Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

For me the only option to get something faster than dial-up is ISDN.
I know, it's not great and it's expensive. Be as it may, I have to
do with ISDN. I am wondering if it is possible to get VoIP service
over the ISDN connection. With ISDN I get the bandwidth associated
with the two B channels (128K) which in theory would be plenty
for good voice traffic.
However, reading the offerings from various VoIP services, they only
mention DSL or cable as suitable VoIP avenues. Does any of you guys
have VoIP working on an ISDN connection?

Leo <no_spam_leo@velocitus.net> wrote:
> For me the only option to get something faster than dial-up is ISDN.
> I know, it's not great and it's expensive. Be as it may, I have to
> do with ISDN. I am wondering if it is possible to get VoIP service
> over the ISDN connection. With ISDN I get the bandwidth associated
> with the two B channels (128K) which in theory would be plenty
> for good voice traffic.
> However, reading the offerings from various VoIP services, they only
> mention DSL or cable as suitable VoIP avenues. Does any of you guys
> have VoIP working on an ISDN connection?

Yes, there should be no reason why this can't work. I think the reason you
don't hear much about it is that ISDN has become quite uncommon most places.

miguel

Why not use one of the B-Channels for voice? Most ISDN routers can
automatically add and drop a B Channel from your data connection when it is
needed for voice.

I have some Cisco 804 ISDN routers with 2 pots ports available for sale at a
good price if you are interested.

Mike Schumann

"Leo" <no_spam_leo@velocitus.net> wrote in message
> For me the only option to get something faster than dial-up is ISDN.
> I know, it's not great and it's expensive. Be as it may, I have to
> do with ISDN. I am wondering if it is possible to get VoIP service
> over the ISDN connection. With ISDN I get the bandwidth associated
> with the two B channels (128K) which in theory would be plenty
> for good voice traffic.
> However, reading the offerings from various VoIP services, they only
> mention DSL or cable as suitable VoIP avenues. Does any of you guys
> have VoIP working on an ISDN connection?

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

> Why not use one of the B-Channels for voice? Most ISDN routers can
> automatically add and drop a B Channel from your data connection when it
> is needed for voice.
>
> I have some Cisco 804 ISDN routers with 2 pots ports available for sale at
> a good price if you are interested.
>
> Mike Schumann

Yes, the B channels and the pot ports can be directly used for voice,
only however under the supervision/billing of the Telco (as far as I know
....)
thus negating the price advantage of the VoIP scheme.

Leo

"Miguel Cruz" <mnc@admin.u.nu> wrote in message
> Leo <no_spam_leo@velocitus.net> wrote:
> > For me the only option to get something faster than dial-up is ISDN.
> > I know, it's not great and it's expensive. Be as it may, I have to
> > do with ISDN. I am wondering if it is possible to get VoIP service
> > over the ISDN connection. With ISDN I get the bandwidth associated
> > with the two B channels (128K) which in theory would be plenty
> > for good voice traffic.
> > However, reading the offerings from various VoIP services, they only
> > mention DSL or cable as suitable VoIP avenues. Does any of you guys
> > have VoIP working on an ISDN connection?
>
> Yes, there should be no reason why this can't work. I think the reason you
> don't hear much about it is that ISDN has become quite uncommon most
places.

> miguel
> --
> Hit The Road! Photos from 36 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
> Latest photos: Queens Day in Amsterdam; the Grand Canyon; Amman, Jordan

What is ISDN replaced with?

Orc General <orc_general@hotmailNOSPEM.com> wrote:
> "Miguel Cruz" <mnc@admin.u.nu> wrote:
>> Leo <no_spam_leo@velocitus.net> wrote:
>>> However, reading the offerings from various VoIP services, they only
>>> mention DSL or cable as suitable VoIP avenues. Does any of you guys
>>> have VoIP working on an ISDN connection?
>>
>> Yes, there should be no reason why this can't work. I think the reason
>> you don't hear much about it is that ISDN has become quite uncommon most
>> places.
>
> What is ISDN replaced with?

2B+D is squeezed out by DSL and cable modems.

PRI isn't going anywhere, I should have clarified.

miguel

In Qwest territory, if you have ISDN, voice channels are a freebee. You
still have to pay long distance charges (you can use any carrier, just like
on an analog line), but local calls are free. Also, the standard price
includes most options you can think of (Caller ID, Call Transfer, Call
Conference, etc....). It turns out that the ISDN pricing is less than 2
business lines, so it's a relatively good deal just for voice.