Child Domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 3, 2004 8:23:14 PM

Hello -

I recently created a child domain to our Corporate domain
(child.corporate.local). I installed DNS on the new child DC's and made one
a GC.

Are there any settings or configurations in particular that I need to set,
IE in DNS etc...

Thanks -

Sean

More about : child domain

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 9:45:49 AM

Should all work assuming client PCs are pointing to DNS in your AD.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"HelpPls" <smd6169@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o q9PQbY2EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello -
>
> I recently created a child domain to our Corporate domain
> (child.corporate.local). I installed DNS on the new child DC's and made
one
> a GC.
>
> Are there any settings or configurations in particular that I need to set,
> IE in DNS etc...
>
> Thanks -
>
> Sean

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 12:10:54 PM

Hi

Depending on your environment, you may want to configure forwarders to
corporate.local DNS servers and create a delegation in the corporate.local
zone for child. Machines in child.corporate.local need to be able to find
_msdcs.corporate.local (assuming this corporate.local is the forest root
domain).

Another approach would be to configure secondary zones of
_msdcs.corporate.local on the DNS servers in child.

It really depends how you want to deal with cross domain name resolution and
whether you need external name resolution too.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team