Epson 870 Printer Problem

To group:

I am experiencing horizontal red banding lines--primarily on the upper
half of letter size paper. The lines are on the upper part of the
paper in portrait printing and are not uniform from one print to the next.

I have done the following--mostly repetitive--to attempt a solution:

1) clean the print heads--nozzle checks OK

2) paper setting has been verified

3) new ink cartridge inserted

4) automatic mode selected

5) paper thickness at 0

6) print heads realigned

This problem has occured both with Epson and after market ink
cartridges, using both ink-jet and photo papers. Any help would be
appreciated.

Harvey
5 answers Last reply
More about epson printer problem

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:58:12 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers Hub
    <izydeco@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >To group:
    >
    >I am experiencing horizontal red banding lines--primarily on the upper
    >half of letter size paper. The lines are on the upper part of the
    >paper in portrait printing and are not uniform from one print to the next.
    >
    >I have done the following--mostly repetitive--to attempt a solution:
    >
    >1) clean the print heads--nozzle checks OK
    >
    >2) paper setting has been verified
    >
    >3) new ink cartridge inserted
    >
    >4) automatic mode selected
    >
    >5) paper thickness at 0
    >
    >6) print heads realigned
    >
    >This problem has occured both with Epson and after market ink
    >cartridges, using both ink-jet and photo papers. Any help would be
    >appreciated.

    Look at the paper rollers. and the docking station. The later requires
    removing the top cover. If the docking station is fouled with ink, so can
    be the bottom of the head. Move the printhead to the left as if you were
    changing a cartridge and look at the foam pad in the docking station. It's
    white foam. You can use some windex to moisten and them paper towel or
    cotton balls to wick the ink out of the foam. It may need to soak a bit to
    loosen dried ink. Then moisten the pad and return the head and turn off the
    printer for a while. Then move the head and see what ink came off the
    bottom of the head. Repeat until clean.

    ----------
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Good advice from Ed Ruff for starters. Before you do anything, though, send
    an email to Arthur Entlich whose email address is artistic@telus.net and ask
    him to email you his instructions on unclogging Epson print heads. Very
    comprehensive information and very effective.

    "Hub" <izydeco@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > To group:
    >
    > I am experiencing horizontal red banding lines--primarily on the upper
    > half of letter size paper. The lines are on the upper part of the paper
    > in portrait printing and are not uniform from one print to the next.
    >
    > I have done the following--mostly repetitive--to attempt a solution:
    >
    > 1) clean the print heads--nozzle checks OK
    >
    > 2) paper setting has been verified
    >
    > 3) new ink cartridge inserted
    >
    > 4) automatic mode selected
    >
    > 5) paper thickness at 0
    >
    > 6) print heads realigned
    >
    > This problem has occured both with Epson and after market ink cartridges,
    > using both ink-jet and photo papers. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Harvey

    Would you be kind enough, if you are able to make a scan of the defect
    you are experiencing, taking an area about 2" x 2" or equivalent, and
    scanning at 300 dpi, and jpeg it in high quality, and send it to me as
    an attachment using the address in the header of this message.

    I would like to see exactly what it is you are describing before
    diagnosing it. Once I see it, I will comment further.

    Art

    Hub wrote:

    > To group:
    >
    > I am experiencing horizontal red banding lines--primarily on the upper
    > half of letter size paper. The lines are on the upper part of the
    > paper in portrait printing and are not uniform from one print to the next.
    >
    > I have done the following--mostly repetitive--to attempt a solution:
    >
    > 1) clean the print heads--nozzle checks OK
    >
    > 2) paper setting has been verified
    >
    > 3) new ink cartridge inserted
    >
    > 4) automatic mode selected
    >
    > 5) paper thickness at 0
    >
    > 6) print heads realigned
    >
    > This problem has occured both with Epson and after market ink
    > cartridges, using both ink-jet and photo papers. Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Harvey

    Could you please send a scanned sample of the defect you are
    experiencing to me at the email address shown above?

    Please send a sample about 2" square or equivalent and at 300 dpi, jpegs
    to high quality.

    I will get back to you once I see the sample, so I am sure what I am
    looking at.

    Art

    Hub wrote:

    > To group:
    >
    > I am experiencing horizontal red banding lines--primarily on the upper
    > half of letter size paper. The lines are on the upper part of the
    > paper in portrait printing and are not uniform from one print to the next.
    >
    > I have done the following--mostly repetitive--to attempt a solution:
    >
    > 1) clean the print heads--nozzle checks OK
    >
    > 2) paper setting has been verified
    >
    > 3) new ink cartridge inserted
    >
    > 4) automatic mode selected
    >
    > 5) paper thickness at 0
    >
    > 6) print heads realigned
    >
    > This problem has occured both with Epson and after market ink
    > cartridges, using both ink-jet and photo papers. Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Harvey

    Hi Burt,

    Please update my address for you records. The telus address is no more.

    I can be reached at the address shown above in the header of this message.

    Art

    Burt wrote:

    > Good advice from Ed Ruff for starters. Before you do anything, though, send
    > an email to Arthur Entlich whose email address is artistic@telus.net and ask
    > him to email you his instructions on unclogging Epson print heads. Very
    > comprehensive information and very effective.
    >
    > "Hub" <izydeco@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Printers Epson Peripherals