Thoughts on cooling suggestions for my upcoming rig?

sektor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
As I prepare for my next gaming rig, I was hoping to get some recommendations on items to cool my system. As I read about how CPU's and video cards can run hot, I want to make sure my system runs nice and cool.

Will I OC? Maybe, in the future, but nothing crazy like. No need for water cooling.

Case:

Looking for a nice case, but not overly extravagent. I'm a little lost here on what are good cases and which are the bad cases.

Heatsink for CPU:

Since I will probably be buying a dual core AMD here when the CPU price cuts happen, I will probably be looking at something like a 4200+ cpu.

I was looking at this one, but I am open to all recommendations:

Artic cooling Freezer

What about a cooler for the video card? I am currently debating between the following cards:

x1900xt
x1800xt
7900GT

I was looking at this Zalman cooler:

Zalman GPU cooler

Any other additional fans that are better than others?

What about thermal paste?

Any other thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks

scaramanga

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Are you just wanting it to run cool OR are you wanting it cool AND quiet?

The stock X2 cooler is pretty damn good and I would not worry about replacing it UNTIL you o/c and find it is getting too warm.

As far as the gfx card goes the stock coolers are usually good enough UNLESS you want to o/c it OR your ambient temp is over 40C. Even then unless your running high load you shouldn't have a problem.

If I were you I'd hold off buying extra coolers until you had tested the rig for a while and then if you find that it runs too hot look at further cooling. Usually the best option is to have a case with good ventilation and some quality 120mm fans.

If you want something quieter well then thats another story... it's hard to beat water cooling...

Cheers,
Scar

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I recommend a big case that supports 120mm fans. A big case gives plenty of room to work and 120mm fans move a lot of air but remain quiet. Arctic Silver 5 has remained one of the best thermal pastes around. As far as a heatsink/fan, I recommend the ThermalTake Big Typhoon. It cools great and is very quiet. Just be sure your case is big enough for it. Use round IDE cables if necessary. Also be sure to route cables carefully as to not block airflow. Space drives away from each other so the heat doesn't stack. I hear Zalman makes a great GPU cooler if you plan on OCing. Finally make sure you blow the dust out of your case regularly to prevent build up. You may even consider dust filters (at least for the air intake fans).

QuietFreek

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
to add my two cents worth; I agree the thermal take big typhoon is awesome and dead silent but check the clerences to the psu mount, i had to file a bit of mine off to get it to fit :wink:

for my case airflow i have the TT big typhoon and anouther 120mm fan blowing air onto the mobo & expansion cards through a hole in the side of my case and the psu to vent hot air from the top. All works allmost inaudably the HDD is the loudest component and thats in a sound dampning / decoupling enclosure!

sadsephiroth

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
My temps for a 3500 oc to 2550 and that heatsink.
are around 29c idle to 45c load in a 79f room (warmer than most) and a ac prop. looking ac exauhst and a sony 120 mm fan in front on fan controller. My pc is quieter than most at like 21db max load.