How to enable the "create exchange mailbox" through users ..

Hi,

you know when you create a user and after you set the password it
usually then goes onto the final, "finish" window....well on two of our
servers this is not the case. Between setting the password screen and
the final screen we get a "new object" window where we can put a tick
into "create an exchange mailbox" and give that person an alias.
This then creates a mailbox for that user and hey presto you don't have
to log into exchange server seperately to do your stuff all the info is
taken from active directory and you're done.

However, I now need a couple of users who open up users and computers
from a mmc on their PCs and when they add a new user (after I've
install the admin pack to enable them to have the snap in) they don't
have this option to create an exchange mailbox.

Obviously something was done to enable this on these 2 servers that
allow us to do this, however i do not know what it was.

Can someone please talk me though what i need to do?

Everlasting life is yours if you do :)
Ta.

System 2003 active directory and 2003 exchange server.

<erectmember@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> you know when you create a user and after you set the password it
> usually then goes onto the final, "finish" window....well on two of our
> servers this is not the case. Between setting the password screen and
> the final screen we get a "new object" window where we can put a tick
> into "create an exchange mailbox" and give that person an alias.
> This then creates a mailbox for that user and hey presto you don't have
> to log into exchange server seperately to do your stuff all the info is
> taken from active directory and you're done.
>
> However, I now need a couple of users who open up users and computers
> from a mmc on their PCs and when they add a new user (after I've
> install the admin pack to enable them to have the snap in) they don't
> have this option to create an exchange mailbox.
>
> Obviously something was done to enable this on these 2 servers that
> allow us to do this, however i do not know what it was.
>
> Can someone please talk me though what i need to do?
>
> Everlasting life is yours if you do :)
> Ta.
>
> System 2003 active directory and 2003 exchange server.

The Exchange Management tools need to be installed on those specific
machines you want to do this from. The default ADUC dll's do not have the
Exchange extensions to allow the extra functionality. Just throw the
Exchange cdrom in, and opt to install the tools only. The tools will only
work on Win2000 SP3 or XP SP1 or newer. Of course, the adminpak tools need
to be installed first

--
Regards,
Ace

G O E A G L E S !!!
so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Great thanks Ace and Cliff. I will get the exchange management tools
installed on the machine to enable that functionality.

And yes, I've already got the adminpak installed and the functionality
is not there so looks like i need to do this.
Isn't google groups great now? I love this realtime posting it rocks!

Ace, Cliff help!

I have installed the exchange tools and have the tick box for creating
an exchange mailbox but now the "next" button is greyed out when I'm
logged on as this user and at that particular stage.

I assume that this is a rights issue however where do i set the right
that allows them to create this mailbox please?

Thanks.

Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
> In news:1rh9r01mb3b9751n97u5p8anmoeld8rf9e@4ax.com,
> Enkidu <enkidu@xyzcliffpxyz.com> made a post then I commented below
>
> > Hi Ace,
> >
> > I've not worked on Exchange (2000) for some time now, but I dimly
seem
> > to recall that the Adminpak from the Windows 2000 CD was what was
> > required to give Exchange functionality in ADUC. I seem to remember
> > that the Exchange Tools were for managing Exchange only. Am I
> > mis-remembering, or is it different for Exchange 2003?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Cliff
>
> Hi Cliff,
>
> Unfortunately, the default ADUC snap-in, even from the adminpak.msi,
doesn't
> have Exchange functionality in it, whether Exchange 2000 or 2003. The

> Exchange management tools need to be installed to get them. It
installs it's
> own version of ADUC, which does have them. If you look in
> Start/Programs/Exchange, you will see it's own ADUC that gets
installed with
> the tools.
>
> I haven't tried this, but maybe one can copy the ADUC dll (can't
remember
> the name of it at this time), and overwrite the dll on a machine with
the
> default ADUC installed, but I don't think it will work, because I
believe
> there are other extensions to make it work. Maybe I'll toy with this
in the
> future sometime.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ace

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:42:40 -0500, "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<firstnamelastname@hotmail.com> wrote:

><erectmember@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> you know when you create a user and after you set the password it
>> usually then goes onto the final, "finish" window....well on two of our
>> servers this is not the case. Between setting the password screen and
>> the final screen we get a "new object" window where we can put a tick
>> into "create an exchange mailbox" and give that person an alias.
>> This then creates a mailbox for that user and hey presto you don't have
>> to log into exchange server seperately to do your stuff all the info is
>> taken from active directory and you're done.
>>
>> However, I now need a couple of users who open up users and computers
>> from a mmc on their PCs and when they add a new user (after I've
>> install the admin pack to enable them to have the snap in) they don't
>> have this option to create an exchange mailbox.
>>
>> Obviously something was done to enable this on these 2 servers that
>> allow us to do this, however i do not know what it was.
>>
>> Can someone please talk me though what i need to do?
>>
>> Everlasting life is yours if you do :)
>> Ta.
>>
>> System 2003 active directory and 2003 exchange server.
>>

>The Exchange Management tools need to be installed on those specific
>machines you want to do this from. The default ADUC dll's do not have the
>Exchange extensions to allow the extra functionality. Just throw the
>Exchange cdrom in, and opt to install the tools only. The tools will only
>work on Win2000 SP3 or XP SP1 or newer. Of course, the adminpak tools need
>to be installed first

Hi Ace,

I've not worked on Exchange (2000) for some time now, but I dimly seem
to recall that the Adminpak from the Windows 2000 CD was what was
required to give Exchange functionality in ADUC. I seem to remember
that the Exchange Tools were for managing Exchange only. Am I
mis-remembering, or is it different for Exchange 2003?

