Your question

151 Rum vs. Water for a Heat Pipe

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Heat
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
June 29, 2006 3:43:44 PM

it sounds like some heat pipes use fluids that boil at a lower temp. like ammonia.

but i don't really feel like handling ammonia.

i was wondering if 151 Rum might be effective at re-circulating heat. 75.5% alcohol, the rest water i guess.

i have the impression that buying pure alcohol involves some paperwork which i would just as soon avoid.

More about : 151 rum water heat pipe

June 29, 2006 4:20:29 PM

You mean acetone?

Heatpipes like on heatsinks uses acetone because of it's low boiling temp of 56.53 °C at normal atmospheric pressure. Now with alcohol like 151 rum still the acetone has lower boiling point. Pure alcohol has a boiling point 78 °C so still the acetone is much better for heatpipe.

:wink:
June 29, 2006 4:50:49 PM

neat... i didnt know that.
Related resources
June 29, 2006 4:51:42 PM

Not to mention all those other things in the rum (that other 24.5%) that is just going to gum up your heatpipe.
July 2, 2006 8:11:59 AM

you can buy grain alcohol, 190 proof, 95% pure alcohol at most liquor stores however it is outlawed in several states:
(Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Washington, California, Michigan, Ohio, Florida, Virginia and West Virginia)

and by the way, that other 24.5% is mostly sugar
July 2, 2006 8:31:55 AM

Quote:
it sounds like some heat pipes use fluids that boil at a lower temp. like ammonia.

but i don't really feel like handling ammonia.

i was wondering if 151 Rum might be effective at re-circulating heat. 75.5% alcohol, the rest water i guess.

i have the impression that buying pure alcohol involves some paperwork which i would just as soon avoid.
Would be such a pity to waste that 151 on cooling. Mmmmm that stuff is liquid gold. :p 
July 3, 2006 2:50:26 AM

I have a P5N32 SLI deluxe

The MB has two inbuilt heat pipes for the SB and NB

I have a lian Li PC V 1000 .... Thus the MB is upside down.

I feel there isnt enough liquid in the heat pipes to cool down the NB and SB. (due to the orientation of the MB)

How do you inject more acetone/ethanol into the heat pipe?

Is it possible to make your own heat pipe a really massive thick cylindrical tube full of ethanol / acetone?
July 3, 2006 3:23:00 AM

Quote:
I have a P5N32 SLI deluxe

I feel there isnt enough liquid in the heat pipes to cool down the NB and SB. (due to the orientation of the MB)

Is it possible to make your own heat pipe a really massive thick cylindrical tube full of ethanol / acetone?

NICE motherboard ! been awfully tempting ever since Anandtech gave it that three thumbs up review.

as far as re-working the heat-pipe - that's engineering work, it it's the first time you've opened up a heat pipe, there's a good chance it'll end up busted. if i was going to try and modify a P5N32 i'd have a second one on backup.

does your case have a fan blowing down onto the CPU chipsets ? Tom's Hardware had a picture of a case available in Europe that has about a 120 mm fan blowing right down on that area where the P5N32 has its heatsinks.

as far as making your own heat pipe - sure, you can do it. plumbing type expertise helps, for example drilling and tapping an NPT thread then plugging it, with the right size plug.

some of the do it yourself heat pipe project web pages i found

http://www.benchtest.com/heat_pipe1.html

http://www.cheresources.com/htpipes.shtml
July 3, 2006 3:40:13 AM

Yeah its a nice MB it has its quirks tho... Be prepard for the tweeking!

I originally had problems with the SB heating up so I glued about half an intel stock cooler ontop of the SB

(With the SB you just peel off the Asus sticker and you are left with a flush pice of metal to glue a heatsink onto it.)

The intel stock cooler was cut to fit so I cold SLI down the track.

The glue was epoxy alderite is its commercial name and AS5 (in a 50/50 mix)

Ill post pics if some one tell me how!!!

As for the NB it used to be cooled by the air pushed out form a zalman 7700 but now ive gone to water cooling and there is a lot less air flow in the case.

