Sign in with
Your question

AMD "reverse hyperthreading" speculation...

Last response: in CPUs
June 29, 2006 8:15:01 PM

Just a thought:

Nobody knows what AMD's "reverse" should really mean, so let us speculate...

The poptular explanation that CPU somewhat "joins" two cores and increases IPC per single is very unlikely (anybody knowing a little about CPU architecture knows that).

Now facts: AMD speaks about "reusing parts of CPU for single threaded apps". AMD trashed 2x1MB cache CPUs and introduces 2x256KB cache CPUs.

Speculation:

"reverse hyperthreading" will in fact dynamically (using software driver) switch one's core L2 cache to another core - means if there is single threaded app running, this feature will provide it twice as much cache (1MB or 512KB for new 3600) (maybe twice as much datapath too).
June 30, 2006 12:51:51 AM

Quote:
Just a thought:

Humm... you're late. There are about half a dozen threads on it.

And, it's known as "Speculative Threading" or "Speculative Precomputation".

Cheers!
June 30, 2006 12:54:38 AM

Its also known as Speculative FUD.
Related resources
June 30, 2006 12:56:56 AM

Quote:

LOL damn, that FUD is everywhere, everywhere, i see FUD people from INtel and AMD
June 30, 2006 1:07:52 AM

Quote:

exactly :lol:  the most adequate term.
June 30, 2006 1:20:34 AM

Quote:

Already?! Damn! Been away for a while and... how time flies!

Cheers!

P.S.: Great team. :wink:
June 30, 2006 1:38:44 AM

Quote:

LOL damn, that FUD is everywhere, everywhere, i see FUD people from INtel and AMD

Absolutely..........Intel FUD / AMD FUD, its everywhere .......... activities from both camps are high!!!!

Unless you're the CPU Chief Engineer for Intel or AMD........dont comment on what it can and cant do!!!!

Dont act like you know!!!

Dont speculate, give us benchmarks.....oh~~~it aint out yet so you cant be sure either??
June 30, 2006 1:55:49 AM

Reverse hyper threading is going to be soundly countered by Intel core multiplexing, Intel has this fight covered from all directions, and I dont think amd is suprising them one bit. And from the looks of it multiplexing is completly available and supported by intel on the conroe launch, it is possible with the new bios for the 975x bad axe, and all conroes support it. Amd if anything is too late with their lame ass reverse hyperthreading. http://www.matbe.com/actualites/13666/reverse-ht-core-m...
June 30, 2006 2:01:17 AM

Quote:
Just a thought:

The poptular explanation that CPU somewhat "joins" two cores and increases IPC per single is very unlikely (anybody knowing a little about CPU architecture knows that).

Now facts: AMD speaks about "reusing parts of CPU for single threaded apps". AMD trashed 2x1MB cache CPUs and introduces 2x256KB cache CPUs.

Speculation:

"reverse hyperthreading" will in fact dynamically (using software driver) switch one's core L2 cache to another core - means if there is single threaded app running, this feature will provide it twice as much cache (1MB or 512KB for new 3600) (maybe twice as much datapath too).

Since AMD nor Intel will coin it I'd rather call it DMT (Dynamic MultiThreading).

After reading the latest "unversity research" it will be a boon to any company who uses it.

Assigning for loops would improve game matrix programming in a multithreaded scenario at least 40-50% - especially using optimized time slicing through the partition interface.

Optimization and coordinated scheduling of prefetch (L1-L2, L2-RAM) and the aleady existent (?) parallel decoder/instruction units would allow for multiple instructuion flows in a superscalar fashion.

I would still like to hear if implementation has been considered much less accomplished.
June 30, 2006 2:03:15 AM

hmm, sorry for the ot guys...

whats FUD? :oops:  :) 
June 30, 2006 2:06:17 AM

Fear Uncertainity Doubt. It was a dig at all the reverse hyperthreading rumours and all the people claiming its in AM2 cpus.
June 30, 2006 2:07:17 AM

Quote:

it is what BaronMatrix is saying.
June 30, 2006 2:09:58 AM

Quote:
Fear Uncertainity Doubt. It was a dig at all the reverse hyperthreading rumours and all the people claiming its in AM2 cpus.

Gotcha, thanks 8)
June 30, 2006 2:16:50 AM

Quote:

F ear U ncertainty D oubt.
June 30, 2006 2:23:17 AM

Quote:

link?

