Restoring domain controller

Hello. My company is going to be doing a disaster recovery test in the near
future and I just want to make sure of my procedure for restoring a domain
controller. Can you give me the correct procedure for restoring a domain
controller for both the same hardware and different hardware because I am not
sure of the server configuration at the restore site? Thank you.

Kevin

How to Back Up and Restore the System State in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q240363

Windows NT4.0 and Windows 2000 Disaster Recovery and Backup and Restore
Procedures:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q287061

Backup of the Active Directory Has 60-Day Useful Life:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q216993

Best Practices: Active Directory Forest Recovery:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3eda5a79-c99b-4df9-823c-933feba08cfe&DisplayLang=en

Recovering from Faild System Drive with Non-Default %systemroot% Folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235478

Regards,
/Jimmy
--
Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. My company is going to be doing a disaster recovery test in the
> near
> future and I just want to make sure of my procedure for restoring a domain
> controller. Can you give me the correct procedure for restoring a domain
> controller for both the same hardware and different hardware because I am
> not
> sure of the server configuration at the restore site? Thank you.
>
> Kevin

Thanks for your response. Let me give you a little more info. For this
test, I only have to restore one DC (the first one), and 2 member servers.
Which of these docs will give me the steps to restore the DC? I also don't
see the info about restoring to different hardware?

"Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:

> How to Back Up and Restore the System State in Windows 2000:
> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q240363
>
> Windows NT4.0 and Windows 2000 Disaster Recovery and Backup and Restore
> Procedures:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q287061
>
> Backup of the Active Directory Has 60-Day Useful Life:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q216993
>
> Best Practices: Active Directory Forest Recovery:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3eda5a79-c99b-4df9-823c-933feba08cfe&DisplayLang=en
>
> Recovering from Faild System Drive with Non-Default %systemroot% Folder:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235478
>
> Regards,
> /Jimmy
> --
> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello. My company is going to be doing a disaster recovery test in the
> > near
> > future and I just want to make sure of my procedure for restoring a domain
> > controller. Can you give me the correct procedure for restoring a domain
> > controller for both the same hardware and different hardware because I am
> > not
> > sure of the server configuration at the restore site? Thank you.
> >
> > Kevin

Take a look at this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q263532&

Regards,
/Jimmy
--

> Thanks for your response. Let me give you a little more info. For this
> test, I only have to restore one DC (the first one), and 2 member servers.
> Which of these docs will give me the steps to restore the DC? I also
> don't
> see the info about restoring to different hardware?
>
> "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> How to Back Up and Restore the System State in Windows 2000:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q240363
>>
>> Windows NT4.0 and Windows 2000 Disaster Recovery and Backup and Restore
>> Procedures:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q287061
>>
>> Backup of the Active Directory Has 60-Day Useful Life:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q216993
>>
>> Best Practices: Active Directory Forest Recovery:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3eda5a79-c99b-4df9-823c-933feba08cfe&DisplayLang=en
>>
>> Recovering from Faild System Drive with Non-Default %systemroot% Folder:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235478
>>
>> Regards,
>> /Jimmy
>> --
>> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>>

>> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello. My company is going to be doing a disaster recovery test in the
>> > near
>> > future and I just want to make sure of my procedure for restoring a
>> > domain
>> > controller. Can you give me the correct procedure for restoring a
>> > domain
>> > controller for both the same hardware and different hardware because I
>> > am
>> > not
>> > sure of the server configuration at the restore site? Thank you.
>> >
>> > Kevin

Thanks for the response. Just a question, it says to perform a full backup
but then you are only restoring the system partition and system state. The
server is setup up with the winnt directory and system state both on c so is
it true that is the drive that will be restored? Pardon all the questions, I
just want to make sure. Also, I am trying to get the doc for the disaster
recovery to the same hardware but it won't let me download it. Can you send
it to me? Thanks.

"Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:

> Take a look at this one:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q263532&
>
> Regards,
> /Jimmy
> --
> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your response. Let me give you a little more info. For this
> > test, I only have to restore one DC (the first one), and 2 member servers.
> > Which of these docs will give me the steps to restore the DC? I also
> > don't
> > see the info about restoring to different hardware?
> >
> > "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> How to Back Up and Restore the System State in Windows 2000:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q240363
> >>
> >> Windows NT4.0 and Windows 2000 Disaster Recovery and Backup and Restore
> >> Procedures:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q287061
> >>
> >> Backup of the Active Directory Has 60-Day Useful Life:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q216993
> >>
> >> Best Practices: Active Directory Forest Recovery:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3eda5a79-c99b-4df9-823c-933feba08cfe&DisplayLang=en
> >>
> >> Recovering from Faild System Drive with Non-Default %systemroot% Folder:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235478
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> /Jimmy
> >> --
> >> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
> >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
> >>

> >> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Yes, if you have it all on C, that's the drive to restore.
Send me an offline e-mail and I'll hunt down the doc for you.

Regards,
/Jimmy
--

> Thanks for the response. Just a question, it says to perform a full
> backup
> but then you are only restoring the system partition and system state.
> The
> server is setup up with the winnt directory and system state both on c so
> is
> it true that is the drive that will be restored? Pardon all the
> questions, I
> just want to make sure. Also, I am trying to get the doc for the disaster
> recovery to the same hardware but it won't let me download it. Can you
> send
> it to me? Thanks.
>
> "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Take a look at this one:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q263532&
>>
>> Regards,
>> /Jimmy
>> --
>> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>>

>> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for your response. Let me give you a little more info. For
>> > this
>> > test, I only have to restore one DC (the first one), and 2 member
>> > servers.
>> > Which of these docs will give me the steps to restore the DC? I also
>> > don't
>> > see the info about restoring to different hardware?

Thank you. What is your email address?

"Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:

> Yes, if you have it all on C, that's the drive to restore.
> Send me an offline e-mail and I'll hunt down the doc for you.
>
> Regards,
> /Jimmy
> --
> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the response. Just a question, it says to perform a full
> > backup
> > but then you are only restoring the system partition and system state.
> > The
> > server is setup up with the winnt directory and system state both on c so
> > is
> > it true that is the drive that will be restored? Pardon all the
> > questions, I
> > just want to make sure. Also, I am trying to get the doc for the disaster
> > recovery to the same hardware but it won't let me download it. Can you
> > send
> > it to me? Thanks.
> >
> > "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Take a look at this one:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q263532&
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> /Jimmy
> >> --
> >> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
> >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
> >>

> >> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Press reply and delete the spam part ;)

/Jimmy
--

> Thank you. What is your email address?
>
> "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, if you have it all on C, that's the drive to restore.
>> Send me an offline e-mail and I'll hunt down the doc for you.
>>
>> Regards,
>> /Jimmy
>> --
>> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>>

>> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the response. Just a question, it says to perform a full
>> > backup
>> > but then you are only restoring the system partition and system state.
>> > The
>> > server is setup up with the winnt directory and system state both on c
>> > so
>> > is
>> > it true that is the drive that will be restored? Pardon all the
>> > questions, I
>> > just want to make sure. Also, I am trying to get the doc for the
>> > disaster
>> > recovery to the same hardware but it won't let me download it. Can you
>> > send
>> > it to me? Thanks.

what are you talking about?

"Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:

> Press reply and delete the spam part ;)
>
> /Jimmy
> --
> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you. What is your email address?
> >
> > "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, if you have it all on C, that's the drive to restore.
> >> Send me an offline e-mail and I'll hunt down the doc for you.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> /Jimmy
> >> --
> >> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
> >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
> >>

> >> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If you're using OE, press the Reply button and then edit my e-mail, i.e.
remove the Spam part in the mail address...

Regards,
/Jimmy