I can tap metal threads and drill anythink I want..... so Im tempted to try to mod a heat pipe
July 3, 2006 4:18:16 AM

That, or drink the 151 and forget the computer for a night! I still say that's alcohol abuse to do that to perfectly good rum!
July 3, 2006 5:42:13 AM

Quote:

Probably tough to do after the fact and it might not accomplish what you desire. Any way to change the orientation of your HS?

Quote:

One of the easier home made heat pipes uses freon and standard auto A/C fittings to allow fairly simple liquid fill. For NB and SB, you could make your own HP/HS work if you took the time to work out the details. Rather than trying to surface treat the inside of the tubing you use, you could try slipping in a woven metal wick.
July 4, 2006 11:39:38 AM

This is what I mean....
The SB now has additional 240 grams of old Intel HSF....

The SB is now ontop (due to lian li) with a long heat pipe that runs vertical down to a mini HSF just under my Swiftec storm.

The distance is about a 25cm I figure there just isnt enough liquid in that heat pipe to reach the SB.
July 4, 2006 10:59:32 PM

Quote:

This is what I mean....
The SB now has additional 240 grams of old Intel HSF....

The SB is now ontop (due to lian li) with a long heat pipe that runs vertical down to a mini HSF just under my Swiftec storm.

The distance is about a 25cm I figure there just isnt enough liquid in that heat pipe to reach the SB.

I understood the geometry. Who knows - maybe Asus heat pipes are lower tech? I'm planning to get back into the heat pipe literature again soon. When I run across one of the inversion articles, I'll post it or PM you.
July 8, 2006 4:31:57 AM

Your ASUS mobo with a heatpipe was not designed to run upside-down. The basic premise is realted to thermodynamics, NOT fluid level. Liquid acetone (or whatever-the-heck-it-is-that-they-use) is at the bottom of the pipe, as it's temperature rises it turns into a gas and rises up the pipe. Heat keeps it rising to the top. When it gets there the HS fins are supposed to draw enough heat away from the pipe and consequently the acetone inside to change its state back into a liquid and it goes flowing back down to the bottom. Now, this isn't a loop so there is some exchange along the length of the pipe, but that is the basic premise.

With your mobo upside-down, the mechanical construction of the heatpipe is way-screwed. The heatsink fins are at the bottom, instead of the top. You have gone a long way toward fixing this by adding a old modded CPU heatsink to the top. What you really want to make sure of, in this scenario, is that the thermal dissipation (sp?) is much greater at your modded heatsink than at the stock one attached to the (now) bottom of the pipe. This will ensure that your heatpipe will now work backwards, thanks to a greater heat-exchange happening at the top of the pipe than the bottom. If you can achieve this then it will work extremely well as much of the heat will be removed directly at the bottom, with only the excess heat actually traveling up the pipe.

If anyone has any idea how he might accomplish figuring out whether his CPU-HS-mod can achieve a higher heat dissipation (again sp?) please chime in. I'm thinking that a modded(?) water-block might be the answer, or a directed room-temp fan intake would work quite nicely, which woulld mean modding a duct of some sort. The duct might be a very viable option.

I have to wonder though...the heatpipe is designed to run off of the air blown from the CPU HSF. Will the HSF severly hinder his attempts in achieving a higher heat dissipation (once again sp?) at the top? Should he try to block the bottom fins to see if this will help the heatpipe? Interesting questions...as I know there are more ppl out there with upside-down ATX cases out there.
Any ideas?
July 9, 2006 9:12:04 AM

The weird thing about this MB is that Asus decided to use heatpipe to cool the SB and NB but then transfers the heat to the CPU area which is already hot!

I liked the Abit idea of transfering the heat using heat pipe to the outside of the case! (Aw8 MAX3)

The other werid thing is that the SB (with added intle HSF) is now quite cool (just touching the intel HSF) yet the pipe and heat sink are still hot.... Im thinking it is heated up by the moffsets....
July 12, 2006 11:35:48 AM

Quote:
That, or drink the 151 and forget the computer for a night! I still say that's alcohol abuse to do that to perfectly good rum!

LOL, nuff said.
!