I actually printed the flow diagrams from the patent and read several of the othe rlinks provided in one or nother of those threads. Google "optimize ime slicing", thead control unit, buffer tags, speculative loop, or just take about however long and review each of these threads for the links to the proof.

Oh yeah that's right the Smart Power 2.0 costs $69 and the True Power 2.0 costs $89.

:oops: 
June 30, 2006 8:31:55 AM

Quote:

link?

I actually printed the flow diagrams from the patent and read several of the othe rlinks provided in one or nother of those threads. Google "optimize ime slicing", thead control unit, buffer tags, speculative loop, or just take about however long and review each of these threads for the links to the proof.

Oh yeah that's right the Smart Power 2.0 costs $69 and the True Power 2.0 costs $89.

Very good, but you remained to be the most ignorant and the most stupid member on this forum.
June 30, 2006 8:37:08 AM

Quote:

FUD=MMM. :wink:

Oooppss....... * drops a dollar in the jar * :?
June 30, 2006 9:19:33 AM

Quote:
P.S.: Great team.

Is that a reference to teh soccer?
June 30, 2006 11:58:51 AM

Quote:

link?

Very good, but you remained to be the most ignorant and the most stupid member on this forum.

remained to be is improper grammar. You may have been looking for "still remain the"

Oh yeah someone said Intel IGP doesn't suck so your grammar can be atrocious.
June 30, 2006 12:13:53 PM

Quote:
You suck, the atrocious grammer we can live with. :roll:
June 30, 2006 12:49:23 PM

heheh, this forum has more flames then my bbq lol :lol: 
June 30, 2006 1:03:58 PM

Quote:
remained to be is improper grammar. You may have been looking for "still remain the"

It is a fact, my english grammar sux. But that does not change the fact that you are ignorant stupid lair with very low IQ and no knowledge.
June 30, 2006 1:18:52 PM

Quote:
P.S.: Great team.

Is that a reference to teh soccer?

What else?!

Cheers!
June 30, 2006 1:20:10 PM

*shrugs shoulders*
June 30, 2006 1:34:32 PM

Quote:
It is a fact, my english grammar sux. But that does not change the fact that you are ignorant stupid lair with very low IQ and no knowledge.

Aren't you from Macedonia? English isn't your native tongue, is it? How many languages do you speak? Considering that, I would say your English grammar is quite good. I wonder how BM's grammar would be in Macedonian, Serbo-Croatian or Albanian.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2006 2:02:26 PM

Quote:
Reverse hyper threading is going to be soundly countered by Intel core multiplexing, Intel has this fight covered from all directions, and I dont think amd is suprising them one bit. And from the looks of it multiplexing is completly available and supported by intel on the conroe launch, it is possible with the new bios for the 975x bad axe, and all conroes support it. Amd if anything is too late with their lame ass reverse hyperthreading. http://www.matbe.com/actualites/13666/reverse-ht-core-m...

HAHAHAHA! That's funny stuff! HAHAHAHAHA! This is the epitome of fanboyism. Reverse Hyperthreading hasn't even hit the streets, for all we know it may be vaporware, and Intel already has a "counter" for it and "has this fight covered from all directions"...OMG! HAHAHAHAHA! AMD and Reverse Hyperthreading doesn't even know what direction it's moving in let alone Intel already having it covered...talk about FUD...

Even funnier are the "English Majors" making grammar corrections...

Some of these threads are so entertaining...

Effing yahoos...
June 30, 2006 2:13:12 PM

Quote:
Aren't you from Macedonia? English isn't your native tongue, is it? How many languages do you speak? Considering that, I would say your English grammar is quite good. I wonder how BM's grammar would be in Macedonian, Serbo-Croatian or Albanian.

10x. I speak serbo-croatian, bulgarian, russian, english, and a little beat albanian and greek. No matter that BM speaks his native language good, he has no idea what is he talking about.
June 30, 2006 2:51:24 PM

Im not a fanboy, im telling you how this fight is going to happen. And telling amd fans that AMD isnt the only one who has a reverse hyperthreading technology, because just a few days ago 9 inch and the other amd fanboys were salavating at this news of reverse hyperthreading, so they mise well be told that Intel has its own reverse hyperthreading. And intel does have this fight covered apparantly. In one year when im correct, I may laugh at you. And look at the system in my config, and see what processor is in my system before you start calling me a fanboy. Your threads are also entertaining to read, because you state nothing, you say OH NO HES WRONG but never support it. Do you think amd is going to pour money into something without having an intent for it ?...no company would be stupid enough to do so, they know what it can do, they know what they want it to do.
June 30, 2006 3:07:04 PM

heheh, conroe is gonna be a folding beast.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2006 4:21:03 PM

