Voip over Satellite internet?

Has anyone done it? are there any issues (i.e. delays, lag, etc) or is it
just like a regular voip over cable or DSL setup

Sergio.

sergio Fernandez <fernandez.s@nospam.net> wrote:
> Has anyone done it? are there any issues (i.e. delays, lag, etc) or is it
> just like a regular voip over cable or DSL setup

I've made it work, but the lag is obviously really severe. Okay for those
cases where there's no other option, but I don't think many people could put
up with it for ordinary day-to-day use.

miguel

Intelstat have demonstrated voice over satellite links and the quality
is quite good; especially now that many of us are used to using mobile
calls where the voice quality is poor when compared to PSTN.

Voice over satellite is often delivered into countries where the
infrastructure is poor and so end users accept the poor quality as
there is no alternative.

Farouq.

I'd never heard of anyone trying to use VoIP via Satellite internet. I
would think there would be a really bad lag, but obviously, I have no
idea. I'd love to hear some reactions to how it works.

How much do they charge for the service?

On 17 May 2005 02:55:57 -0700, "Farouq" <farouq_taj@lineone.net>
wrote:

>Intelstat have demonstrated voice over satellite links and the quality
>is quite good; especially now that many of us are used to using mobile
>calls where the voice quality is poor when compared to PSTN.
>
>Voice over satellite is often delivered into countries where the
>infrastructure is poor and so end users accept the poor quality as
>there is no alternative.

Yeah, we have achieved fairly acceptable quality calls for one of our
clients (www.bentleywalker.com) which is a big satelite broadband
distributor. There is a lag of about 1.5 seconds, but if you can cope
with that, it's ok.

This was using the g729a codec.

peter

Peter Gradwell wrote:

> Yeah, we have achieved fairly acceptable quality calls for one of our
> clients (www.bentleywalker.com) which is a big satelite broadband
> distributor. There is a lag of about 1.5 seconds, but if you can cope
> with that, it's ok.
>
> This was using the g729a codec.
>
> peter

That's really interesting. I had no idea that VoIP would work so well
over satelite broadband. That's a pretty interesting concept that I
can only imagine will grow as the industry does.

<ukcats4218016@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Peter Gradwell wrote:
>> Yeah, we have achieved fairly acceptable quality calls for one of our
>> clients (www.bentleywalker.com) which is a big satelite broadband
>> distributor. There is a lag of about 1.5 seconds, but if you can cope
>> with that, it's ok.
>>
>> This was using the g729a codec.
>
> That's really interesting. I had no idea that VoIP would work so well
> over satelite broadband. That's a pretty interesting concept that I
> can only imagine will grow as the industry does.

There are three barriers to smooth VoIPping: latency, bandwidth, and jitter.
There's no particular rason that bandwidth or jitter have to be a problem
with satellite connections, but the latency is almost always severe. For
people who aren't very accustomed to 1+ second lag, it is very disruptive.

miguel

Some times, satelite services are the only option in certain remote areas.
so, I will have to find someone who can make it work.

"Miguel Cruz" <mnc@admin.u.nu> wrote in message
> <ukcats4218016@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Peter Gradwell wrote:
> >> Yeah, we have achieved fairly acceptable quality calls for one of our
> >> clients (www.bentleywalker.com) which is a big satelite broadband
> >> distributor. There is a lag of about 1.5 seconds, but if you can cope
> >> with that, it's ok.
> >>
> >> This was using the g729a codec.
> >
> > That's really interesting. I had no idea that VoIP would work so well
> > over satelite broadband. That's a pretty interesting concept that I
> > can only imagine will grow as the industry does.
>
> There are three barriers to smooth VoIPping: latency, bandwidth, and
jitter.
> There's no particular rason that bandwidth or jitter have to be a problem
> with satellite connections, but the latency is almost always severe. For
> people who aren't very accustomed to 1+ second lag, it is very disruptive.
>
> miguel
> --
> Hit The Road! Photos from 36 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
> Latest photos: Queens Day in Amsterdam; the Grand Canyon; Amman, Jordan

> Some times, satelite services are the only option in certain remote areas.
> so, I will have to find someone who can make it work.

There's nothing that can be done to "make it work". The laws of physics
mean going 22,000 miles up to a satellite and back down again will take
time. That 44k round-trip cannot be gotten around. The only reason to use
satellite is if NO wired solution exists in the area.

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Some times, satelite services are the only option in certain remote
areas.
> > so, I will have to find someone who can make it work.
>
> There's nothing that can be done to "make it work". The laws of physics
> mean going 22,000 miles up to a satellite and back down again will take
> time. That 44k round-trip cannot be gotten around. The only reason to
use
> satellite is if NO wired solution exists in the area.

Geosynchronous Orbit Approximately 280 milliseconds one way

"Low earth orbit is approximately 300 to 1,000 miles above the earth. It
takes about 20 to 40 milliseconds for a signal to bounce from an earth bound
station to a LEO then back to an earth station. This is compared to the ½
second it takes the same signal to bounce off a GEO satellite. "

http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Fall99/Coffey/LEO.HTM

http://www.satcom.co.uk/article.asp?article=11

http://www.satcomgroup.com/iridium/iridium-9505-satellite-phone.asp?lang=#specs

Low earth orbit reduces the trip time but the cost is still the problem,
VOIP is not a good choice for any
satellite system. The overhead of VOIP and digital encoding is not a good
match.

The only device that can work over satellite is Innovaphone, but you
need to know the exactly delay between the end point. Over satellite
there is a bad delay and a bad jitter for VoIP so you have to buy only
some satellite connection. It's very different from DSLsetup.
Innovaphone have the best jitter buffer that I know.

Cristian

cm@nextmedia.it

mazza <cmazzali@libero.it> wrote:
> The only device that can work over satellite is Innovaphone, but you
> need to know the exactly delay between the end point. Over satellite
> there is a bad delay and a bad jitter for VoIP so you have to buy only
> some satellite connection. It's very different from DSLsetup.
> Innovaphone have the best jitter buffer that I know.

I'm using a Sipura 1001 with the jitter buffer set to "high" and it's
serviceable over this satellite link (though the lag is inevitably awful):

PING www.broadvoice.com (147.135.0.5): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=0 ttl=105 time=1240.04 ms
64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=105 time=1171.79 ms
64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=2 ttl=105 time=1103.85 ms
64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=3 ttl=105 time=1035.42 ms
64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=4 ttl=105 time=1277.95 ms
64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=5 ttl=105 time=1215.61 ms
64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=6 ttl=105 time=1147.57 ms
64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=7 ttl=105 time=1263.77 ms
64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=8 ttl=105 time=1506.29 ms
^C
--- www.broadvoice.com ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 1035.42/1218.03/1506.29 ms

Packet RTTs even in this small sample varied by 50%, an absolute amount of
500ms.

miguel