Ugrading NT4 Domain to 2003 Advice

I have two new 2003 Servers which will replace 5 NT4 servers. Of the 5 NT4
servers, one is a PDC and one a BDC. There are a combination of workstations,
2000 PRo and XP Pro. I want to retire the older NT4 servers after migrating
data and software to the new servers. I am seeking advice on the best way of
running both, establishing an AD with the 2003 servers, and migrating the NT4
domain info (if possible and desireable). I will need to keep all running
until Oracle and MS SQL and the clients have been migrated and tested.

Thanks for any advice!
Don
2 answers Last reply
More about ugrading domain 2003 advice

    Hello,
    Migrate existing resources in the NT domain to the new Active Directory
    Domain with SIDHistory. SIDHistory means the security principals (accounts)
    will keep there Sid in the old NT domain, so they can access resources both
    in the NT and the AD domain during the migration process. I recommend you to
    have a look at ADMTv2 (Active Directory Migration Tool)

    How To Set Up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q260871

    --
    Regards
    Christoffer Andersson

    "Toyduck" <Toyduck@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >I have two new 2003 Servers which will replace 5 NT4 servers. Of the 5 NT4
    > servers, one is a PDC and one a BDC. There are a combination of
    > workstations,
    > 2000 PRo and XP Pro. I want to retire the older NT4 servers after
    > migrating
    > data and software to the new servers. I am seeking advice on the best way
    > of
    > running both, establishing an AD with the 2003 servers, and migrating the
    > NT4
    > domain info (if possible and desireable). I will need to keep all running
    > until Oracle and MS SQL and the clients have been migrated and tested.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!
    > Don

    Thank you, I will read up on using ADMT and SIDHistory. One last question, I
    hope to keep the same domain name...is that possible? Or will I have to
    establish and AD name different from the NT4 domain name?

    Thanks
    Don

    "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Migrate existing resources in the NT domain to the new Active Directory
    > Domain with SIDHistory. SIDHistory means the security principals (accounts)
    > will keep there Sid in the old NT domain, so they can access resources both
    > in the NT and the AD domain during the migration process. I recommend you to
    > have a look at ADMTv2 (Active Directory Migration Tool)
    >
    > How To Set Up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q260871
    >

    > --
    > Regards
    > Christoffer Andersson
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >
    > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    >
    > "Toyduck" <Toyduck@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > >I have two new 2003 Servers which will replace 5 NT4 servers. Of the 5 NT4
    > > servers, one is a PDC and one a BDC. There are a combination of
    > > workstations,
    > > 2000 PRo and XP Pro. I want to retire the older NT4 servers after
    > > migrating
    > > data and software to the new servers. I am seeking advice on the best way
    > > of
    > > running both, establishing an AD with the 2003 servers, and migrating the
    > > NT4
    > > domain info (if possible and desireable). I will need to keep all running
    > > until Oracle and MS SQL and the clients have been migrated and tested.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any advice!
    > > Don

Domain Servers Active Directory Windows