error upon startup-Java Virtual Machine Launcher

Today upon startup, I got an error that popped up I have never seen before.
It was "Java Virtual Machine Launcher-Fatal exception occurred. Program will
exit."
I clicked on OK . I rebooted the computer and the error reappeared at
exactly the same time. I could not find any reference to this exact error in
the Knowledge base and need to know what possibly could have caused this now,
after several months of smooth sailing? I ignored the error , since I
couldn't get rid of it anyway and haven't noticed any consequences yet. How
do I get rid of this error and what problems can it cause if I don't clear
this error up?

Dee

Hi Deb...
If you go to start, all programs, accessories, command prompt...type in:
jview
and hit enter.
If your version of JVM end in the numbers 3810, you can go here, download it, and
try re-installing it:
Post back if you seem to have then solved the problem or need further assistance.

Take Care...
Dee

Deb B. wrote:

> Today upon startup, I got an error that popped up I have never seen before.
> It was "Java Virtual Machine Launcher-Fatal exception occurred. Program will
> exit."
> I clicked on OK . I rebooted the computer and the error reappeared at
> exactly the same time. I could not find any reference to this exact error in
> the Knowledge base and need to know what possibly could have caused this now,
> after several months of smooth sailing? I ignored the error , since I
> couldn't get rid of it anyway and haven't noticed any consequences yet. How
> do I get rid of this error and what problems can it cause if I don't clear
> this error up?

Thanks Dee ,
I followed your directions and went to the Command prompt. When I typed in
":jview" nothing happens. I am presented with the same line with the blinking
cursor at the end. I also typed "jview" with no preceding colon, but then I
actually got the errror message-" 'jview' is not recognized as an internal or
external command".
I have Windows XP home edition pre-installed and I updated to service pack 2
about a month ago and recently downloaded ad-aware software. I have been a
MacIntosh user for several years ,so I really know very little about the
Windows operating system. I am a middle-aged home user without any "techie"
friends but have average to above average intelligence so I would love to
have some peer to peer help, as I may not know what to look for when I search
user groups and FAQ's and on-line helps such as these. Thanks in advance for
your patience, Deb