Damn thing won't stay off!!

November 29, 2004 2:12:08 AM

Bought a HP1940 for my mum a couple of months ago. I've noticed that the
unit just won't stay off. It turns on every so often for no apparent reason.
At first i thought it was the buttons, so i turned on the button lock. but
it still comes on every so often. the main problem is that when it does come
on, it stays on, although its supposed to go off after a minute. Its driving
me crazy now, any ideas.

More about : damn thing stay

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 2:12:09 AM

I know this sounds hokey, but try this.

In your power management control applet...

- Uncheck the option to turn off the PPC after N minutes
- Perform a soft reset
- Configure and check the option to turn off the PPC after N minutes for
battery and powered modes
- Perform a soft reset
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info

Veritech wrote:
> Bought a HP1940 for my mum a couple of months ago. I've noticed that the
> unit just won't stay off. It turns on every so often for no apparent reason.
> At first i thought it was the buttons, so i turned on the button lock. but
> it still comes on every so often. the main problem is that when it does come
> on, it stays on, although its supposed to go off after a minute. Its driving
> me crazy now, any ideas.

November 29, 2004 2:39:05 AM

Could be that your mum has set an alarm somewhere............

Veritech wrote:
> Bought a HP1940 for my mum a couple of months ago. I've noticed that
> the unit just won't stay off. It turns on every so often for no
> apparent reason. At first i thought it was the buttons, so i turned
> on the button lock. but it still comes on every so often. the main
> problem is that when it does come on, it stays on, although its
> supposed to go off after a minute. Its driving me crazy now, any
> ideas.
November 29, 2004 7:02:42 AM

Sounds like tech support solution for every retail store in the world...

you call with any problem, they say reboot...

"Todd Ogasawara, Mobile Devices MVP" <Todd_MSN@NOSPAMmsn.com> wrote in
message news:eP93r9b1EHA.804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I know this sounds hokey, but try this.
>
> In your power management control applet...
>
> - Uncheck the option to turn off the PPC after N minutes
> - Perform a soft reset
> - Configure and check the option to turn off the PPC after N minutes for
> battery and powered modes
> - Perform a soft reset
> --
> Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
> Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info
> http://www.OgasaWalrus.com/MobileDot/ - Brief News & Comments
>

> Veritech wrote:
>> Bought a HP1940 for my mum a couple of months ago. I've noticed that the
>> unit just won't stay off. It turns on every so often for no apparent
>> reason. At first i thought it was the buttons, so i turned on the button
>> lock. but it still comes on every so often. the main problem is that when
>> it does come on, it stays on, although its supposed to go off after a
>> minute. Its driving me crazy now, any ideas.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 3:19:48 PM

In message <cXsqd.1455$b73.131@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, "Veritech"
<jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Bought a HP1940 for my mum a couple of months ago. I've noticed that the
> unit just won't stay off. It turns on every so often for no apparent reason.
> At first i thought it was the buttons, so i turned on the button lock. but
> it still comes on every so often. the main problem is that when it does
come
> on, it stays on, although its supposed to go off after a minute. Its driving
> me crazy now, any ideas.

Try opening ActiveSync on the device, not on the desktop, and make sure that
the checkbox next to "Use mobile schedule is NOT checked. If it is ckecked
then the device may be trying to sync, although I have only seen this while
the device is cradled.

-palmsolo
-Sent from my MDA III
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 8:46:07 PM

Thanks for the help todd, Tried the reset thing and i'll see how it goes.

"Veritech" <jonathan.dalrymple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Bought a HP1940 for my mum a couple of months ago. I've noticed that the
> unit just won't stay off. It turns on every so often for no apparent
> reason. At first i thought it was the buttons, so i turned on the button
> lock. but it still comes on every so often. the main problem is that when
> it does come on, it stays on, although its supposed to go off after a
> minute. Its driving me crazy now, any ideas.

December 2, 2004 11:46:41 AM

Might also be appointment reminders. Mine was set with default to have
reminders on. Every appointment entered has reminder auto set to 15 minutes
prior. This causes unit to turn on and sound reminder alarm 15 minutes prior
to every calendar appointment.

!