A question about mods and cheats....

Last response: in Video Games
April 9, 2004 8:57:12 AM

Sirahs--What is considered cheating? I do not think using walkthroughs is
cheating. Is it? To me, a cheat is what I did with Warcraft ll, where I
typed in GodMode. Of course I won, but at the end there was a big blinking
banner that flashed "cheater" over and over again. Kinda took the fun out
of it.
I am very leary about mods. Are they safe to use? Why are they better
than the regular game? Will they damage my system? Why should I use them?
Never tried any before. Which are the "best" and safest to use? If I don't
like the mod, can I change over to the regular game easily? --dennis

More about : question mods cheats

Anonymous
April 9, 2004 8:57:13 AM

Dennis Curtis expounded thusly :

> Sirahs--What is considered cheating? I do not think using
> walkthroughs is cheating.

There is no such thing as cheating in a single-player game. The game is
huge and complex and a whole lot of fun, but there are aspects that
anyone might consider distracting, drudgery, or monotony, and there is
no point in putting up with them if they get in the way of enjoying the
game. Mod 'em away :)  Examples for me were calming down cliff racers
past level 10 or so when they just became an annoyance, a merchant who
could afford my hard won treasures, some hospitality at the Balmora Mage
guild in terms of a bit more storage in the dorm area. A walkthrough is
unnecessary, but a personal choice that spoils the rewards of
exploration in exchange for knowledge. Fine for some.

> I am very leary about mods. Are they safe to use? Why are they
> better than the regular game? Will they damage my system? Why
> should I use them? Never tried any before. Which are the "best" and
> safest to use? If I don't like the mod, can I change over to the
> regular game easily? --dennis

You just uncheck a mod to eliminate it, but your saved game will
remember aspects that don't reset. If you load a save from before the
mod, there's no effect. Unless they overwrite files, there should be no
harm.

-mb
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 1:28:28 AM

Dennis Curtis wrote:

> I am very leary about mods. Are they safe to use?

Usually.

> Why are they better
> than the regular game?

That's a matter of taste.

> Will they damage my system?

Usually not.

> Why should I use them?

Hate cliff racers? Banish them.

> Never tried any before. Which are the "best" and safest to use?

The no cliff racers one is GREAT! LOL
April 11, 2004 10:43:01 AM

ToolPackinMamaJama wrote:

> The no cliff racers one is GREAT! LOL

I keep casually looking for a mod that changes cliff racers into some
other creature. Something that will still attack on site but that can
spit venom, breath fire, or drop rocks on your head.

Also, the creature should have something worth taking in it's
inventory after being killed. For example: Two ingredients that when
mixed will boost speed without side effects. "Racer Jelly" and maybe
in it's stomach, "Fermented Forager".

Also, it'd be kind of cool if scribs would explode after a certain
level.

Walk too close and hear... Thump Thump Thump BOOOOOM!

Poison spray for ten feet with a mixture of blindness 50% for 60
seconds.
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 8:20:54 AM

"markB" <mb@netweb.net> wrote in message
> Dennis Curtis expounded thusly :
>
> > Sirahs--What is considered cheating?

> -mb

Much obliged. I appreciate the info. As for me, I sorta need the
blasted cliff racers, because my spear skill is only at 54. However, I DO
get a kick out of casting, say, verminous fabricant and stepping back and
watching my cast and a dremora duke it out. The fabricant always wins.

Anonymous
April 14, 2004 8:38:21 PM

"Dennis Curtis" <curtisd1@verizon.net> wrote:

> However, I DO
> get a kick out of casting, say, verminous fabricant and stepping back and
> watching my cast and a dremora duke it out

That's a Tribunal spell, right?

Do you remember where you picked it up?

The only time I've ever had access is when I downloaded a GotY save
for xbox.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 7:59:45 AM

"Chobeo" <vanity@chobeo.com> wrote in message
> "Dennis Curtis" <curtisd1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > However, I DO
> > get a kick out of casting, say, verminous fabricant and stepping back
and
> > watching my cast and a dremora duke it out
>
> That's a Tribunal spell, right?
>
> Do you remember where you picked it up?
>
> The only time I've ever had access is when I downloaded a GotY save
> for xbox.
>
> Yes, it comes from Tribunal. Most of my spells I have made in Ald'ruhn,
because they never miss. So I capture in Tribunal, or anywhere else, go to
the Mages guild in Ald'ruhn and pick an enchantment to make. I have the PC
version and it isn 't GOTY.
I picked it up doing the final quest in tribunal, which involved killing
off Alemexia. Of course, this was one of the two times I felt most
stooooopid. The Dome of Urdok and the Earth Pillar(stone) in Bloodmoon.
Please make sure you have Azura's Star before you confront Alemexia. As far
as I know, this is the only item that enables you to cast a constant spell.
With Azura's Star, you have 3 choices---constant effect, target and self.
With everything else, you have only two choices, target and self. When you
kill off Alemexia, you get back the ring that casts Verminous fabricant
and/or transport to four places. The verminous fabricant is for 60 seconds!
Another cool one is cast bear in Bloodmoon, but I missed that one. I
have cast wolf instead. --dennis
!