Cheers,

Cliff
--

These twin-CPU hyperthreading computers are really
great! We can wait ten to a hundred times faster

In news:1rh9r01mb3b9751n97u5p8anmoeld8rf9e@4ax.com,
Enkidu <enkidu@xyzcliffpxyz.com> made a post then I commented below

> Hi Ace,
>
> I've not worked on Exchange (2000) for some time now, but I dimly seem
> to recall that the Adminpak from the Windows 2000 CD was what was
> required to give Exchange functionality in ADUC. I seem to remember
> that the Exchange Tools were for managing Exchange only. Am I
> mis-remembering, or is it different for Exchange 2003?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Unfortunately, the default ADUC snap-in, even from the adminpak.msi, doesn't
have Exchange functionality in it, whether Exchange 2000 or 2003. The
Exchange management tools need to be installed to get them. It installs it's
own version of ADUC, which does have them. If you look in
Start/Programs/Exchange, you will see it's own ADUC that gets installed with
the tools.

I haven't tried this, but maybe one can copy the ADUC dll (can't remember
the name of it at this time), and overwrite the dll on a machine with the
default ADUC installed, but I don't think it will work, because I believe
there are other extensions to make it work. Maybe I'll toy with this in the
future sometime.

Cheers!

Ace

In news:1102418048.994546.239230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
erectmember@gmail.com <erectmember@gmail.com> made a post then I commented
below
> Ace, Cliff help!
>
> I have installed the exchange tools and have the tick box for creating
> an exchange mailbox but now the "next" button is greyed out when I'm
> logged on as this user and at that particular stage.
>
> I assume that this is a rights issue however where do i set the right
> that allows them to create this mailbox please?
>
> Thanks.

The user creating the user account and mailbox, must have permissions in AD
to create a user account, as well as permissions in Exchange under the
Administrative group where the store exists, to create the mailbox.

326275 - XADM White Paper - Working with Exchange 2000 Store Permissions:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326275

If you want to give specific permissions without overall permissions thru AD
and Exchange without giving Exchange Administrative permissions, see this.
This was written a while back, but the actual official article is out,
however I do not have the article number:

Unofficial word from MS on delegated user attributes needed to create a
mailbox and other Exchange attributes on a user account:
http://windows.stanford.edu/w2kinfrastructure/e2kattrib.htm

Ace

Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
> In news:1102418048.994546.239230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
> erectmember@gmail.com <erectmember@gmail.com> made a post then I
commented
> below
> > Ace, Cliff help!
> >
> > I have installed the exchange tools and have the tick box for
creating
> > an exchange mailbox but now the "next" button is greyed out when
I'm
> > logged on as this user and at that particular stage.
> >
> > I assume that this is a rights issue however where do i set the
right
> > that allows them to create this mailbox please?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> The user creating the user account and mailbox, must have permissions
in AD
> to create a user account, as well as permissions in Exchange under
the
> Administrative group where the store exists, to create the mailbox.

Makes sense. For now what I've done is added the user into the EXCH_OPS
group but can't get the darn user to get back to me to see if it
worked. The permissions in AD should be/are fine as I've used the
delegate control function.
However Ace, do you know how to display permissions that you have set
through delegate control? ie how you would get a listing of user for a
particular OU for whom you have given permissions through the delegate
control wizard? Like you would get for say the NTFS permissions for a
file/folder for example.
Can't seem to find a way to list em.

> 326275 - XADM White Paper - Working with Exchange 2000 Store
Permissions:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326275
>
> If you want to give specific permissions without overall permissions
thru AD
> and Exchange without giving Exchange Administrative permissions, see
this.
> This was written a while back, but the actual official article is
out,
> however I do not have the article number:
>
> Unofficial word from MS on delegated user attributes needed to create
> mailbox and other Exchange attributes on a user account:
> http://windows.stanford.edu/w2kinfrastructure/e2kattrib.htm
>
> Ace

Thx.

In news:1102500931.294249.8930@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
erectmember@gmail.com <erectmember@gmail.com> made a post then I commented
below
> Makes sense. For now what I've done is added the user into the
> EXCH_OPS group but can't get the darn user to get back to me to see
> if it worked. The permissions in AD should be/are fine as I've used
> the delegate control function.
> However Ace, do you know how to display permissions that you have set
> through delegate control? ie how you would get a listing of user for a
> particular OU for whom you have given permissions through the delegate
> control wizard? Like you would get for say the NTFS permissions for a
> file/folder for example.
> Can't seem to find a way to list em.

Make sure the view options are set to Advanced View, and the security tab
shows up. For delegation, I believe a 'create' mailbox is one of them, but
can't remember and don't have a server in front of me.

Ace