Wireless Internet - CSD

Last response: in Network Providers
October 21, 2004 3:15:27 AM

I wanted to order CSD with Cingular (not GPRS Wireless Internet Express) .
I called Cingular Customer Care and was told that this feature is not
available.
Does anyone know about that?
I am in San Diego, California.

Thanks,

More about : wireless internet csd

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 3:33:49 AM

In article <jkCdd.33071$QJ3.30707@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
mbc@pcbell.net says...
> I wanted to order CSD with Cingular (not GPRS Wireless Internet Express) .
> I called Cingular Customer Care and was told that this feature is not
> available.
> Does anyone know about that?
> I am in San Diego, California.
>
> Thanks,

Not totally sure about San Diego but CSD ability is now INCLUDED FREE in
all GSM and GAIT plans in Texas--not sure if they can even turn it off
on a GSM plan. Try it--you probably already have it. You don't even
need to order Wireless Internet if you have a regular dialup account--
just plug your ISP's dialup info into the pda or pc, attach as a
standard modem (IR, bluetooth, wired) , and dial away. The salespeople
are clueless about CSD. Remember CSD comes out of whatever minute pool
a voice call at that time would come out of.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

thanks Jud,
I'll give it a try and post my response later.

"Jud Hardcastle" <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote in
message news:MPG.1be0b226fc400959897df@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
> In article <jkCdd.33071$QJ3.30707@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> mbc@pcbell.net says...
>> I wanted to order CSD with Cingular (not GPRS Wireless Internet Express)
>> .
>> I called Cingular Customer Care and was told that this feature is not
>> available.
>> Does anyone know about that?
>> I am in San Diego, California.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Not totally sure about San Diego but CSD ability is now INCLUDED FREE in
> all GSM and GAIT plans in Texas--not sure if they can even turn it off
> on a GSM plan. Try it--you probably already have it. You don't even
> need to order Wireless Internet if you have a regular dialup account--
> just plug your ISP's dialup info into the pda or pc, attach as a
> standard modem (IR, bluetooth, wired) , and dial away. The salespeople
> are clueless about CSD. Remember CSD comes out of whatever minute pool
> a voice call at that time would come out of.
> --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA
October 21, 2004 7:41:23 AM

Hi Jud,
I tried doing what you suggested but it does not work.... i get message
"there was no anwer" (error 678... the modem of other device did not pickup
the phone).

i remember that a while back CSD was offered in my market as Wireless
Internet. I wonder if it's a feature that needs to be added to my account.

"Jud Hardcastle" <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote in
message news:MPG.1be0b226fc400959897df@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
> In article <jkCdd.33071$QJ3.30707@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> mbc@pcbell.net says...
>> I wanted to order CSD with Cingular (not GPRS Wireless Internet Express)
>> .
>> I called Cingular Customer Care and was told that this feature is not
>> available.
>> Does anyone know about that?
>> I am in San Diego, California.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Not totally sure about San Diego but CSD ability is now INCLUDED FREE in
> all GSM and GAIT plans in Texas--not sure if they can even turn it off
> on a GSM plan. Try it--you probably already have it. You don't even
> need to order Wireless Internet if you have a regular dialup account--
> just plug your ISP's dialup info into the pda or pc, attach as a
> standard modem (IR, bluetooth, wired) , and dial away. The salespeople
> are clueless about CSD. Remember CSD comes out of whatever minute pool
> a voice call at that time would come out of.
> --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 5:23:45 PM

In article <DdGdd.8378$6q2.542@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
mbc@pcbell.net says...
> Hi Jud,
> I tried doing what you suggested but it does not work.... i get message
> "there was no anwer" (error 678... the modem of other device did not pickup
> the phone).
>
> i remember that a while back CSD was offered in my market as Wireless
> Internet. I wonder if it's a feature that needs to be added to my account.

You shouldn't need WI unless you want WAP on the phone or don't have
another dialup account to use on the pda/pc. Although if they DO have
something turned off ordering WI might turn it back on.

What phone? Is it possible it doesn't have the ability? How/what are
you attaching--can you verify that parts working?
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

In <MPG.1be0b226fc400959897df@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net> on Wed, 20 Oct 2004
23:33:49 GMT, Jud Hardcastle <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com>
wrote:

>In article <jkCdd.33071$QJ3.30707@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
>mbc@pcbell.net says...
>> I wanted to order CSD with Cingular (not GPRS Wireless Internet Express) .
>> I called Cingular Customer Care and was told that this feature is not
>> available.
>> Does anyone know about that?
>> I am in San Diego, California.

