A question about mods and cheats....

Sirahs--What is considered cheating? I do not think using walkthroughs is
cheating. Is it? To me, a cheat is what I did with Warcraft ll, where I
typed in GodMode. Of course I won, but at the end there was a big blinking
banner that flashed "cheater" over and over again. Kinda took the fun out
of it.
I am very leary about mods. Are they safe to use? Why are they better
than the regular game? Will they damage my system? Why should I use them?
Never tried any before. Which are the "best" and safest to use? If I don't
like the mod, can I change over to the regular game easily? --dennis
6 answers Last reply
More about question mods cheats

    Dennis Curtis expounded thusly :

    > Sirahs--What is considered cheating? I do not think using
    > walkthroughs is cheating.

    There is no such thing as cheating in a single-player game. The game is
    huge and complex and a whole lot of fun, but there are aspects that
    anyone might consider distracting, drudgery, or monotony, and there is
    no point in putting up with them if they get in the way of enjoying the
    game. Mod 'em away :) Examples for me were calming down cliff racers
    past level 10 or so when they just became an annoyance, a merchant who
    could afford my hard won treasures, some hospitality at the Balmora Mage
    guild in terms of a bit more storage in the dorm area. A walkthrough is
    unnecessary, but a personal choice that spoils the rewards of
    exploration in exchange for knowledge. Fine for some.

    > I am very leary about mods. Are they safe to use? Why are they
    > better than the regular game? Will they damage my system? Why
    > should I use them? Never tried any before. Which are the "best" and
    > safest to use? If I don't like the mod, can I change over to the
    > regular game easily? --dennis

    You just uncheck a mod to eliminate it, but your saved game will
    remember aspects that don't reset. If you load a save from before the
    mod, there's no effect. Unless they overwrite files, there should be no
    harm.

    -mb

    Dennis Curtis wrote:

    > I am very leary about mods. Are they safe to use?

    Usually.

    > Why are they better
    > than the regular game?

    That's a matter of taste.

    > Will they damage my system?

    Usually not.

    > Why should I use them?

    Hate cliff racers? Banish them.

    > Never tried any before. Which are the "best" and safest to use?

    The no cliff racers one is GREAT! LOL

    ToolPackinMamaJama wrote:

    > The no cliff racers one is GREAT! LOL

    I keep casually looking for a mod that changes cliff racers into some
    other creature. Something that will still attack on site but that can
    spit venom, breath fire, or drop rocks on your head.

    Also, the creature should have something worth taking in it's
    inventory after being killed. For example: Two ingredients that when
    mixed will boost speed without side effects. "Racer Jelly" and maybe
    in it's stomach, "Fermented Forager".

    Also, it'd be kind of cool if scribs would explode after a certain
    level.

    Walk too close and hear... Thump Thump Thump BOOOOOM!

    Poison spray for ten feet with a mixture of blindness 50% for 60
    seconds.

    "markB" <mb@netweb.net> wrote in message
    > Dennis Curtis expounded thusly :
    >
    > > Sirahs--What is considered cheating?

    > -mb

    Much obliged. I appreciate the info. As for me, I sorta need the
    blasted cliff racers, because my spear skill is only at 54. However, I DO
    get a kick out of casting, say, verminous fabricant and stepping back and
    watching my cast and a dremora duke it out. The fabricant always wins.

    "Dennis Curtis" <curtisd1@verizon.net> wrote:

    > However, I DO
    > get a kick out of casting, say, verminous fabricant and stepping back and
    > watching my cast and a dremora duke it out

    That's a Tribunal spell, right?

    Do you remember where you picked it up?

    The only time I've ever had access is when I downloaded a GotY save
    for xbox.

    "Chobeo" <vanity@chobeo.com> wrote in message
    > "Dennis Curtis" <curtisd1@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    > > However, I DO
    > > get a kick out of casting, say, verminous fabricant and stepping back
    and
    > > watching my cast and a dremora duke it out
    >
    > That's a Tribunal spell, right?
    >
    > Do you remember where you picked it up?
    >
    > The only time I've ever had access is when I downloaded a GotY save
    > for xbox.
    >
    > Yes, it comes from Tribunal. Most of my spells I have made in Ald'ruhn,
    because they never miss. So I capture in Tribunal, or anywhere else, go to
    the Mages guild in Ald'ruhn and pick an enchantment to make. I have the PC
    version and it isn 't GOTY.
    I picked it up doing the final quest in tribunal, which involved killing
    off Alemexia. Of course, this was one of the two times I felt most
    stooooopid. The Dome of Urdok and the Earth Pillar(stone) in Bloodmoon.
    Please make sure you have Azura's Star before you confront Alemexia. As far
    as I know, this is the only item that enables you to cast a constant spell.
    With Azura's Star, you have 3 choices---constant effect, target and self.
    With everything else, you have only two choices, target and self. When you
    kill off Alemexia, you get back the ring that casts Verminous fabricant
    and/or transport to four places. The verminous fabricant is for 60 seconds!
    Another cool one is cast bear in Bloodmoon, but I missed that one. I
    have cast wolf instead. --dennis

Games Warcraft Video Games