Quote:
Im not a fanboy, im telling you how this fight is going to happen. And telling amd fans that AMD isnt the only one who has a reverse hyperthreading technology, because just a few days ago 9 inch and the other amd fanboys were salavating at this news of reverse hyperthreading, so they mise well be told that Intel has its own reverse hyperthreading. And intel does have this fight covered apparantly. In one year when im correct, I may laugh at you. And look at the system in my config, and see what processor is in my system before you start calling me a fanboy. Your threads are also entertaining to read, because you state nothing, you say OH NO HES WRONG but never support it. Do you think amd is going to pour money into something without having an intent for it ?...no company would be stupid enough to do so, they know what it can do, they know what they want it to do.

Did I offend? Well pardon me Mr. Sensitive...IF in a year from now, you are correct in your assertions, I give you permission to laugh at me...chances are I won't even remember who you are and why you would be laughing, but that's okay if it makes you feel justified...if you haven't already learned by now, here's some advice, take everything that 9-Inch posts with a grain of salt...I'm glad you feel the need to set the record straight and make everyone see the truth, but consider the source before you get yourself all in a tizzy and defend things that most people really just don't give two-$hits about...I make no assumptions nor will I attempt to know about what either Intel or AMD plan for the future...you sig is not justification for holding views one way or another...and thank you, I'm glad you find these disjointed rantings of mine entertaining.

Have a nice day! :D 
July 1, 2006 12:46:03 AM

Quote:
(...) I speak serbo-croatian, bulgarian, russian, english, and a little beat albanian and greek (...)

Man, you're a true polyglot! Aside English & Greek, are those languages similar, in any way?

Cheers!
July 1, 2006 1:20:00 AM

Quote:

HAHAHAHA! That's funny stuff! HAHAHAHAHA! This is the epitome of fanboyism. Reverse Hyperthreading hasn't even hit the streets, for all we know it may be vaporware, and Intel already has a "counter" for it and "has this fight covered from all directions"...OMG! HAHAHAHAHA! AMD and Reverse Hyperthreading doesn't even know what direction it's moving in let alone Intel already having it covered...talk about FUD...

Even funnier are the "English Majors" making grammar corrections...

Some of these threads are so entertaining...

Effing yahoos...

Epecially since if you turn it on the machine won't boot.

Not sure why or even the purpose of it, but they have implemented a complex Dynamic Threading algorithm. They just haven't named it.
July 1, 2006 1:25:27 AM

Quote:

10x. I speak serbo-croatian, bulgarian, russian, english, and a little beat albanian and greek. No matter that BM speaks his native language good, he has no idea what is he talking about.

Not to be funny but you two sound like two girls I dumped.
July 1, 2006 1:45:44 AM

Quote:
..... take everything that 9-Inch posts with a grain of salt

Your being overly generous. You could take anything 9 inch posts with a salt mine or 2.

Peace :) 
July 1, 2006 2:21:39 AM

Quote:
Not to be funny (...)

I agree. It's not how many languages you can speak but rather, what you do with the one you can speak.
International as it might appear, this forum is English spoken (rather, writen); and yes, sometimes you're funny, even in English.

Cheers!
July 1, 2006 2:23:39 AM

I try to be funny rather than cruel as some do. CPUs are fun this should be a fun place.
July 1, 2006 3:08:07 AM

Quote:
(...) I speak serbo-croatian, bulgarian, russian, english, and a little beat albanian and greek (...)

Man, you're a true polyglot! Aside English & Greek, are those languages similar, in any way?

Cheers!
serbian, croatian and bulgarian are very similar to macedonian. But russian, greek and albanian are different. I learned russian at elementary school before Yugoslavia was divided. Greece is our south neighbour and I visit it often. There are albanians in Macedonia, and thats how I've learned a little beat albanian. It is not a big deal, but it is more than BaronMatrix's perfect english.
July 1, 2006 3:10:02 AM

I don't think they are the same thing. Something like this SHOULDN'T meed BIOS spport as it's a low level CPU function.

It's almost like having a BIOS option for instruction set.

There was a rumor that this disables the "dual master" function and allows one chip to run using the full cache and perhaps execution untis for the other chip. This would save power and give intel their "satisfaction/watt."
July 1, 2006 3:11:41 AM

Quote:

Not to be funny but you two sound like two girls I dumped.

Are you sure they weren't actually men?
!