Conroe Release date pushed back to 27th july

Crimson_Yachiru

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
i've never heard of hkepc.com, so i'd wait for some more known site to post an article...

if its true, then AMD fanboys are going to have a feild day making up some stoopid bullshit...

mjp1618

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Actually, Intel is set to release a brand new Celeron D chip based on Netburst.

So, what's your spin on it? Let me guess.... It will consume 1200W of power, perform worse than some chip AMD made in 1995, will have 1MHz FSB, cause lots of BSODs, and will cause any computer to have it to explode.

namralaks

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I thought everyone agreed netburst was not only horrible but also now obsolete I dont get the thinking behind releasing a new Pentium D so near the launch of conroe I mean who in their right minds would buy that

sharikou

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006

So, what's your spin on it? Let me guess.... It will consume 1200W of power, perform worse than some chip AMD made in 1995, will have 1MHz FSB, cause lots of BSODs, and will cause any computer to have it to explode.

Well, I didn't say that. But on second thought, explosion of Intel PCes is a well known possibility. Google "Intel laptop explosion" and see for yourself.

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Well, I didn't say that. But on second thought, explosion of Intel PCes is a well known possibility. Google "Intel laptop explosion" and see for yourself.

Do you honestly think that it had anything to do with it being an Intel based laptop? It was much more likely a battery issue(Dell) than a cpu or chipset problem.

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
It seems like a rather odd thing to do as according to Intel they have been pumping out core2's for a while to ensure a good supply. It's also not like they are waiting for mobo manufacturers to provide boards for it. It seems to run fine on a selection of current boards. :?

Not a dig Im just a little concerned about availability as im eager to get my hands on a E6600.

mjp1618

Distinguished
May 7, 2006

Do you honestly think that it had anything to do with it being an Intel based laptop? It was much more likely a battery issue(Dell) than a cpu or chipset problem.

Don't argue with idiots. They will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Not my line, a direct copy from a signature of some member at XS... But this is quite apt in this case... :D

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
If true then I'll be a little disappointed. Hopefully another site like DailyTech will have a similar article, but shed some light as to why.

Logistics problem?
Lower than expected yields?
etc...

I have a feeling it's to ensure that they have sufficient stock of all levels before releasing. Much more impact if they delay a month or two and have the supply to meet the demand than to release before their ready and have widespread media coverage of shortages.

Also, note that I am not an Intel fanboy, I love my current AMD rig, I just love whatever's best at the time. Looks like for the next year or so, intel's back.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I thought everyone agreed netburst was not only horrible but also now obsolete I dont get the thinking behind releasing a new Pentium D so near the launch of conroe I mean who in their right minds would buy that
Its probably just the last project that's getting out of the door. They probably just want to finish up on this processor in the product cycle. It just won't sell that well w/ conroe coming in. Shrug, that's the only reason I can see for them to launch a P-D - it was done, might as well just launch it.

As for conroe being pushed... its only 4 days. Maybe they just didn't want to launch on a Friday when everyone's going home. :p

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I would guess that they are going to deliever the processors and the announce them so when it's official you can go buy one with out waiting. Since the AM2 release had about 4 days from release to availabitlity in stores, Intel may just want to have it all done at the same time.

clarkbark

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I don't see the big news here. Thats not a big push back for new technology. I was expecting Intel to push it back a couple months.

namralaks

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I don't see the big news here. Thats not a big push back for new technology. I was expecting Intel to push it back a couple months.

The big news is that well this is the best thing to happen to cpu's since amd's athlons and i'm sure no one wants it delayed, even if it is just for 4 days or 4 months

itguy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
As I expect, it is continueing to play out as if Conroe will be a high end chip that will be in low volumes for several months with netburst products continueing to make up the vast majority of new Intel desktop and laptop chips, even well into 2007.

It will be interesting to see how accessible Conroe products will be after its official release.

