Backup Domain Controller for Diaster Recovery!

Ok I have two windows 2003 Domain controllers. La-dc1, la-dc2.

La-dc1 is a tree root of a forest. It has Global Catalog enabled.

La-dc2 is the second Domain Controller for our domain.

When we tried a test where we turned off la-dc1 and only la-dc2 could
communicate with the forest after about 30 minutes we could not log on to
la-dc2 server even with a domain admin account. I had to log in as an admin
to the server.

How can I make this server have the ability to act as the main DC and allow
users to authenticate to it when the primary is down?

I have been hearing to make them both Global Catalog enabled but this other
server is on a 100k connection and will only be used in a diaster situation.
Is this still the only way to go?

Can anyone help me with this?
1 answer Last reply
More about backup domain controller diaster recovery

    Hi Donnie

    On Domain Controllers, there is no local admin account ... it IS the domain
    admin. Are you sure la-dc2 has been promoted to be a in the forest root
    domain? It sounds like it's acting as a member server if a local admin
    account exists.

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    "Donnie Barnes" <DonnieBarnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok I have two windows 2003 Domain controllers. La-dc1, la-dc2.
    >
    > La-dc1 is a tree root of a forest. It has Global Catalog enabled.
    >
    > La-dc2 is the second Domain Controller for our domain.
    >
    > When we tried a test where we turned off la-dc1 and only la-dc2 could
    > communicate with the forest after about 30 minutes we could not log on to
    > la-dc2 server even with a domain admin account. I had to log in as an
    > admin
    > to the server.
    >
    > How can I make this server have the ability to act as the main DC and
    > allow
    > users to authenticate to it when the primary is down?
    >
    > I have been hearing to make them both Global Catalog enabled but this
    > other
    > server is on a 100k connection and will only be used in a diaster
    > situation.
    > Is this still the only way to go?
    >

    > Can anyone help me with this?

Domain Controller Servers Windows