Canon i950 Print Problem!

Apologies if this has been asked before.
My printer has suddenly started giving the sequence of seven organge light
flashes which manual states 'contact a canon service representative'.
Unable to print as it seems to be having print head problems.
Can anyone explain what is happening and what I maybe able to do
Thanks
Bob

From the i950 service manual it states that seven (7) flashes of the orange
LED indicates error codes 1403, 1405 or 1485 which is described further as a
"cartridge error". The cure is to replace the head, if that doesn't work
then the carriage gets replaced and if that doesn't work the logic board
gets replaced. The error code can be displayed on your connected computer
using the Canon status monitor for the i950 (you may have to start it first
in order to see the code). The code number will help Canon to diagnose your
problem more accurately.

If the unit is still under warranty, contact Canon for help. If it isn't
under warranty any longer, you should still contact Canon support as they
may have further diagnosing information. Also, try removing and reseating
the print head. Check to make sure that there is no ink on its contact pads.
If there is, clean the pads with a damp paper towel. My guess is that is
probably the head that has died and not the carriage mechanism or logic
board.

Blitzko
=============================
If you find yourself in a hole, then the
first thing you should do is stop digging.
=============================

"BoB-B" <robert.beasley@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Apologies if this has been asked before.
> My printer has suddenly started giving the sequence of seven organge light
> flashes which manual states 'contact a canon service representative'.
> Unable to print as it seems to be having print head problems.
> Can anyone explain what is happening and what I maybe able to do
> Thanks
> Bob

Thanks for your reply.
Can you tell me how I can find the error codes you quoted and what they
individually mean.
Not having much luck finding any info in the user manual.

Bob

"Blitzko" <blitzkoNO_SPAM@sympatico.invalid> wrote in message
> From the i950 service manual it states that seven (7) flashes of the
orange
> LED indicates error codes 1403, 1405 or 1485 which is described further as
> "cartridge error". The cure is to replace the head, if that doesn't work
> then the carriage gets replaced and if that doesn't work the logic board
> gets replaced. The error code can be displayed on your connected computer
> using the Canon status monitor for the i950 (you may have to start it
first
> in order to see the code). The code number will help Canon to diagnose
your
> problem more accurately.
>
> If the unit is still under warranty, contact Canon for help. If it isn't
> under warranty any longer, you should still contact Canon support as they
> may have further diagnosing information. Also, try removing and reseating
> the print head. Check to make sure that there is no ink on its contact
pads.
> If there is, clean the pads with a damp paper towel. My guess is that is
> probably the head that has died and not the carriage mechanism or logic
> board.
>
> Blitzko
> =============================
> If you find yourself in a hole, then the
> first thing you should do is stop digging.
> =============================
>

> "BoB-B" <robert.beasley@virgin.net> wrote in message
> > Apologies if this has been asked before.
> > My printer has suddenly started giving the sequence of seven organge
light
> > flashes which manual states 'contact a canon service representative'.
> > Unable to print as it seems to be having print head problems.
> > Can anyone explain what is happening and what I maybe able to do
> > Thanks
> > Bob

You should be able to see the error codes on your computer. Make sure that
the i950 is attached to the computer and that both the printer and computer
are turned on. Open the printer status monitor. Assuming that you are using
Windows XP, you can start the printer status monitor by selecting
Start->Printers and Faxes. Then right click on your i950 printer icon and
select Properties. When the Properties window opens, select the Maintenance
tab and down in the right hand corner you will see a button labeled Start
Status Monitor. The error code(s) and some sort of description should show
in the Status Monitor window according to Canon's description in the Service
manual.

Good luck,

Blitzko

The Status Monitor should display
> Thanks for your reply.
> Can you tell me how I can find the error codes you quoted and what they
> individually mean.
> Not having much luck finding any info in the user manual.
>
> Bob
>
> "Blitzko" <blitzkoNO_SPAM@sympatico.invalid> wrote in message
>> From the i950 service manual it states that seven (7) flashes of the
> orange
>> LED indicates error codes 1403, 1405 or 1485 which is described further
>> as
>> "cartridge error". The cure is to replace the head, if that doesn't work
>> then the carriage gets replaced and if that doesn't work the logic board
>> gets replaced. The error code can be displayed on your connected computer
>> using the Canon status monitor for the i950 (you may have to start it
> first
>> in order to see the code). The code number will help Canon to diagnose
> your
>> problem more accurately.
>>
>> If the unit is still under warranty, contact Canon for help. If it isn't
>> under warranty any longer, you should still contact Canon support as they
>> may have further diagnosing information. Also, try removing and reseating
>> the print head. Check to make sure that there is no ink on its contact
> pads.
>> If there is, clean the pads with a damp paper towel. My guess is that is
>> probably the head that has died and not the carriage mechanism or logic
>> board.
>>
>> Blitzko
>> =============================
>> If you find yourself in a hole, then the
>> first thing you should do is stop digging.
>> =============================
>>

