error upon startup-Java Virtual Machine Launcher

Today upon startup, I got an error that popped up I have never seen before.
It was "Java Virtual Machine Launcher-Fatal exception occurred. Program will
exit."
I clicked on OK . I rebooted the computer and the error reappeared at
exactly the same time. I could not find any reference to this exact error in
the Knowledge base and need to know what possibly could have caused this now,
after several months of smooth sailing? I ignored the error , since I
couldn't get rid of it anyway and haven't noticed any consequences yet. How
do I get rid of this error and what problems can it cause if I don't clear
this error up?
2 answers Last reply
More about error startup java virtual machine launcher

    Hi Deb...
    If you go to start, all programs, accessories, command prompt...type in:
    jview
    and hit enter.
    If your version of JVM end in the numbers 3810, you can go here, download it, and
    try re-installing it:
    Post back if you seem to have then solved the problem or need further assistance.

    Take Care...
    Dee

    Deb B. wrote:

    > Today upon startup, I got an error that popped up I have never seen before.
    > It was "Java Virtual Machine Launcher-Fatal exception occurred. Program will
    > exit."
    > I clicked on OK . I rebooted the computer and the error reappeared at
    > exactly the same time. I could not find any reference to this exact error in
    > the Knowledge base and need to know what possibly could have caused this now,
    > after several months of smooth sailing? I ignored the error , since I
    > couldn't get rid of it anyway and haven't noticed any consequences yet. How
    > do I get rid of this error and what problems can it cause if I don't clear
    > this error up?

    Thanks Dee ,
    I followed your directions and went to the Command prompt. When I typed in
    ":jview" nothing happens. I am presented with the same line with the blinking
    cursor at the end. I also typed "jview" with no preceding colon, but then I
    actually got the errror message-" 'jview' is not recognized as an internal or
    external command".
    I have Windows XP home edition pre-installed and I updated to service pack 2
    about a month ago and recently downloaded ad-aware software. I have been a
    MacIntosh user for several years ,so I really know very little about the
    Windows operating system. I am a middle-aged home user without any "techie"
    friends but have average to above average intelligence so I would love to
    have some peer to peer help, as I may not know what to look for when I search
    user groups and FAQ's and on-line helps such as these. Thanks in advance for
    your patience, Deb

    "Dee" wrote:

    > Hi Deb...
    > If you go to start, all programs, accessories, command prompt...type in:
    > jview
    > and hit enter.
    > If your version of JVM end in the numbers 3810, you can go here, download it, and
    > try re-installing it:
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3942
    > Post back if you seem to have then solved the problem or need further assistance.
    >
    > Take Care...
    > Dee
    >
    > Deb B. wrote:
    >
    > > Today upon startup, I got an error that popped up I have never seen before.
    > > It was "Java Virtual Machine Launcher-Fatal exception occurred. Program will
    > > exit."
    > > I clicked on OK . I rebooted the computer and the error reappeared at
    > > exactly the same time. I could not find any reference to this exact error in
    > > the Knowledge base and need to know what possibly could have caused this now,
    > > after several months of smooth sailing? I ignored the error , since I
    > > couldn't get rid of it anyway and haven't noticed any consequences yet. How
    > > do I get rid of this error and what problems can it cause if I don't clear
    > > this error up?

Virtual Machine Java Windows XP