Minor issue that bugs me (Please HELP)

iceghost83

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hello all,
This is my first post here so here goes.

My System: Athlon 64 3700+ (san diego, if that matters at all); Abit KN8 SLI; 2gb ddr400 corsair CMX (w/platnum heatspreaders); 450w ATX ps (came with my Raidmax tower); 200 gb maxtor (6b200s0); ATI Radeon x800xl; Sound Blaster X-Fi xtreme music.

My issue is when I go to restart my pc it takes about 1 min (im not exaggerating) to go to the shutting down screen, then restarts within less than 30 seconds. BF2 takes forever to connect to account server and when I close a window (firefox or even a regular folder) the system locks up for about 5 seconds but I can still move the mouse around.

I have all the latest drivers, latest version of bios and all the components seem to operate normally. I have almost nothing running in the background and there are no viruses and probably almost no spyware on this system.

I wouldnt complain but I put about $1200 into this system and its disapointing to know there are $600-$700 systems out there that dont have these issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
yeah definently try a few spyware tools(spybot, ad-aware)
r u sure its not some program always using 100% cpu usage all the time?

if all else fails reinstall windows(that should be microsofts slogan)

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I have the same 'lag' issues. I believe it related the the amount of resources that Firefox and my Google desktop take on my system. When I did a fresh install a few months back I used SVS to deploy all my non-OS programs. I could see that my degrigation came from Firefox, and other progs.

If you want to try it out its a free product from Altiris right now check it out and test it to see what progs are bogging your system. SVS

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
This definitely sounds like something is sucking up the resources. Have you done cntl+alt+delete (task manager) to see what process are running?

iceghost83

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Ok ill try to dl filemon and see what it is, is it fairly self explanitory? or does it take someone that is very familiar to operate properly.

Goto google and type in mcafee......... the anti-virus people. But you don't want the anti-virus tool, you want the anti- spyware tool. It may take you some time to find it, because the site is laid out screwy, but download it and run it. Bet you'll find the culprits. It's only a 30 day free trial, but it works good.

Another good 30 day trail anti-spyware can be found at trend micro.

NewbieTechGod

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hello all,

My System: Athlon 64 3700+ (san diego, if that matters at all); Abit KN8 SLI; 2gb ddr400 corsair CMX (w/platnum heatspreaders); 450w ATX ps (came with my Raidmax tower); 200 gb maxtor (6b200s0); ATI Radeon x800xl; Sound Blaster X-Fi xtreme music.

My issue is when I go to restart my pc it takes about 1 min (im not exaggerating) to go to the shutting down screen, then restarts within less than 30 seconds. BF2 takes forever to connect to account server and when I close a window (firefox or even a regular folder) the system locks up for about 5 seconds but I can still move the mouse around.

I have all the latest drivers, latest version of bios and all the components seem to operate normally. I have almost nothing running in the background and there are no viruses and probably almost no spyware on this system.

I wouldnt complain but I put about $1200 into this system and its disapointing to know there are $600-$700 systems out there that dont have these issues. Any help would be appreciated.

It's most certainly software related, as someone here has mentioned.

I don't have an answer for you at this time concerning your gaming problems, but I can help you (and everyone else on here) with faster shutdowns and restarts.

First, create a new shortcut on your desktop (Windows will start a shortcut creation wizard), and point it to this location:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe

Once you do that, right-click it, choose properties, then add the following to the end of the above line in the target box:

-r -f -t 0

Once done, it should look like this:

C:WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -f -t 0 (please note the spaces)

Then change the icon, and rename your new shortcut to Restart.

Follow the above steps to make another shortcut, use the same target, but change the parameters to the following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 0

Change its icon also, and rename it to Shutdown.

Windows will aways insist on shutting down apps and processes gracefully, but phuck that because, as we all know, some apps just don't go away nicely. This forces Windows to shut everything down right the phuck now.

You should also investigate disabling certain Windows services as well, for they too eat up valuable resources, even on top-end machines.

I had more to write, but it was getting too long.

Hello all,

It's most certainly software related, as someone here has mentioned.

I don't have an answer for you at this time concerning your gaming problems, but I can help you (and everyone else on here) with faster shutdowns and restarts.

First, create a new shortcut on your desktop (Windows will start a shortcut creation wizard), and point it to this location:

C:WINDOWSsystem32shutdown.exe

Once you do that, right-click it, choose properties, then add the following to the end of the above line in the target box:

-r -f -t 0

Once done, it should look like this:

C:WINDOWSsystem32shutdown.exe -r -f -t 0 (please note the spaces)

Then change the icon, and rename your new shortcut to Restart.

Follow the above steps to make another shortcut, use the same target, but change the parameters to the following:

C:WINDOWSsystem32shutdown.exe -s -f -t 0

Change its icon also, and rename it to Shutdown.

Windows will aways insist on shutting down apps and processes gracefully, but phuck that because, as we all know, some apps just don't go away nicely. This forces Windows to shut everything down right the phuck now.

You should also investigate disabling certain Windows services as well, for they too eat up valuable resources, even on top-end machines.

I had more to write, but it was getting too long.

:!: Couldn't let this go........ tech god....... you are F^&&cked up

iceghost83

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
OK I have tried filemon, and i did notice a S**T loead of Mozilla. The questions is what do i do about it?

oh yeah... If any of you play BF2 and are good pilots please tell me how to acquire targets with jets for a bombing run, I miss way too often.