Sign in with
Your question

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
June 29, 2006 7:23:35 PM

Hi, I was wondering if this ASUS board has sufficient room for PCI Slots. I've read a lot of reviews where the PCI Slots are crowded and don't have enough room and can get a bit hot.
For example: If you're running two video cards in SLI, you may not have enough room for some other stuff like a sound card.

I'm trying to figure out if I should order this ASUS..just wondering about the space with PCI Slots...and can I get responses from people who actually have the board ;x

Video Cards i want to run:
eVGA 256-P2-N569-SG Geforce 7900GT(maybe another one for SLI in the future but one should be more than enough for now)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

More about : asus a8n32 sli deluxe

June 29, 2006 8:11:52 PM

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe which has a differenct layout but I looked at the board layout at ASUS' website. If you run two GFX cards in SLI you can still run PCI. If you are using double wide cards(7900GTX) you will loose two PCI slots, this will leave one PCI slot open for sound, and one PCIe 1x for whatever you want to do. I think the 7900GT uses only a single slot space so you will not block out any other cards, and not having SLI right now you will be fine. In the future things might get a little cozy, and as a result will warm up, this shouldn't be a big issue though if you have sufficient case airflow. Aside from that I personally would recommend ASUS, I've had a few minor issues with them but overall their products and support has been pretty good.

EDIT: The cards would only get really cozy and warm up a lot if you used the double wide cards, the reviews you probably read were about using such cards. I looked at the 7900 link you had (missed it the first time, I can see I swear...!) and even with two of those you should have plenty of space unless you fill all of the PCI slots, which on any mobo will be crowded.
June 30, 2006 4:30:37 AM

Quote:
Hi, I was wondering if this ASUS board has sufficient room for PCI Slots. I've read a lot of reviews where the PCI Slots are crowded and don't have enough room and can get a bit hot.
For example: If you're running two video cards in SLI, you may not have enough room for some other stuff like a sound card.

I'm trying to figure out if I should order this ASUS..just wondering about the space with PCI Slots...and can I get responses from people who actually have the board ;x

Video Cards i want to run:
eVGA 256-P2-N569-SG Geforce 7900GT(maybe another one for SLI in the future but one should be more than enough for now)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

hi there, i bought a8n32 sli.
yep, u r right, not much room if u decide to SLi. i got my a8n32 sli, with 2 6600gt, and i am having problem with not enough room. if i place 2 gfx card in with a sound card, no matter which slot i place the sound card to, it is very very close to the either gfx card. i got sound blaster live! value, and the card is pretty thin and tiny.
also, dun think about the onboard sound ac97, u will alot of issue to set it up, i can get 2 channel mode to work, but not in 4, 6, 8 channel mode .....
July 12, 2006 5:53:00 PM

I have the same board - you can probably fit more PCI cards if you use single height PCI Ecpress cards. IT's definitely cramped though - epecially with the joystick et al ports
Mind yoy PC Pro did a group test of graphics cards and came to the conclusion that we're better off buying one graphics card than two lower powred graphics cards. www.pcpro.co.uk
!