Woodcrest is obviously Intel's ramping priority, so it is to their financial benefit to advertise Conroe while actually producing Woodcrest as fast a they can to replace those old netburst Xeons as fast as possible.

sharikou

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Woodcrest is obviously Intel's ramping priority, so it is to their financial benefit to advertise Conroe while actually producing Woodcrest as fast a they can to replace those old netburst Xeons as fast as possible.

Intel is definitely paper launching here. The whole server market is only 1.5 million units per quarter, and Intel can't provide 3 days of supply on launch. You will be lucky if you can see a Conroe in 3 months.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
While it may seem bad that websites don't appear to have Woodcrest in stock that really isn't indicative of a bad launch when you are talking server products. It's doubtful that most medium-large business would go to Newegg or froogle.com as your blog seems to indicate and pick up parts to put together their own systems. More likely than not, you'd contact your personal Dell representative that handles your company's file and discuss a mass order. Big orders don't happen next-business day so Dell's July 17 ship date for Woodcrest systems self-ordered online isn't really as bad as it seems.

Supermicro also quotes immediate availability of Woodcrest systems. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but that's what they are marketing.

http://www.digit-life.com/news.html?06/36/14#63614

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
And why are the releasing new pentium d chips
The new Pentium D chips are the 915D, 925D, and 945D which are chips without VT and are going to be offered at low prices, again part of their dual core to the masses strategy. It's obviously an inventory clearing procedure as well. AMD is dropping the prices of the X2 3800+ and introducing a new X2 3600+ to counter this. The new Pentium Ds are also on a newer D0 stepping with the 960D dropping to a 95W TDP to offer better power characteristics. I doubt Intel actually put much effort into this, since it's just a by-product of the maturing 65nm process. Intel is also required to continue supporting Netburst processors since they are part of the current SIPP program which corporations use to standardize their computer systems that they order in bulk. I don't think anyone can complain when Intel continues to improve their older technology.

For the Conroe launch delay itself, it really isn't indicative of any problems with the processor. Intel has 3 65nm fabs producing Core 2s now and previous indications are that stocks are good (of Conroes at least). Besides, a 4 day delay (the original launch was July 23) wouldn't be to increase supply anyways. The delay was probably partly to separate it's launch from that of the refreshed Netbursts that are launching on July 23 to provent too many associations. The 2nd reason has been reported before, and that is that while Conroe availability seems to be good G965 and probably Q965 availability is slower. That's to be expected since chipset production is just switching to 90nm to more tweaking and ramping needs to take place, and with 8 unified shaders in the GMA X3000 and GMA 3000 the IGP dies would be massive which again means slower ramps due to yielding. The P965 doesn't have the same problem and was launched already because it doesn't include the IGP. The 4 day delay would probably be to get the G965 and Q965 ducks lined up properly and probably to finish details on the vPro platform.

mjp1618

Distinguished
May 7, 2006

Intel is definitely paper launching here. The whole server market is only 1.5 million units per quarter, and Intel can't provide 3 days of supply on launch. You will be lucky if you can see a Conroe in 3 months.

Maybe, but I am sure there will certainly be more Conroes around by July end than energy efficient X2s... By the way, how many 35W 3800s did AMD release? A dozen?

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=622630&starttime=0&endtime=0

Dunno what to make of it
And why are the releasing new pentium d chips :?: 8O

I heard this a few weeks ago I was curious if it was true.

intel will be able to lower the price on those chips even more, im shoor there are many companies that will use them, as lo level, power consuming computers, looking at this globaly, there are many other countries in which geting a pc at all is hard(because of the price), this will alow some oem's to produce low level very cheap pc's,
haveny u guyz/gals heard about that program " a pc for $100" i think it was started by one of the universities.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Right, Intel processors just suddenly explode. Wait a minute...
You used this as proof! And you even defended its results!
So Woodcrest is a paper launch. We shouldn't be surprised - it seems like it ends up this way for everything.

TRENDING THREADS