Restricted Groups > Local Administrators

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

For some strange reason I have been unable to use GPOs to set the membership
of the local administrators group on my PCs. I can make this work on Domain
level groups, but not the local administrators group of PCs. I've clearly
missed something here....

Any tips would be appreciated.

Rob

"Rob" <rjohn@sw.rr.com> wrote in message
> For some strange reason I have been unable to use GPOs to set the
membership
> of the local administrators group on my PCs. I can make this work on
Domain
> level groups, but not the local administrators group of PCs. I've clearly
> missed something here....
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.

Someone finally taught me the trick to these.

Local groups don't exist on the DCs to this is the
initial problem -- you (like me) probably tend to
run AD Users/Computer and the GPO Editor from
the DCs ONLY.

Install the tools on an XP box or on a Win2000 box
(which has the built-in local groups.) This would
also work on a non-DC server.

ADMINPAK.msi in the DC System32 directory
contains the tools.

Run the tools from there and setup the Restricted
Group -- you will be able to pick the local built-in
groups.

This will work because as built-in groups their
SIDs are predictable.

It probably won't work for any custom local groups
though.

--
Herb Martin

> Rob

Herb,

Glad that you remembered the trick and are passing it along.

Cary

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Herb,
>
> Glad that you remembered the trick and are passing it along.

Sorry I didn't remember who told me. Thanks again.

A thought occurred to me however: I suppose this won't work
for restricting custom groups on the computers -- only for the
built-in groups.

Of course, if you go to Native(+) mode then you can build
local groups on the domain and avoid even having to create
standardized custom groups.

--
Herb Martin