>Not totally sure about San Diego but CSD ability is now INCLUDED FREE in
>all GSM and GAIT plans in Texas--not sure if they can even turn it off
>on a GSM plan. Try it--you probably already have it. You don't even
>need to order Wireless Internet if you have a regular dialup account--
>just plug your ISP's dialup info into the pda or pc, attach as a
>standard modem (IR, bluetooth, wired) , and dial away. The salespeople
>are clueless about CSD. Remember CSD comes out of whatever minute pool
>a voice call at that time would come out of.

At least here in California, I don't think CSD is enabled unless you order
either Wireless Internet or Wireless Internet Express. It definitely isn't
enabled with MEdia Works.

October 21, 2004 8:37:46 PM

Hi John,

So what do I need to do in order to order Wireless Internet CSD. I think
the cost is something like $3.99 per month (or at least it used to be).
Customer care does not seem to know what i'm talking about. They only
know about Wireless Internet Express.

> At least here in California, I don't think CSD is enabled unless you order
> either Wireless Internet or Wireless Internet Express. It definitely
> isn't
> enabled with MEdia Works.

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 11:06:40 PM

My understanding (not verified) is that you currently get Wireless Internet
(CSD) automatically with Wireless Internet Express (GPRS and EDGE/EGPRS), but
not with MEdia packages.

Here in California:

1. Wireless Internet is not available separately.

2. The cheapest Wireless Internet Express is 500KB for $2.99.

In the future I would not be surprised to see Cingular phase out CSD entirely,
since it's much less efficient (particularly in wireless utilization, in
addition to infrastructure) as compared to GPRS/EGPRS.

In <uBRdd.8516$6q2.3566@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com> on Thu, 21 Oct 2004
16:37:46 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

>So what do I need to do in order to order Wireless Internet CSD. I think
>the cost is something like $3.99 per month (or at least it used to be).
>Customer care does not seem to know what i'm talking about. They only
>know about Wireless Internet Express.
>
>> At least here in California, I don't think CSD is enabled unless you order
>> either Wireless Internet or Wireless Internet Express. It definitely
>> isn't
>> enabled with MEdia Works.

October 23, 2004 4:36:33 AM

in Massachusetts you can't get it at all anymore on new GSM
plans...the computer won't allow them to enter the billing code...I
spent 25 mins looking over the Cingular store employees' shoulders
while they tried many different ideas...they called their store mgr
who said it can't be done anymore

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:06:40 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said:

>My understanding (not verified) is that you currently get Wireless Internet
>(CSD) automatically with Wireless Internet Express (GPRS and EDGE/EGPRS), but
>not with MEdia packages.
>
>Here in California:
>
>1. Wireless Internet is not available separately.
>
>2. The cheapest Wireless Internet Express is 500KB for $2.99.
>
>In the future I would not be surprised to see Cingular phase out CSD entirely,
>since it's much less efficient (particularly in wireless utilization, in
>addition to infrastructure) as compared to GPRS/EGPRS.
>

>In <uBRdd.8516$6q2.3566@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com> on Thu, 21 Oct 2004
>16:37:46 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:
>
>>So what do I need to do in order to order Wireless Internet CSD. I think
>>the cost is something like $3.99 per month (or at least it used to be).
>>Customer care does not seem to know what i'm talking about. They only
>>know about Wireless Internet Express.
>>
>>> At least here in California, I don't think CSD is enabled unless you order
>>> either Wireless Internet or Wireless Internet Express. It definitely
>>> isn't
>>> enabled with MEdia Works.
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 3:39:02 PM

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<4NTdd.354$_3.6362@typhoon.sonic.net>...

> Here in California:
>
> 1. Wireless Internet is not available separately.
>
> 2. The cheapest Wireless Internet Express is 500KB for $2.99.
>
> In the future I would not be surprised to see Cingular phase out CSD entirely,
> since it's much less efficient (particularly in wireless utilization, in
> addition to infrastructure) as compared to GPRS/EGPRS.

Yet they charge $$$ for it, but not for CSD use!

