run Setup.exe on your
> Windows 98/Me/XP/2000 CD to reinstall Windows over itself without
> erasing your programs and data. Once everything works fine reinstall
> updates one at a time from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com while
> testing the game after each update, in case an update caused the problem.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Robert1105" <Robert1105@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DEDCFA6-5BFC-4AB9-8CD6-903E80449DBE@microsoft.com...
> >I finally got back to this and I followed your instructions; however, I still
> > get no borders on Freecell and the screen is not repainting correctly. It is
> > leaving pieces of the cards in the top left corner of the play area. Any
> > other ideas?
> >
> > "Jimmy S." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Robert,
> >>
> >> Most likely, you'll need to reinstall FreeCell.
> >>
> >> To Install or Uninstall Windows 9x Games:
> >>
> >> Click START / Settings / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs /
> >> Click on the Windows Setup tab and double-click Accessories.
> >> Check the box beside Games, then click OK / click OK again.
> >> You'll need your Windows 98 Setup CD to complete the installation
> >> unless the win98 .cab files directory was saved on your hard drive.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> >> _________________________________________________________

I'm glad to hear everything worked out well Robert.
Thank you for taking the time to post back again. :)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"Robert1105" <Robert1105@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:716B2170-0145-49FF-9746-392538211C07@microsoft.com...
| Just had time to provide some feedback. I finally got this problem fixed. I
| reinstalled Windows 98 SE over the existing version. Installed all updates
| and the issue was fixed. Actually it was fixed before installing all the
| updates; however, I wanted to make sure that the updates were not the source
| of the problem.
|
| The good news is I am FreeCell enabled again :)
|
| Thanks for your help Jimmy
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Robert,
| >
| > Seems like that problem you had with that file you referred to in
| > your original post was only the tip of the iceberg pc problem wise.
| >
| > Click Start / Run / then type: sfc /scannow and press ENTER
| > to replace any damaged system files -or- Run Setup.exe on your
| > Windows 98/Me/XP/2000 CD to reinstall Windows over itself without
| > erasing your programs and data. Once everything works fine reinstall
| > updates one at a time from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com while
| > testing the game after each update, in case an update caused the problem.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Robert1105" <Robert1105@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DEDCFA6-5BFC-4AB9-8CD6-903E80449DBE@microsoft.com...
| > >I finally got back to this and I followed your instructions; however, I still
| > > get no borders on Freecell and the screen is not repainting correctly. It is
| > > leaving pieces of the cards in the top left corner of the play area. Any
| > > other ideas?

its 2005 change ur operating system

"Jimmy S." <nosp@m.pls> wrote in message
> I'm glad to hear everything worked out well Robert.
> Thank you for taking the time to post back again. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Jimmy.
>
> "Robert1105" <Robert1105@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Just had time to provide some feedback. I finally got this problem
fixed. I
> | reinstalled Windows 98 SE over the existing version. Installed all
updates
> | and the issue was fixed. Actually it was fixed before installing all
the
> | updates; however, I wanted to make sure that the updates were not the
source
> | of the problem.
> |
> | The good news is I am FreeCell enabled again :)
> |
> | Thanks for your help Jimmy
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Robert,
> | >
> | > Seems like that problem you had with that file you referred to in
> | > your original post was only the tip of the iceberg pc problem wise.
> | >
> | > Click Start / Run / then type: sfc /scannow and press ENTER
> | > to replace any damaged system files -or- Run Setup.exe on your
> | > Windows 98/Me/XP/2000 CD to reinstall Windows over itself without
> | > erasing your programs and data. Once everything works fine reinstall
> | > updates one at a time from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com while
> | > testing the game after each update, in case an update caused the
problem.

> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> | > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > MS Assisted Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
rights.

> | > "Robert1105" <Robert1105@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I still
Any