Printing small cards on both sides- how?

I want to produce small cards (approx. 9 X 6 cms) with a photograph on one
side and printing on the reverse side.
Is there a programme which can accurately position of the cards on an A4
sheet so that printing can be carried out accurately to position the
printing exactly on the reverse side of the photograph?
Blair

BURT

I am not acquainted with the A4 sheet size, but I have printed two sided
cards as business cards (2 inches by 3.5 inches) on inexpensive 8.5x11 inch
card stock which I then cut apart on a paper cutter. I used the avery
perforated business card format which is found with the label formats in MS
Word or Wordperfect. This would give you the same alignment on both sides.
Perhaps there is a comparable format for A4 size paper. In either word
processing program you can set up your own "label" page format that
essentially centers the output and has the same size waste on left and right
edges as well as the same size waste on the top and bottom of the page.
Photos can be imported in each program and resized within the word
processing document. This was a lot easier than trying to do it in
Photoshop, although you could probably do it as a multiple print setup on
the same page.

In article <wGm8e.2495$J12.1795@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, Burt
<sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> writes
>I am not acquainted with the A4 sheet size

8 1/4 x 11 3/4", European equivalent of US letter.
--
Thoss

Thanks for your help
I did look at Word but could find nothing in the help file. I did not think
of looking at labels!
I was thinking of 2 by 3.5 inches cards and printing them as multiple copies
on an A4 sheet which is a standard paper size
Will now have a serious look
Thanks
Blair

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I am not acquainted with the A4 sheet size, but I have printed two sided
> cards as business cards (2 inches by 3.5 inches) on inexpensive 8.5x11
inch
> card stock which I then cut apart on a paper cutter. I used the avery
> perforated business card format which is found with the label formats in
MS
> Word or Wordperfect. This would give you the same alignment on both
sides.
> Perhaps there is a comparable format for A4 size paper. In either word
> processing program you can set up your own "label" page format that
> essentially centers the output and has the same size waste on left and
right
> edges as well as the same size waste on the top and bottom of the page.
> Photos can be imported in each program and resized within the word
> processing document. This was a lot easier than trying to do it in
> Photoshop, although you could probably do it as a multiple print setup on
> the same page.
>
> "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> >I want to produce small cards (approx. 9 X 6 cms) with a photograph on
one
> > side and printing on the reverse side.
> > Is there a programme which can accurately position of the cards on an A4
> > sheet so that printing can be carried out accurately to position the
> > printing exactly on the reverse side of the photograph?
> > Blair

BURT

If A4 paper is slighty wider than US letter size be sure that the label
format is set up for A4 paper. Otherwise, you will have to edit the label
prg to adjust the left and right margins to be equal (not margins of the
individual labels, but of the stock on which you will print them.) Another
way to compensate if the label prg is not for A4 stock is to cut your A4
sheets down to 8.5 inches wide with an accurate paper cutter.

> Thanks for your help
> I did look at Word but could find nothing in the help file. I did not
> think
> of looking at labels!
> I was thinking of 2 by 3.5 inches cards and printing them as multiple
> copies
> on an A4 sheet which is a standard paper size
> Will now have a serious look
> Thanks
> Blair
>
> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> I am not acquainted with the A4 sheet size, but I have printed two sided
>> cards as business cards (2 inches by 3.5 inches) on inexpensive 8.5x11
> inch
>> card stock which I then cut apart on a paper cutter. I used the avery
>> perforated business card format which is found with the label formats in
> MS
>> Word or Wordperfect. This would give you the same alignment on both
> sides.
>> Perhaps there is a comparable format for A4 size paper. In either word
>> processing program you can set up your own "label" page format that
>> essentially centers the output and has the same size waste on left and
> right
>> edges as well as the same size waste on the top and bottom of the page.
>> Photos can be imported in each program and resized within the word
>> processing document. This was a lot easier than trying to do it in
>> Photoshop, although you could probably do it as a multiple print setup on
>> the same page.
>>
>> "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>> >I want to produce small cards (approx. 9 X 6 cms) with a photograph on
> one
>> > side and printing on the reverse side.
>> > Is there a programme which can accurately position of the cards on an
>> > A4
>> > sheet so that printing can be carried out accurately to position the
>> > printing exactly on the reverse side of the photograph?
>> > Blair

"Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> I want to produce small cards (approx. 9 X 6 cms) with a photograph on one
> side and printing on the reverse side.
> Is there a programme which can accurately position of the cards on an A4
> sheet so that printing can be carried out accurately to position the
> printing exactly on the reverse side of the photograph?
> Blair

Perhaps you could use the label printing facility in Ms Word to create a
sheet of custom size labels?

Otherwise just print the photo 3mm to 5mm oversize slightly so exact
alignment isn't required. That's what professional printers usually do.

> "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > I want to produce small cards (approx. 9 X 6 cms) with a photograph on
one
> > side and printing on the reverse side.
> > Is there a programme which can accurately position of the cards on an A4
> > sheet so that printing can be carried out accurately to position the
> > printing exactly on the reverse side of the photograph?
> > Blair
>
> Perhaps you could use the label printing facility in Ms Word to create a
> sheet of custom size labels?
>
> Otherwise just print the photo 3mm to 5mm oversize slightly so exact
> alignment isn't required. That's what professional printers usually do.

Thanks to all who helped. The information given is invaluable

> If A4 paper is slighty wider than US letter size be sure that the label
> format is set up for A4 paper. Otherwise, you will have to edit the label
> prg to adjust the left and right margins to be equal (not margins of the
> individual labels, but of the stock on which you will print them.)
> Another way to compensate if the label prg is not for A4 stock is to cut
> your A4 sheets down to 8.5 inches wide with an accurate paper cutter.

A4 is the standard size throughout Europe/UK, Australasia (probably Asia as
well) Basically everywhere but America! (Time you guys caught up?) So there
should be no fear at all that the software won't be formatted for A4 :)