You'd think if they wanted customers to use the more efficient method,
they'd offer the financial incentive to do it! T-Mobile, for example,
offers unlimited WAP over GPRS for $5/month. I've rarely used CSD
since. It's a win-win scenario- T-Mo gets $5/month from me and I
don't tie up a full channel checking e-mail during my "free" nights
and weekends.
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 12:17:50 AM

In <de37a2e0.0410241039.1fc8b2b3@posting.google.com> on 24 Oct 2004 11:39:02
-0700, elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<4NTdd.354$_3.6362@typhoon.sonic.net>...
>
>> Here in California:
>>
>> 1. Wireless Internet is not available separately.
>>
>> 2. The cheapest Wireless Internet Express is 500KB for $2.99.
>>
>> In the future I would not be surprised to see Cingular phase out CSD entirely,
>> since it's much less efficient (particularly in wireless utilization, in
>> addition to infrastructure) as compared to GPRS/EGPRS.
>
>Yet they charge $$$ for it, but not for CSD use!

They charge minutes for CSD use, which equals $$$.

>You'd think if they wanted customers to use the more efficient method,
>they'd offer the financial incentive to do it!

MEdia Works is a real bargain at $20/mo for unlimited data.

October 26, 2004 5:50:47 PM

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<O5Ued.763$_3.16642@typhoon.sonic.net>...

> >Yet they charge $$$ for it, but not for CSD use!
>
> They charge minutes for CSD use, which equals $$$.

Not nights and weekends...

> MEdia Works is a real bargain at $20/mo for unlimited data.

Not bad, but T-Mo's $5 unlimited is hard to beat. They allow
tethering (which is a grey area w/MEdia IIRC) but limit your
web-browsing to port 80 (no https). When I really need a secure site
like banking, however, I simply reconnect via CSD. To enable all
ports I could bump up to T-Mo's $20 plan. MEdia works is a decent
value though, considering the larger network it operates in compared
to T-Mo.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 2:01:26 AM

>My understanding (not verified) is that you currently get Wireless
Internet
>(CSD) automatically with Wireless Internet Express (GPRS and
EDGE/EGPRS), but
>not with MEdia packages.

You definitly do not get csd WITH the Media Packages -- took me a
couple of weeks of calls to Cingular to figure that out -- the only way
I got CSD on my GSM plan was to add --- Wireless Internet -- either one
of the metered plans or the unlimited for $79 -- not a very good deal
----

Now I understand that you can get CSD by asking for

Feature Package HOME Wireless Internet - Circuit-Switched Data (G)
0.00

The charge is reported as 3.99 -- but I have not asked for it -- so
can not verify -- this is correct ---

now I dont see this on the Cingular site -- But I do see something
called GSM Data Curcuit (CSD) -- maybe thats what is offered now? --
when I click it -- I get a page not found --- so what new with Cingular
---- ( I dont think Cingular wants to sell data ( too much revenue with
voice)-- they just don't support it at all )

--
coveredup
http://cellphoneforums.net

In <de37a2e0.0410261250.658aa508@posting.google.com> on 26 Oct 2004 13:50:47
-0700, elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<O5Ued.763$_3.16642@typhoon.sonic.net>...

>> MEdia Works is a real bargain at $20/mo for unlimited data.
>
>... MEdia works is a decent
>value though, considering the larger network it operates in compared
>to T-Mo.

MEdia is a better value because it includes EDGE, whereas T-Mobile is
currently just GPRS. EDGE is about 2.5x the speed of GPRS.

October 27, 2004 11:21:36 AM

In <coveredup.1erm31@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:01:26
-0500, coveredup <coveredup.1erm31@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>Now I understand that you can get CSD by asking for
>
>Feature Package HOME Wireless Internet - Circuit-Switched Data (G)
>0.00
>
>The charge is reported as 3.99 -- but I have not asked for it -- so
>can not verify -- this is correct ---
>
>now I dont see this on the Cingular site -- But I do see something
>called GSM Data Curcuit (CSD) -- maybe thats what is offered now? --
>when I click it -- I get a page not found --- so what new with Cingular
>---- ( I dont think Cingular wants to sell data ( too much revenue with
>voice)-- they just don't support it at all )

Cingular wants subscribers to use GPRS and EGPRS (EDGE) instead of CSD,
because CSD is much less efficient.

October 27, 2004 10:36:35 PM

> MEdia is a better value because it includes EDGE, whereas T-Mobile is
> currently just GPRS. EDGE is about 2.5x the speed of GPRS.

Do you have any idea when EDGE would show up in the WA market?
the local store personel seem to be spectacularly uninformed, and
calling 611 has given me conflicting answers. (including "what is EDGE?")

