AD Upgrade

Currently I have two DC's at the root of my forrest. One is the GC the other
handles the rest. I am planning to cluster and have one DC that is run on
Server 2003 Ent. Any docs or test cases out there?

You're planning to cluster? To cluster what? Active Directory? AD already
has fault tolerance through multiple domain controllers.

In addition, if you have only two domain controllers, make both of them GCs.

Here is the guide you need:

How to upgrade Windows 2000 domain controllers to Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325379

I followed this and everything went smoothly apart from using AD-integrated
DNS and forgetting that when I used dcpromo to remove a Windows 2000 DC that
the DNS server on the box would lose its configuration. So that's something
to watch out for.

Regards

Oli

Oli Restorick [MVP] wrote:

> In addition, if you have only two domain controllers, make both of
> them GCs.

Hmm... this really depends on whether the OP has multiple domains in his
forest.

If he does then the DC in the forest root domain that holds the
infrastructure master role should not also be a GC.

Regds,

--
Peter <X-Files Fan>
Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments

That's true. Thanks for the clarification. He does say it's at the root of
his forest, so your advice is spot on. I was assuming a single domain.

Regards

Oli

"Trust No One®" <dana.scully@usa.xnet> wrote in message

> Oli Restorick [MVP] wrote:
>>
>> In addition, if you have only two domain controllers, make both of
>> them GCs.
>>
> Hmm... this really depends on whether the OP has multiple domains in his
> forest.
>
> If he does then the DC in the forest root domain that holds the
> infrastructure master role should not also be a GC.
>
> Regds,
>
> --
> Peter <X-Files Fan>
> Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments
> auto-binned as spam

Well, it's not always true...

Regards,
/Jimmy
--
Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

"Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message
> That's true. Thanks for the clarification. He does say it's at the root
> of his forest, so your advice is spot on. I was assuming a single domain.
>
> Regards
>
> Oli
>

> "Trust No One®" <dana.scully@usa.xnet> wrote in message
>>

>> Oli Restorick [MVP] wrote:
>>>
>>> In addition, if you have only two domain controllers, make both of
>>> them GCs.
>>>
>> Hmm... this really depends on whether the OP has multiple domains in his
>> forest.
>>
>> If he does then the DC in the forest root domain that holds the
>> infrastructure master role should not also be a GC.
>>
>> Regds,
>>
>> --
>> Peter <X-Files Fan>
>> Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or
>> attachments
>> auto-binned as spam

TRENDING THREADS