>> "BoB-B" <robert.beasley@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> > Apologies if this has been asked before.
>> > My printer has suddenly started giving the sequence of seven organge
> light
>> > flashes which manual states 'contact a canon service representative'.
>> > Unable to print as it seems to be having print head problems.
>> > Can anyone explain what is happening and what I maybe able to do
>> > Thanks
>> > Bob

Have found a status page headed Canon i950 USBPRN01 but under the printer
status menu it says that "printer is not responding" and "print head is
uknown". Under the guide menu it says "make sure the printer is connected
correctly, and that the power is turned on (the printer is on-line)"
I have made no changes to the printer at all and has been printing fine for
months.
There is no mention of error codes as I don't seem to be able to get that
far as a result of the seven organge light flashes.
Regards

> [...]
> > your
> >> problem more accurately.
> >>
> >> If the unit is still under warranty, contact Canon for help. If it
isn't
> >> under warranty any longer, you should still contact Canon support as
they
> >> may have further diagnosing information. Also, try removing and
reseating
> >> the print head. Check to make sure that there is no ink on its contact
> > pads.
> >> If there is, clean the pads with a damp paper towel. My guess is that
is
> >> probably the head that has died and not the carriage mechanism or logic
> >> board.
> >>
> >> Blitzko
> >> =============================
> >> If you find yourself in a hole, then the
> >> first thing you should do is stop digging.

You could try unplugging the printer, then remove and re-seat the print head
carriage, clean the contacts, etc.

Not worth replacing the head IMHO, just go get a new IP4000.

> Have found a status page headed Canon i950 USBPRN01 but under the printer
> status menu it says that "printer is not responding" and "print head is
> uknown". Under the guide menu it says "make sure the printer is connected
> correctly, and that the power is turned on (the printer is on-line)"
> I have made no changes to the printer at all and has been printing fine
for
> months.
> There is no mention of error codes as I don't seem to be able to get that
> far as a result of the seven organge light flashes.
> Regards
> Bob
>

> "Blitzko" <blitzkoNO_SPAM@sympatico.invalid> wrote in message
> > You should be able to see the error codes on your computer. Make sure
that
> > the i950 is attached to the computer and that both the printer and
> computer
> > are turned on. Open the printer status monitor. Assuming that you are
> using
> > Windows XP, you can start the printer status monitor by selecting
> > Start->Printers and Faxes. Then right click on your i950 printer icon
and
> > select Properties. When the Properties window opens, select the
> Maintenance
> > tab and down in the right hand corner you will see a button labeled
Start
> > Status Monitor. The error code(s) and some sort of description should
show
> > in the Status Monitor window according to Canon's description in the
> Service
> > manual.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Blitzko
> >
> > The Status Monitor should display
> > "BoB-B" <robert.beasley@virgin.net> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for your reply.
> > > Can you tell me how I can find the error codes you quoted and what
they
> > > individually mean.
> > > Not having much luck finding any info in the user manual.
> > >
> > > Bob
> > >
> > > "Blitzko" <blitzkoNO_SPAM@sympatico.invalid> wrote in message
> > > orange
> work
> board
> computer
> > > first
> > > your

> isn't
> they
> reseating
> > > pads.
> is

> > > light

I fixed a Canon S9000 printer that was doing the same thing as yours.

Try this:
1. Hold down the resume button while powering on, continue to hold the
power button on untill the lite is steady green.
2. After the light is steady green release the resume button and press
it twice (the light will turn orange and then after the head moves
back and forth and stops moving the light will become steady green.
3. After you get the steady green press the resume button four (4)
times (the light will turn orange, green, orange and green again.
4. after the 4 clicks on the resume button turn off the printer. It
may take as many as three clicks or pulling the power to get the
printer to turn off.

If the above procedure doesn't work remove the print head and try the
sequence again.

If you succede replace the printe head and the printer should be
alright.

Did you try the reset sequence with the print head removed?
Try to clean the contacts on the print head with an eraser.

That is what fixed the S9000 I worked on.

If the power button doesn't power off the printer just pull the power
plug.

If after all that fails then I think you have a bad print head, or
the logic board in the printer is bad.

It would be cheaper to get a new printer than to have your printer
repaired.

"terry t" <tyamada@wans-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Did you try the reset sequence with the print head removed?

yes I did

> Try to clean the contacts on the print head with an eraser.

will try this as a last attempt

> That is what fixed the S9000 I worked on.
>
> If the power button doesn't power off the printer just pull the power
> plug.

Power button on/off works fine

> If after all that fails then I think you have a bad print head, or
> the logic board in the printer is bad.

preparing myself for that eventuallity

> It would be cheaper to get a new printer than to have your printer
> repaired.

it may come to that