Rollback to NT4 Domain from 2000 mixed mode

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 3, 2004 2:10:02 AM

Have corrupt 2000 AD no backups mixed mode with NT4 bdc's. Have 2K & XP
clients.
AD is still online might be able to push policy to turn off Kerberos or
something.

Anyone have a way to rollback to NT4 without having to re-add these clients
to the domain.

Help...

Thanks,

Todd Bergman
System Engineer ISG
mailto:tbergman@goisg.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 5:01:57 AM

"Todd B" <tbergman@goisg.com> wrote in message
news:o 2Dd63O2EHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Have corrupt 2000 AD no backups mixed mode with NT4 bdc's. Have 2K & XP
> clients.
> AD is still online might be able to push policy to turn off Kerberos or
> something.
>
> Anyone have a way to rollback to NT4 without having to re-add these
clients
> to the domain.

DCPromo all but one DC (Win2000+) to member server.

Remove the final DC from the network physically.

Promote a BDC to PDC -- it will complain about not
finding the PDC but force it to continue.

Now you have an NT4 domain.

Continue by DCPromo'ing that last DC to a server --
it will be the only one that needs to rejoin the domain.

Clean up the problems with you DCs (probably some
DNS issues TOO, if you are like most people.)

In order to get back to Win2000+ you must upgrade the
PDC to Win2000+ -- you either use the current PDC
or (re-)install once of the servers as a BDC and work
back through the promotion to PDC then the Upgrade
of the (now) PDC to Win2000+.

--
Herb Martin

> Help...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd Bergman
> System Engineer ISG
> mailto:tbergman@goisg.com

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:16:55 PM

Thank you very much for your response. They have all XP&2000 clients so
trick
is disabling Kerberos and a what ever it is to allow 2k & Xp clients to
authenticate to a rollback nt4 pdc. I don't want to have to readd these to
the NT4 PDC domain.

news:o mRnA7Q2EHA.3092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!