Bernard
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 10:55:04 PM

In <TURfd.13102$5O4.1532@trnddc07> on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:36:35 GMT, "Bernard
Farquart" <bernardfarquart@hotmail.delete.com> wrote:

>> MEdia is a better value because it includes EDGE, whereas T-Mobile is
>> currently just GPRS. EDGE is about 2.5x the speed of GPRS.
>
>Do you have any idea when EDGE would show up in the WA market?
>the local store personel seem to be spectacularly uninformed, and
>calling 611 has given me conflicting answers. (including "what is EDGE?")

<http://www.cingular.com/business/gprs_edge_coverage&gt;
EDGE is shown as being available in Washington state.
Current coverage map is <http://www.cingular.com/download/Gprs-Edge_07_29.pdf&gt;
Most (but not all) Washington state data coverage appears to be EDGE-enabled.

October 28, 2004 11:20:00 AM

> <http://www.cingular.com/business/gprs_edge_coverage&gt;
> EDGE is shown as being available in Washington state.
> Current coverage map is
> <http://www.cingular.com/download/Gprs-Edge_07_29.pdf&gt;
> Most (but not all) Washington state data coverage appears to be
> EDGE-enabled.

Uhh, not to seem too obtuse, but how would I know if I
were using an EDGE network as opposed to regular
GPRS? I get 50kbps downloads when I go to DSL reports
on my tethered laptop, my understanding was that that was
typical for regular GPRS network speeds. Am I waiting for
an improvement that is not going to appear?

I have a V 400 that shows GPRS active during my
surfing, and I use mobile phone tools to connect.
(I know you insist it is unnecessary, but windows
won't work the phone for me without it.)

Would it say something else if it were an EDGE
network? I actually am pretty O.K. with the speeds
I get as it is, but hey, more is always better, right?

Bernard
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 12:47:08 AM

In <A41gd.6385$dW.1160@trnddc08> on Thu, 28 Oct 2004 07:20:00 GMT, "Bernard
Farquart" <bernardfarquart@hotmail.delete.com> wrote:

>> <http://www.cingular.com/business/gprs_edge_coverage&gt;
>> EDGE is shown as being available in Washington state.
>> Current coverage map is
>> <http://www.cingular.com/download/Gprs-Edge_07_29.pdf&gt;
>> Most (but not all) Washington state data coverage appears to be
>> EDGE-enabled.
>
>Uhh, not to seem too obtuse, but how would I know if I
>were using an EDGE network as opposed to regular
>GPRS?

AFAIK, only by inference (speed).

>I get 50kbps downloads when I go to DSL reports
>on my tethered laptop, my understanding was that that was
>typical for regular GPRS network speeds.

That's a good GPRS speed, and thus is probably not EDGE.

>Am I waiting for
>an improvement that is not going to appear?

Hard to say.

>I have a V 400 that shows GPRS active during my
>surfing, and I use mobile phone tools to connect.
>(I know you insist it is unnecessary, but windows
>won't work the phone for me without it.)

The V400 isn't EDGE-capable -- you need an EDGE-capable handset (e.g., V551,
due to be released RSN) or PC Card (e.g., Sony Ericsson GC8x) to use EDGE.

>Would it say something else if it were an EDGE
>network?

Not AFAIK.

>I actually am pretty O.K. with the speeds
>I get as it is, but hey, more is always better, right?

My typical EDGE speeds (on Cingular in Northern California) are 2x - 2.5x GPRS
speeds on downlink, and even better than that ratio on uplink.

October 29, 2004 1:12:55 AM

> The V400 isn't EDGE-capable -- you need an EDGE-capable handset (e.g.,
> V551,
> due to be released RSN) or PC Card (e.g., Sony Ericsson GC8x) to use EDGE.

AH HA!
Well, that would explain it then.

Thanks, I thought EDGE was just hopped up GPRS,
I didn't know I needed a different phone.

I guess I will deal with what I have for now, as I
like the phone otherwise.

Thanks
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 1:36:21 AM

In <rhdgd.5296$jD4.2876@trnddc06> on Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:12:55 GMT, "Bernard
Farquart" <bernardfarquart@hotmail.delete.com> wrote:

>> The V400 isn't EDGE-capable -- you need an EDGE-capable handset (e.g.,
>> V551,
>> due to be released RSN) or PC Card (e.g., Sony Ericsson GC8x) to use EDGE.
>
>AH HA!
>Well, that would explain it then.
>
>Thanks, I thought EDGE was just hopped up GPRS,
>I didn't know I needed a different phone.

EDGE is indeed "hopped up GPRS" -- the data protocol is called EGPRS (Enhanced
GPRS, or Enhanced General Packet Radio Service) -- but is sufficiently
different from GPRS to require a different phone.