Voip providers and time to get incoming.

Last response: in Networking
May 17, 2005 3:49:10 AM

does anyone know of a voip provider that has incoming calls as soon as you
set up the voip box?
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:49:11 AM

In message <Wjaie.774709$w62.686149@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
"sergio Fernandez" <fernandez.s@nospam.net> wrote:

>does anyone know of a voip provider that has incoming calls as soon as you
>set up the voip box?

Vonage... I suspect most of them, actually.

--
All generalizations are bad!
Anonymous

In message <wtdie.221042$cg1.65589@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
"sergio Fernandez" <fernandez.s@nospam.net> wrote:

>not all, I'm waiting for incoming only have out going.
>just starting to look for an alternative, just in case.

With what provider?

Are you using a provider-assigned number or trying to port a number?

--
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.
May 17, 2005 6:22:38 AM

sergio Fernandez <fernandez.s@nospam.net> wrote:
> not all, I'm waiting for incoming only have out going.
> just starting to look for an alternative, just in case.

I use Libretel's Port-of-Call service. The number started working
more-or-less as soon as I clicked "purchase" on their web site and my credit
card cleared.

miguel
May 17, 2005 12:13:08 PM

sergio Fernandez wrote:
> does anyone know of a voip provider that has incoming calls as soon as you
> set up the voip box?

I got SunRocket with one of their temp numbers and had full service the
moment I plugged in my adapter. Don't know how long it will take to port
my own number when I am ready.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:50:42 PM

In message <j_-dnSKVbMIjBhTfRVn-hA@speakeasy.net> mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel
Cruz) wrote:

>sergio Fernandez <fernandez.s@nospam.net> wrote:
>> not all, I'm waiting for incoming only have out going.
>> just starting to look for an alternative, just in case.
>
>I use Libretel's Port-of-Call service. The number started working
>more-or-less as soon as I clicked "purchase" on their web site and my credit
>card cleared.

Vonage too. I've ordered three adapters and ~7 lines over the course of
the last 2-3 years, the phone number was always active within minutes of
my purchase on the web, inbound calls went to voicemail until the ATA
arrived.

Within minutes of connecting the ATA (the delay being the time for it to
download and update it's firmware), I was able to make and receive
calls.

In the cases where I was adding a line to an existing ATA, it typically
takes less then 30 minutes. If you manually reboot the ATA, it takes
less then 2 minutes.

--
In Jolt We Trust
Anonymous

In message <K%rie.779892$w62.440732@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
"sergio Fernandez" <fernandez.s@nospam.net> wrote:

>It does not make sense that person should be two weeks with no incoming.
>I get a "It takes time to register your number" reply ...... when I ask why
>I don't have in bound yet.
>
>it does not make sense.

Unless you're porting the number from another provider.

--
Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.
Anonymous

sergio Fernandez wrote:
> It does not make sense that person should be two weeks with no incoming.
> I get a "It takes time to register your number" reply ...... when I ask why
> I don't have in bound yet.
>
> it does not make sense.

Sez you :-( i was without incoming for 5 weeks! And that was after it
had worked flawlessly for 8 weeks!

The number "port" had been done wrong. So I got bills from BOTH old and
Voip companies. I got both on the phone and old - co agreed to stop
billing. Well, they issued a "disconnect" order, which has a legally
required 4 week grace period. Ergo on Christmas day 2004 we stopped
getting incoming. Outgoing continued to work just fine. It took three
weeks to get upper management's attention. Then I had to pay the local
company (neither old nor new could do this 'fix' by themselves!) to fix
the local Switch in our town. Then the Voip company could complete the
"port".

On the plus side, the VoIP company gave me a full refund and 3 months
credit.

There are a minimum of 25 steps required to 'port' a number. It is
complicated by regulations and by organizational issues and by the
technology of number portability.

Make more sense now?
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:16:24 AM

In message <Wvwie.224077$cg1.22372@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
"sergio Fernandez" <fernandez.s@nospam.net> wrote:

>How good is the sound quality?

Vonage? I'd rate it somewhere between a landline and a cellphone. It's
generally closer to the landline side of things though.

--
FORTY-SEVEN MILLION LOSE LOTTERY
One winner declared "statistical aberration"